speakers for large area

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

We are in the final stage of designing the new house where the family and kitchen will be combined or should i say more of an open space area.
It will be an area of around 40 to 50 sqm with 3m ceiling and timber flooring.
I was wondering what speakers would fill that space(regardless of source and amp as will worry about that aftwerwards)?let it be standmounts or floorstands.Also one requirement i d like is for them to have a wide dispersion as i don t have the luxury to sit in the sweet spot for long period of times courtesy of 2 kids but i always have music on and still want to enjoy proper hifi whereever m in the room.Budget up to 4000 quids but may put more depending on final touches to the house, but if i can get away with less. i ll be happier...
lastly something with a bit of wife acceptance factor will always be good but that s fairly minor..
sincerely in advance john

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO The speaker that meets all your criteria is the Kef Reference 203/2.

ie. Good dispersion (tweeter arrangement); Floorstander (needed in that size of room); wife acceptance (the dearer finishes are gorgeous but expensive); not as warm as Proac/PMC and more detailed etc, and not as forward as Focal); great with Electrocampaniet; within budget.......definately put on audition list. It's in a totally different league to cheaper Kefs.

Cno

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Another contender is Tannoy DC8T for a floorstand. Very open without the tight sweet spot focus a lot of speakers opt for. Wife friendly as well. We have been running ours this week through a series of demonstrations and they really fill the space in the shop well.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Would a pair of second-hand (mint condition) B&W 804s or 803s do the job? Certainly have the looks (wife factor) and from my experience of a relative's pair of 804s - they had pretty broad coverage? A few pairs on fleabay at the mo' for around 2 grand - wife closed down the computer while I was admiring them :-(

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
stpierre76 said:
Hi all, We are in the final stage of designing the new house where the family and kitchen will be combined or should i say more of an open space area. It will be an area of around 40 to 50 sqm with 3m ceiling and timber flooring. I was wondering what speakers would fill that space(regardless of source and amp as will worry about that aftwerwards)?let it be standmounts or floorstands.Also one requirement i d like is for them to have a wide dispersion as i don t have the luxury to sit in the sweet spot for long period of times courtesy of 2 kids but i always have music on and still want to enjoy proper hifi whereever m in the room.Budget up to 4000 quids but may put more depending on final touches to the house, but if i can get away with less. i ll be happier... lastly something with a bit of wife acceptance factor will always be good but that s fairly minor.. sincerely in advance john

well. with such a vast space to fill and not wanting to be tied in the sweet spot I'd try omnidirectional speakers for size :).

MBLs might be out of the budget but how about Duevels? Venus's or maybe even Bella Luna's would definitely suit your requirements (although I don't know how restricting is your WAF? does your wife like abstract sculptures?). omnis by their very nature don't create a sweet spot but they disperse sound waves with equal energy in all directions. and wall reflections are actually desirable effect with this kind of speakers. the idea is to try to recreate a real musical performance in your living room.

stpierre76 said:
Hi all, We are in the final stage of designing the new house where the family and kitchen will be combined or should i say more of an open space area. It will be an area of around 40 to 50 sqm with 3m ceiling and timber flooring. I was wondering what speakers would fill that space(regardless of source and amp as will worry about that aftwerwards)?let it be standmounts or floorstands.Also one requirement i d like is for them to have a wide dispersion as i don t have the luxury to sit in the sweet spot for long period of times courtesy of 2 kids but i always have music on and still want to enjoy proper hifi whereever m in the room.Budget up to 4000 quids but may put more depending on final touches to the house, but if i can get away with less. i ll be happier... lastly something with a bit of wife acceptance factor will always be good but that s fairly minor.. sincerely in advance john

Hi John

I think you also need to look at Monitor Audio's Platinum 200 and Dynaudio's Contour S 3.4 speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO The speaker that meets all your criteria is the Kef Reference 203/2. ie. Good dispersion (tweeter arrangement); Floorstander (needed in that size of room); wife acceptance (the dearer finishes are gorgeous but expensive); not as warm as Proac/PMC and more detailed etc, and not as forward as Focal); great with Electrocampaniet; within budget.......definately put on audition list. It's in a totally different league to cheaper Kefs. Cno

Agreed. KEF tend to have a wider dispersion than many other hi-fi speakers, which is great for AV, and a big help to those who can't sit in the 'sweetspot'. They're easy to place too as they're front ported, and incorporate room boundary compensation controls to help match them to virtually any room.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Bozak Concert Grands or Symphonys. Preferably bi-amped. You can buy them for £500 to £1000, leaving plenty in the budget for an additional amp and an active crossover. These are properly engineered speakers that would have been hugely expensive when new.

The Bozaks have a way of filling large rooms even at low volumes. They're 93db efficient and easy 8 ohm loads making them amplifier friendly. They can be used with either solid state or valve amplification or both (valves for the midrange and treble and solid state for the bass). The vertical array of 8 tweeters helps maintain tonal balance in a wide variety of listening positions.

They have a smooth non-fatiguing midrange whilst also being dynamic. Some people might find them too smooth. Proper bass from these too. Great for percussive transients and following the tune of the bass guitarist.

I'm sure there must be other proper sized sealed box speakers that would also fill your room with beautiful music.

For a room like yours I would not use some pathetically small modern 2 way or 3 way speakers as these will just sound as if they're shouting to be heard. Small speakers sound like small speakers - especially in a large room.

Some people like poly-directional speakers such as Shahinians. I found the ones I've heard a bit difuse sounding and I'm not into speakers that give amplifiers a hard time. Speakers can be a very personal choice. Try to hear a few different ones before blowing £4000. Or buy 2nd hand at a price you can sell them on for if you don't prefer them to whatever you've got already.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi oldric and thanks for your input.I am indeed interested in the venus and wife even thinks they are groovy...Not much info on them at the moment.Googled a few times but not much luck..I prefer the belle luna, but wow, steep price rise...
HAd any experience with either??
sincerely yours

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts