Speakers for Kandy K2 amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system is, Kandy K2 amplifier and Rega R3 speakers listening mainly to lossless files via my laptop,Squeezebox and Dacmagic.

I am looking to upgrade the speakers as the sound is a liitle harsh and forward/bright at times.

So far I have listened to:

Neat motive 2 - Thought the bass was a little boomy and tended towards brightness when pushed, not really much of an improvement over my Rega's

PMC GB1i - Warmer sounding and probably the best I have heard so far, although they are a little bigger than I expected.

I will be auditioning the new Rega RS3 when my local dealer gets some more stock, but |I suspect they will not provide the slighly more neutral/warmer sound I am looking for.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a floorstander under £1500 that will give my amp a little warmer sound?

My listening room is 4.5m by 3m - wooden floors

My listening tastes are Nirvana, Morcheeba, Radiohead, MGMT, Placebo, Simon & Garfunkel (so really a bit of everything)

Touring round my local hifi shops I have noticed that some dealers look horrified when you suggest a home demo, anyone else had similar experiences?

Any input is much appreciated

Ta

A

Anonymous

Well the obvious choice for me is the Spendor A5. They're very neutral so might give you the sound you're after. I think they'd match the K2 well. Alternatively you could try the S5e, the older model, for a more laid back sound.

A

Anonymous

I agree. The Spendor A5's would be a good match for your kit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies chaps, I will try and find a local dealer for a demo

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
These maybe ?

KandyK2Speaker.jpg

A

Anonymous

Def worth a try but I would be surprised if a ribbon tweeter isn't a touch on the brighter than neutral side of things.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:So a ribbon tweeter is brighter than usual ? I've never heard of a ribbon tweeter before.

Well, I don't have enough first-hand experience to answer this properly. A ribbon tweeter will have a greater range than the usual dome tweeters (I think super-tweeters are typically ribbon types). Greater range will result in a more open, airy sound that may come across as brighter in some situations, not helped by acoustic reflections. Think Dali Icon range or MA Platinum. Having said that, it'll come down to how the designer has tuned the crossover and how well the speakers are matched to source and amp.

Ribbon tweeters are certainly considered to be a very high performance component in most circles.

If I had issues with my treble caused by source or amp, I doubt I'd be looking to highly revealing ribbon tweeters to solve it. However, if the amp and source are capable of good treble then they'll be great. Not something to mate with budget components I suspect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts