Speakers for extreme metal

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, just trying to warm up for the football, so therefore obviously listening to Slayer's classic album "Reign in Blood".

Set up is Onkyo TX 8050 via Marantz CD63 KI sig through Mission 571.

It sounds awesome, but not awesome enough. So, switched to the Onkyo driving the AE109s - MORE AWESOME!

Then switched to my Pioneer A400 driving the AE109s - YET MORE AWESOME...

Clearly, I have too much time on my hands - taxi coming in about an hour.

However, then just switched to my Pioneer A400 driving my Cerwin Vega VS10s - for metal this is just ridiculous. The low down bass grunt here is fantastic. Admittedltly not very hifi. I am a heathen.

So, my question is - does anyone else listen to extreme metal (and believe me, I understand that Slayer is not the most extreme metal, I do listen to much worse, Pig Destroyer for example!). In which case, what is a great amp/speaker combo for this music?

I'm crazy about metal, just can't help myself, but also electronica, krautrock, indie, blah blah. I'm about to splunge on a new system for my new house extension, was thinking all Rega as just heard this round a friend's house listening to Meshuggah. Was very good. Brio R plus Rega RS5s I think.

Any suggestions for amp/speaker combo to deal with extreme metal and/or electronica (think Aphex Twin/Venetian Snares etc).

Thinking of spending about £2k - listening area will be about 4m by 5m. Budget excludes source as already have access to streaming stuff, and happy to spend a few hundred or more on DAC. So £2k for amp and speakers. Happy to spend much less, for example heard Q Acoustics 2050i and thought they would be great.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup, very tempted by the new Kef R series! Look beautiful and by all acounts will handle all sorts of music. The kind of music I want to listen to I guess needs a degree of brightness combined with some serious bass grunt.

I do like Shirley Bassey too. And Neil Diamond.

Tricky, innit?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is the sort of money you can get the M3i ex-dem for:
http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516641

This also gives the type of presentation that you're looking for ie. Powerful and exciting but without being too bright...check the reviews on-line, and then try to demo.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of huge speakers that are great for your types of music, but they would visually dominate your 4m by 5m room. Maybe some JBL L100's would be a good compromise between size and sound quality for you?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I would like some speakers that kind of blend in more than the JBLs. Kef R series I like a lot.

Bass on my AE109s is great, huge and wide, but not tight enough. Does that make sense?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Would you consider a sub as part of the system? That's the way I'd probably go for that type of music. Or for any type of music, really.

If I was spending half of that £2k budget on speakers, I'd probably go for something like the MA RX2 with a decent sub. You'd get a more refined pair of speakers for £1k, but you wouldn't get the bass performance. And if you liked the CVs you should like that kinda thing!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
For extreme metal, I'd be looking at a sub. Bands like Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad, Veil Of Maya, etc, use so much sub bass, you'd be missing out with anything less IMO. I listen to some proper heavy stuff too and wouldn't be without my sub.

I too am keen to check out the Kef R series speakers, but as I use my PV1 for bass, I'd probably only need to look at the R300 rather than the R500/700/900. Even if I didn't already have my sub, I still think I'd rather pay out £2200 for a pair of R300 plus a PV-1D than £2000 on R700s.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
ATC SCM19 + Big power amp would be my choice at that kind of money. Might be worth a demo.

They did electronica very very well IMO.

As a curve ball, the JBL Studio Monitor 4307 and 4319 look interesting, large 10"/12" bass drivers 8)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The little that I gather about Metal is the complex nature and that makes it very tough for most hifi equipment.

1. A sub is a must. My obvious choice is PV1 but if there is funds constraint I would say go for a less pricier but along with a floor standing speakers

2. Floor standing speakers displace more air and the bigger size of the drivers in the speakers then better

3. I am not too sure whether you ever want to listen metal at low volume back ground music. If it is always / mostly high volume then the more value comes from PA speakers (likes of JBL Eon or Electrovoice). IMO, the difference between PA and HiFi is that PA perform better than HiFi for the same money but at higher volumes only.

4. If not too much and if metal is important then I will have two systems. One with JBL EON based (there are packages available and if space is no limit I will go for the 15" driver version - You can check on thomann.co.uk) and a smaller Marantz 603 based system or retain the existing gear!

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
for me for rock/metal the entire setup should have good bass extention with the right balance, well timed, agile and fast, open coherent sound, if these attributes are there even a small speaker at low volume sounds engaging.

think Dynaudios would be better choice than Monitor audios or Kefs for these type of music and amps/cdplayers/dacs from Exposure or Nad better than Marantz/yamaha/Cambridge Audio

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I listen to metal / rock and can recommend AVIs.

The have DAC & amp inside. Obviously the 40s are quite a bit over budget

But you could go with the new Red Spot AVI ADM9T + sub for £2050.

I demoed the 9s (without the sub, £1250) at the same time as the 40s I listened to Rammstein and the were superb.

Id demo if you could. If you're near gloucestershire you could visit the factory, or many AVI owners seem willing to demo.

BTW I've got Reign in Blood on order.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
In complete agrrement with previous post re AVI ADM 9T and AVI sub. All the complexity of the music handled by the 9s and then the hit of the matched sub. They go incredibly loud without distorting and will satisfy your weaker moments listening to Diamond and Bassey??????????????

Seems like some of your listening is about as good as your football predictions. :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts