speakers for cyrus

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am about to buy a cyrus cd8se and matching 8xpd amp, however im not sure about the choice of floorstanders. My budget is about £2000 ish. I have been recommended some spendor a6 speakers but i intend to bi amp my speakers in about a month with a cyrus power amp,so i would like some recommendations of suitable speakers for the set up. I have seen some discounted ATC scm40's and by all accounts they are great , but i dont like the look of the big square boxes. I like the look of some of the PMC stuff , would these suit the system and are there any others i should consider ?

Thanks for any advice

Mark

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My other half had the Cyrus 8vs2 with the XPower and she had the B&W CM7 speakers so those or the CM9's IMO would deffo be worth a demo
emotion-5.gif
Superb soundstage

I agree though that the Spendor speakers would be worthy as would speakers from the ATC and PMC range.

A

Anonymous

Might be worth investigating Vienna Acoustics. I'm not sure what you'd get for your budget but I understand Cyrus like using these.

mmoore73:
Hello,

I am about to buy a cyrus cd8se and matching 8xpd amp, however im not sure about the choice of floorstanders. My budget is about £2000 ish. I have been recommended some spendor a6 speakers but i intend to bi amp my speakers in about a month with a cyrus power amp,so i would like some recommendations of suitable speakers for the set up. I have seen some discounted ATC scm40's and by all accounts they are great , but i dont like the look of the big square boxes. I like the look of some of the PMC stuff , would these suit the system and are there any others i should consider ?

Thanks for any advice

Mark

Hi Mark

I would recommend ATC's SCM40's. They are not the best looking speakers around however their engineering (particularly the superb drive units) and performance more than make up for the looks.

I have sold quite a few SCM40's to owners of Cyrus Electronics over the years including CD8SE and 8XPD. The SCM40's will reveal the qualities of the 8SE/8XPD in a clear, precise, uncoloured, natural and powerful manner by enabling the components to breathe. They will also easily accomodate any other additions you may wish to make.

Btw, as jules153 has also suggested Dynaudio's Excite X32's are also worth considering.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

SCM40 will work well but you'll prob need an x-power and bi-amp to get the most out them (which is your intention anyway).

However the sound will be massively revealing so make sure you audition with all your music collection. e.g. Rage Against the Machine's first album will sound unbelieveably good but The Strokes' first album will sound lifeless and perhaps boring.

B&W CM9 and Dynaudio X32 are others to audition, preferably at home.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for your advice. It has given me a few options to look into ,which i will now do and i will let you know how i get on . I have seen some of the vienna acoustic range and think i might audition something of theirs. It will probably end up costing me more money, but it always does !

Thanks

Mark

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mark

We have a wide range of loudspeakers at the SCM40's price point, and find that people don't normally choose the same thing. The SCM40's are one of the hardest speakers in this price point to match up to electronics. We've usually found the SCM40's go best with their own amplification, which is a match made in heaven. The next best thing seems to be Cyrus, although the 8xpd wouldn't be enough on it's own to meet the demands of the SCM40's. You say you'll be adding a power amp later - which one were you thinking of? I would say it would have to be at least an X Power, although the ideal would be a couple of Mono X's.

We find that the ProAc Response D18's match up well, and have been on of our most popular choices with the Cyrus kit. The PMC FB1i's and Dynaudio Excite X36's match up well too, although for similar money I'd prefer the standmount Contour 1.4's - I'm not overly keen on the floorstanders in the Excite range myself. You could also try the KEF XQ40's, as those that 'get' the KEF sound, love them.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark,

I have a CDSE8 and a PreXP/X Power and I originally had B&W CM7's and hated them - went for Spendor A5's - have them a year now and they are fantastic. I spoke to the owner of Spendor about why he went for single terminals and he said that it allowed him to go for a higher quality crossover and that the bi wire thing was a bit of a fashion thing rather than bringing any real benifit.

Before you buy you have to try these - they have fantastic clarity - great bottom end and not fussy about positioning - they sing with Cyrus gear!

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I have recently auditioned the Pro Ac D18s, ATC SCM 40s and the Spendor A6s with a primare amp and CD6SE. For me the Spendors came out tops. They just seemed to have a better mid range than the others. They were all played one after the other with the same CD's the and the difference in sound quality was miniscule and it all boils down to personal preference.

One last piece of advice, which ever ones you go for haggle. Ring around for quotes for all your speaker options before you go in for the demo and don't be afraid to walk out if the dealers cant match a telephone quote. There are some very good discounts to be had, so do you home work and you should pay significantly less than the £2k "Recommended Retail Price." I did!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Zedrider: One last piece of advice, which ever ones you go for haggle. Ring around for quotes for all your speaker options before you go in for the demo and don't be afraid to walk out if the dealers cant match a telephone quote.

Although a few here would hope that you made the dealer aware of the prices before an extensive demo......
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, of course, I demo'd at a dealer that gave one of the most competative quotes and then negotiated with them to match the best quote and had names and numbers if they wanted to confirm anything. For the speakers discussed on this thread a few calls resulted in a discount of around 15% very quickly, although other items were involved in the deal.

Some dealers gave 10% off immediately without even trying.

Regards.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
mmoore73:

PMC FB1i speakers sound fantastic with Cyrus to my ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts