Question Speakers for ARcam CD73/A80

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Just noticed the OP's earlier post. As the speakers can only be 15 cm from the back wall, scrap the PMC idea as they need a good 12-18" to work at their best.
Only in your experience PP. I've had my DB1's successfully mounted on wall brackets for many years and the rear face is 4" from the wall; moved them out to 18" a few months ago, on stands, and they sounded very anaemic so quickly moved them back to the wall brackets again. Get the positioning right and they can work well in close proximity to a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
OK, I just bought myself an A39, currently listening to it through some Mission 752's (from my AV system in the lounge), then will try the Tannoy R1's. So far so good.

Having a lockdown clear out of all my old HiFi on ebay then will have some more budget for a CD player and speakers hopefully.

Regarding CD players, I like the USB input function so I can play my FLAC files through a good DAC (I currently use an audioquest dragon fly red). I'm thinking the Audiolab 8200 CD would be a good choice, any other contenders?

Thanks for your help all.

Reactions: Al ears
Only in your experience PP. I've had my DB1's successfully mounted on wall brackets for many years and the rear face is 4" from the wall; moved them out to 18" a few months ago, on stands, and they sounded very anaemic so quickly moved them back to the wall brackets again. Get the positioning right and they can work well in close proximity to a wall.

Not only in my eperience. JD had the same issues with the DB1is being so close to the wall. Yes you can use brackets but the use of stands about 18" to 24" is better. And no anemic presentation either.

OK, I just bought myself an A39, currently listening to it through some Mission 752's (from my AV system in the lounge), then will try the Tannoy R1's. So far so good.

Having a lockdown clear out of all my old HiFi on ebay then will have some more budget for a CD player and speakers hopefully.

Regarding CD players, I like the USB input function so I can play my FLAC files through a good DAC (I currently use an audioquest dragon fly red). I'm thinking the Audiolab 8200 CD would be a good choice, any other contenders?

I am deeply impressed with Exposure CD 2010 which I've had for about a week. Excellent player: Soundstage is superb, yet the overall presentation is smooth and detailed.
As Alears and others who know me will testify: I'm hard to please when it comes to getting the balance of different components right.

Good luck

scene

I've got an Arcam A85, with a DV88 as CD, SONOS, and ProJect TT and at the end of last year got some Q3020i as speakers. I've been very impressed with them, they punch well above their sub £200 price bracket and I have the speakers on shelves (the ubiquitous IKEA Billy), so very close to the back wall, and they sound great - have them slightly angled in and they're about 5cm from back of the Billy. There are slightly bigger (and a bit more expensive) Q3030i now, which have bigger woofers, if you want more bass.

I've found since I put them in my study (read man cave...) I've really started enjoying listening to the music on my old Arcam again :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Not only in my eperience. JD had the same issues with the DB1is being so close to the wall. Yes you can use brackets but the use of stands about 18" to 24" is better. And no anemic presentation either.
You old name dropper you. So because two people say different my opinion doesn't matter. Better for who? Speaker positioning is down to the individual and 24" out from my wall and my opinion is that they sounded worse.

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Why not the Arcam CDS50? Good DAC and can handle SACD discs if required.
Thanks - I thought I would be getting more for my money with an Audiolab 8000 compared to the new Arcam player, two Audiolabs have sold recently for around £350 on Ebay, best Arcam price I have seen is ex demo Arcam at £550 - is the Arcam worth the price difference?

Thanks - I thought I would be getting more for my money with an Audiolab 8000 compared to the new Arcam player, two Audiolabs have sold recently for around £350 on Ebay, best Arcam price I have seen is ex demo Arcam at £550 - is the Arcam worth the price difference?
I am not really sure in your case. If you aren't interested in the SACD function and you are looking at Audiolabs for that price then probably not. Just though it might fit in better with your Arcam amp and it has a better dac chip
The Exposure mentioned by PP is also worthy of consideration, available for about £400, although I am not sure it has USB.

Hi-fi is a funny old hobby/interest. And I think what Alears is probably saying that synergy is worth more than a mix and match system without endless demoing. Plus the benefit of buying all one make is you can use the one remote and the looks match.

However, as a person who's owned Arcam products since 1997 I've demoed many different brands of CDPs over that period: Rotel, Rega, Exposure. to name a just a few. I've heard Audiolab amps but didn't tug my rug.

As I mentioned before I have an Exposure CD 2010, and demoed the CD 2010S with my old Arcam a good few years ago. Fabulous IMHO. Very underrated brand IMHO.

That said, hi-fi isn't an exact science.

Reactions: Al ears
I am not really sure in your case. If you aren't interested in the SACD function and you are looking at Audiolabs for that price then probably not. Just though it might fit in better with your Arcam amp and it has a better dac chip
The Exposure mentioned by PP is also worthy of consideration, available for about £400, although I am not sure it has USB.
No USB, not my version but it does have digital outs. My one cost me £250 incl delivery, with original box and packaging

Hi-fi is a funny old hobby/interest. And I think what Alears is probably saying that synergy is worth more than a mix and match system without endless demoing. Plus the benefit of buying all one make is you can use the one remote and the looks match.

However, as a person who's owned Arcam products since 1997 I've demoed many different brands of CDPs over that period: Rotel, Rega, Exposure. to name a just a few. I've heard Audiolab amps but didn't tug my rug.

As I mentioned before I have an Exposure CD 2010, and demoed the CD 2010S with my old Arcam a good few years ago. Fabulous IMHO. Very underrated brand IMHO.

That said, hi-fi isn't an exact science.
I quite agree and sometimes synergy on its own is not enough.
The OP did mention USB as he's got a decent Dragonfly DAC and I think, if he will ever want streaming, and can get an Arcam for £550 then that's a ruddy good price for a £700 player.
Admittedly auditioning is the key and I am stunned at the amount of people that seem to want to buy now without that as they cannot because of the current situation...... patience is a virtue they say.
P.S.. always rated Exposure stuff, had a couple of their amps in the past but have never heard their CD players.

Just had a thought. Why the need for a USB input if attempting to use a Dragonfly with a CD P that already has a good DAC section, one of them is redundant.......

Last edited:

You don't need two DACs in a system especially if the DAC in the CD P is better than the Dragonfly, or am I missing something?
Where are the FLAC files coming from?

I quite agree and sometimes synergy on its own is not enough.
The OP did mention USB as he's got a decent Dragonfly DAC and I think, if he will ever want streaming, and can get an Arcam for £550 then that's a ruddy good price for a £700 player.
Admittedly auditioning is the key and I am stunned at the amount of people that seem to want to buy now without that as they cannot because of the current situation...... patience is a virtue they say.
P.S.. always rated Exposure stuff, had a couple of their amps in the past but have never heard their CD players.

Just had a thought. Why the need for a USB input if attempting to use a Dragonfly with a CD P that already has a good DAC section, one of them is redundant.......

Or if his CD73 is working why not buy a separate Dac and use the CDP as transport? Lot of them have a USB connection, certainly the Arcam rDac does.

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm presuming the DAC in a top CD player would be an improvement on my Dragonfly Red? (I'll keep the Dragonfly for mobile use)

I have my FLAC files on my PC and with the USB type B connection on the Audiolab8000, you can set the PC up as a device and control it via the CD remote.

Having said that, this part of a system is changing faster than most with the popularity of streaming, so maybe a good reason to buy a brand new player in the Arcam CDS50 which looks more future proof than the Audiolab.

I have a few weeks to decide whilst I sell my old stuff, so thanks again for all your advice and I'll keep you posted.

After plenty of research my system is now:
  • Audiolab 8200 CD player/DAC for CD's & HD streaming
  • ARCAM T32 tuner
  • ARCAM A39 amp
  • KEF LS50 speakers
Very happy with setup, I just got the speakers a few days ago, they are amazing, I have never witnessed such an improvement through changing one component - thanks for all your help.
good of you to come back and tell us how you got on. Enjoy!

Reactions: NeilR
After plenty of research my system is now:
  • Audiolab 8200 CD player/DAC for CD's & HD streaming
  • ARCAM T32 tuner
  • ARCAM A39 amp
  • KEF LS50 speakers
Very happy with setup, I just got the speakers a few days ago, they are amazing, I have never witnessed such an improvement through changing one component - thanks for all your help.

Congrats.

Looks a darn good set-up. Enjoy your bundles.

Reactions: NeilR

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts