Question Speakers for ARcam CD73/A80

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I currently use Tannoy Revolution R1's, could I do better?
Are the speakers the weak link in this system or should I be looking elsewhere?
Need to have bookshelf mounted due to space limitations.

Thanks in advance, I have got upgradeitis

D

Deleted member 108165

What's the rest of your system? Or is this to remain a secret?

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I would be looking second hand upto £500.
Due to space constraints, I cannot mount too far away from the wall - 15cm max.
Looking to understand what would be best way to upgrade the system, hence looking for some input on what is the weak link.
Mainly listening to classical, jazz and some rock.

D

Deleted member 108165

Oh yeah so you did... too early in the morning for me :)

I would be looking second hand upto £500.
Due to space constraints, I cannot mount too far away from the wall - 15cm max.
Looking to understand what would be best way to upgrade the system, hence looking for some input on what is the weak link.
Mainly listening to classical, jazz and some rock.
Do you have your R1s on speaker stands?

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I did buy them with stands but haven't got the space in my man cave, I have them on a shelf about 3 inches away from the wall.

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Update, I just put the R1's back on the stands and the difference is amazing - for this level of improvement, I'll just have to find a way round my space constraints.
Still would be interested to hear views of where I should upgrade. I've heard using an Arcam power amp such as a P90 and bi-wiring would be a good move, but it is hard to find these power amps second hand.
I'm using Chord chameleon silver plus cable between CD and amp and QED Qudos speaker cables

D

Deleted member 108165

Bi-amping can work but bi-wiring is just a waste of cable. But I think you're talking about bi-amping anyway so that's okay. I'm not a cable believer so I won't comment on cables :)

Reactions: Al ears

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Doug, yes, I meant bi amping,
I've got my eye on a P90, is this the next best thing to do as an upgrade or would you start elsewhere?

If you can find a P90 going cheap it could be worth a go even though I have never really seen the logic in using a power amp with an integrated, but in your case it's possibly the way to go without selling on your A80.
Perhaps this thread may be helpful:-

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
If you can find a P90 going cheap it could be worth a go even though I have never really seen the logic in using a power amp with an integrated, but in your case it's possibly the way to go without selling on your A80.
Perhaps this thread may be helpful:-

Thanks Al ears, that thread is very useful.
I'm happy to sell on the A80, given the difficulty of finding P80/90 power amps, and get an FMJ integrated amp, the thread mentions the FMJA32 which doesn't appear very often. There are plenty of A19's but would this be a real step up from what I have?

I do prefer Arcam kit, have previously owned the delta 290 amp until the input switch failed.

Thanks Al ears, that thread is very useful.
I'm happy to sell on the A80, given the difficulty of finding P80/90 power amps, and get an FMJ integrated amp, the thread mentions the FMJA32 which doesn't appear very often. There are plenty of A19's but would this be a real step up from what I have?

I do prefer Arcam kit, have previously owned the delta 290 amp until the input switch failed.
Just wondered why you felt the need to add a power amp in the first place. I am not familiar with the qualities of the A19 so cannot answer this question, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along to offer advice soon.
From what I can see it is actually less powerful than your A80, any P80 power amps going around rather than P90?
If you are in UK there's one going on eBay, current bid £34.....

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Just wondered why you felt the need to add a power amp in the first place. I am not familiar with the qualities of the A19 so cannot answer this question, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along to offer advice soon.
From what I can see it is actually less powerful than your A80, any P80 power amps going around rather than P90?
If you are in UK there's one going on eBay, current bid £34.....
Thanks, I'll try to win this P80 amp.

Rather than looking at a power amp it's wiser to spend money on a better amp. As a big Arcam fan, for around the price of good P90 you can pick up a A29. It has Arcam's Class G amplification which gives it a cleaner sound, yet still retains the Arcam house sound.
I demoed the A39 some time ago and it's terrific. The A80 is a good amp but it is going on 20 years old.
I've just changed my CD player, after owning the CD73 since 2005. I purchased an Exposure CD 2010 and it's a noticeable improvement over the 73.
My choice would be PMC DB1i with Exposure and A80

NeilR

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks pp, so based on your last sentence, you're saying leave the amp and upgrade CD and speakers first?

How would you compare the A19 to the A80, there are plenty of A19's around?
Your choice is probably out of my budget, I'm looking to spend £500 ish on an upgrade.

Rather than looking at a power amp it's wiser to spend money on a better amp. As a big Arcam fan, for around the price of good P90 you can pick up a A29. It has Arcam's Class G amplification which gives it a cleaner sound, yet still retains the Arcam house sound.
I demoed the A39 some time ago and it's terrific. The A80 is a good amp but it is going on 20 years old.
I've just changed my CD player, after owning the CD73 since 2005. I purchased an Exposure CD 2010 and it's a noticeable improvement over the 73.
My choice would be PMC DB1i with Exposure and A80
From his past statement perhaps that last sentence is incorrect, I thought he was going to saying A29......., could be wrong.

Thanks pp, so based on your last sentence, you're saying leave the amp and upgrade CD and speakers first?

Your choice is probably out of my budget, I'm looking to spend £500 ish on an upgrade.
My first upgrade would be to look at something like a Arcam A29 or A39, as that'll give you a noticeable upgrade - a better option to adding a power amp. Having heard the A80 with a P80 the only slight difference is in the midrange detail. Plus you're not adding extra boxes.

Not heard the A19 but have demoed the A18, and comparing it to my then A65+ there was little to choose.

Your Tannoys are a good match for Arcam but I prefer PMC DB1is. Had them on demo with the A65 and sounded sensational... on stands.

I currently own their bigger brothers TB2i, powered by a Leema Pulse MKI. Another fab combo.

There's one on eBay for £380 buy-it-now bidding on another at £270 or better an A39 current with bids up to £403

Let me just clarify. If I was in the OP's shoes and looking at amps, I would first look at the A29 or A39.
My instinct, though, would be to search for a better speaker that would fit into the same space and the A80 would be able to power without clipping. To that end PMC DB1i (originally retailed at £800, now can be picked up for around £500-£600) would be my 'go to' speaker. The + versions are a little cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts