Speakers for Arcam Alpha 10

n1ge

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I currently use an Arcam Alpha 10 with B&W 685s (not the new version). I mainly play vinyl on a Rega RP3. Thinking of replacing the speakers, would spending £500 second hand get me a significant improvement in sound? Mainly listen at low volumes. Been thinking along the lines of the Kef ls50, PMC db1i and the new version 685s but not heard any of them yet. Suggestions/ opinions welcome!

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

New 685 is better than the old one IMO, heard them side by side.

Arcam - B&W is not that great combo to my ears. I think Arcam - Kef is better. Maybe the R100 is a good match. Or the R/Q300.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
And LS50s and DB1is are significantly better than the previous and current 685s. I haven't listened to the R100s, but my expectation is that they provide a similar level of performance but just a different presentation, so it would probably come down to personal preference. I think the Alpha 10 can handle much better speakers than any discussed in this thread. It is a great sounding and very competent amp.

n1ge

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Have seen some second hand db1i speakers so tempted to go for them. Anyone know if Arcam PMC is normally a good combo?

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I demoed did my current speakers on an arcam setup .listened to 5 different sets of speakers even Kef ls50 side by side with the pmc db1i. Out of all the speakers the Kef ls50 were technically best but I chose the db1i's .they have a lovely rich tonal quality and sounded great on arcam amp.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi, the Arcam 10 and PMCs should work well. The PMCs should sound clearer than your current B&Ws, just make sure you use good stands. Alternatively, second hand ATC SCM 11s or even ProAc Response 1s/2s would be good too.

n1ge

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
Hi, the Arcam 10 and PMCs should work well. The PMCs should sound clearer than your current B&Ws, just make sure you use good stands. Alternatively, second hand ATC SCM 11s or even ProAc Response 1s/2s would be good too.
Thanks for the advice. How would the older version ATC SCM11s compare to the PMC DB1i? Which would be better for low volume listening? Which are least fussy about placement?

n1ge said:
Ketan Bharadia said:
Thanks for the advice. How would the older version ATC SCM11s compare to the PMC DB1i? Which would be better for low volume listening? Which are least fussy about placement?

As ATCs are a sealed box they'll have their pros and cons. Better than the DB1s regards placement but aren't quite as good as the DB1s at low volumes.

The ATCs are little more neutral, while the PMCs present music with a little extra dollop of smoothness.

That all said, in isolation both should give you years of joy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts