Speakers for a cafe/bar to go with sonos connect

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on speakers for my cafe/bar. I'm getting a sonos/connect system and looking for either good celing speakers or small bookshelf speakers. The room is reasonably sized - about 5x8m and with really high ceiling. Ideally I would like for the speakers to be in the ceiling, or else small bookshelf mounted in the upper four corners (will get 4 speakers), but it is quite important for me to have a decent sound and something which can give me a bit of volume. I'm looking to spend no more than £600 on four speakers and preferably less. I think a subwoofer is probably out of the questions as its positioning would be awkward.

Any thoughts? Thanks very much

John Duncan

The_Lhc knows more about the sonos than I do and can advise whether you can connect two pairs of speakers like you want to, but I think in this context you can buy really quite good speakers with your budget. Because of their positioning you probably want front-ported ones, and if you want small I'd suggest something like these:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk

or the good old:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/jbl/control-1/jbl-contorl-1-blk

or the rather nice Dali Lektor 1

(various stores for £225)

The old staple Diamond 9.1s are a bargain, but probably a bit big.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
That will only do one pair of speakers, as far as I can garner. Have you got anything else in the mix?

How big is this coffee shop btw?

No, if both pairs of speakers are 8ohms the connect:amp can handle them in parallel, you won't be able to adjust the volume individually though, unless you get individual volume controls for each set but that's not something I know anything about.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
As in both wired from the same speaker outputs?

Yup, very common setup, I'm doing it myself, with the dining room speakers and a pair of outdoor speakers, although I do have an old QED speaker switch so that I can turn on/off either or both pairs (although there's not much point in turning both of them off obviously). I got it from a boot sale but they still make an equivalent (much better looking as well).

A

Anonymous

Would money not be better spend on sonos connect:amp plus speakers as opposed to 4 x sonos play:3 in terms of sound quality? Wiring is not an issue. What are thoughts on ceiling vs small bookshelf speakers?

A

Anonymous

Independent volume control would be a bonus (as LHC noted)

for example near the till could be quieter

Matt

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
In terms of the 4 speaker thing, quite a few amps now run 2 pairs do they not? The Yamaha AS-500, Marantz PM6004? Two pretty good amps around the price range you'd be looking at if you're spending £300 a pair on speakers? Depending on whether or not you were thinking £600 total or just for the speakers . .

A

Anonymous

Yeah happy to spend up to £600 on the speakers (£1000 including sonos connect amp). Or £1000 total if it were worth looking at sonos connect and separate amp, although would prefer to keep it simple.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, those certainly look worth considering. Ideally I'd be looking at something smaller, but I guess that will sacrifice sound quality. Someone else recomended the Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. Don't know if anyone has an opinion on these?

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
That aside, something like these would do the job, (if you were considering actives) obviously you'd save money on an amp. Then just wire them up to the sonos . . Look quite pretty too . .

http://www.istereos.co.uk/audioengine-powered-speakers-p-33.html?utm_campaign=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple

(No idea whether this is a decent price for them nowadays, but I recall them sounding rather nice)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mattflinn said:
Would money not be better spend on sonos connect:amp plus speakers as opposed to 4 x sonos play:3 in terms of sound quality? Wiring is not an issue. What are thoughts on ceiling vs small bookshelf speakers?

This approach has the benefit of flexibility at least, you could put up 4 of these and either run them as 4 separate zones (one in each corner perhaps), grouped so that they all play the same music, or you could pair them two and two to create two stereo pairs, which could then also be grouped so that each pair would play in sync with each other. This would give you the benefit of being able to control the volume individually on all 4 (if running as 4 separate zones) or on each pair if paired. Bear in mind you'd need one Sonos device wired to your router (you'll have a router right?), if you aren't able to manage that with one of the Play:3s then you'd need a Zonebridge but they're not expensive (£39). Obviously if you go this route you'll need to supply power to each Play:3 which might be awkward if they're high up on a wall.

It does depend on the size of the property and how loud you want them to run. Also begs another question, where are these going to get their music from and how are you going to control everything?

mattflinn said:

You should demo the Play:3. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality despite the relative small speaker size. Besides, it'll be a lot easier to set up.

The_Lhc said:
Bear in mind you'd need one Sonos device wired to your router (you'll have a router right?), if you aren't able to manage that with one of the Play:3s then you'd need a Zonebridge but they're not expensive (£39). Obviously if you go this route you'll need to supply power to each Play:3 which might be awkward if they're high up on a wall.

Most retailers are offering a free ZoneBridge with Play:3 (which also means that you could end with 4 ZoneBridges!). Speak to the retailer to offer more discount instead of so many ZoneBridges.

A

Anonymous

To be honest I think it will be easier to get speaker cable to where I will be mounting the speakers as opposed to power cables. Although I do appreciate the flexibility of having sonos plays instead of standard speakers... decisions! Presumably seeing as noone has mentioned them ceiling speakers aren't a great option in terms of sound quality?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd maybe be looking at pro/PA kit rather than domestic stuff, personally. Especially if you're looking to have 'a bit of volume'.

Nothing wrong with in-ceiling speakers, but I don't think many of us will have had much experience with them. I personally would favour them in a business premises over wall-mounted speakers. I've heard a few which sound great.

Quite a few bars/cafes and even shops that I've been in lately have had sub/sat set-ups. But again, using mainly pro stuff rather than domestic.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Due to a little more time on my hands than I'd ideally like I go to my local costa cafe on a regular basis. The toilets are amazing and the mirror has soft tungsten lighting which makes my skin look ...

They have these little white passive pro speakers in the mould of the old JBL Control 1's hanging in the corners. They sound good, clear with surprising bass for something so tiny, look modern and come, I assume with mounting brackets. I'll find out what they are if you want.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Daft question, but are you sure they aren't just Control 1s? They do come in white. With wall brackets, handily enough. :)

Not daft at all but I suspect you are a shy boy and just wanted to use the opportunity to tell me how pretty I am ... understand and credit where credit is due.

They are in fact Behringers after identifying the logo though I think they may be discontinued looking at the Behringer site. I provided a link with the newest editions, 2 versions ... one active, one passive

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category/Loudspeakers-and-Studio-Monitors.aspx?s=B420

Looking at the specs, I am either stone deaf or it is quite astonishing what comes out of these little plastic speakers. They have of course something solid behind them which helps ... I should know.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts