Speakers for 5.1 and Music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI everyone; I'm in the process of choosing some speakers for a new AV setup. I'm using a Denon 1930 DVD and a Denon 1907 AV Receiver (I got the 1907 for a song, as a stop gap probably before I decide on the new ONKYO 606), and I'm looking for a speaker set up for movies and also that would be reasonalbe for music. I'm not sure about the budget, because it fluctuates depending on the speakers I'm looking at! I prefer more traditional speakers and have a shortlist of the following: Quad Lite 5.1's, Tannoy Mercury F1, Monitor Audio BR2 or BR5, AE Aego T's. Colour, as such, is not too much of an issue.

Any views or comments from anyone would be much appreciated.

Snahbah

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. But is really depends on how much you fancy spending.

Looks like a waiting game a little too - the Onkyo 606 is yet to be tested and there'll be an Onkyo 876 in the pipe too (better image processing and improved Audyssey I hear).

I'd add to your short list the Kef iQ5SE for the fronts, iQ1 rear, etc. They are a great size and will pass the girlfriend test.

If you want to stretch the budget to the 876 have a look at the new Tannoy Signature range. Great reviews and they are about the same size as the Kefs - shame they're twice the price).

That's where I am; Kefs and the 606 or the Signature range and the new 876. Still can't decide how much to spend!

Just my thoughts. In the end, as they say, you should book a test, have a listen and judge if the differences are worth the money.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
For the speaker I went for the Quad L-ite, but I think they're only available in Rosewood now for £500. I was going to get the Linn Komponents for £999 with the 110 at the front, but they went up to £1750 and the Sub needed changing, but they sound better. I also like the Monitor Audio Radius and Kef 5001.2 but did not like the Kef 3005 (the SE are meant to sound better)
For the Amp I am in the same boat as both of you. I was thinking about the Arcam AVR280 for standard sound i.e. not HD. It sounds great but has no HD sound processing, it will not take the input from a PS3 over HDMI for the sound processing so I ruled it out, as I want to use a PS3 for Blu-ray until the spec settles down and the price falls. I'm now thinking of the Onkyo 875 or the 606 or waiting for the 876 to arrive but I think that will be 4 months yet, and the new Yamaha's look good.But demo as many as pos...................

A

Anonymous

Hi Gary; I see that you went for the Quad Lites. Why did you finally choose them? How do you find them for both movies and for music? I know that they are available in Silver (limited supply) and Rosewood, but to be honest either would be ok for my setup. Out of interest, did you see the Silver version before you bought your Quads?

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
We've actually got the silver set. I liked the black and cherry but the girlfriend liked the silver.

As for why we chose them, we narrowed our choice down to the Quad and the Linn Component speakers. Although we liked both, the sound from the Quads was much warmer. My girlfriend found the Linns too clinical and cold (not to mention the price difference!) We also think that the Monitor Audio Radius and the Kef 5001.2 were really good. However the Quads were better for music.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have a set of Monitor Audio Bronze BR4s. (5.1)

Coupled with a Denon 2900 DVD and a Pioneer ASX3 Amp.

For MUSIC they sound fantastic - at least I think they do.

I have 2 old sets of speakers Celestion DL8s and Acoustic Research Classics both unsheilded and hence not used and they sounded great to but I'd say the BR4s are equal if not better.

The only complaint I have is that the sub is poor for films.

Hope this helps.

Simon

TRENDING THREADS