Daddyburns

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Hello all

so looking for views and opinion

my current turntable set up - project recordmaster turntable with Ruark MR1 MK2s connected. These are desktop Bluetooth speakers I originally bought to support a wall mounted LCD. We've since moved and the turntable is now in a separate room.

I’m thinking my vinyl collection could do with an upgrade - amplifier and new speakers. I’ve had my eye on the B&W 606 and see there are some good offers on at present. Amplifier I’ve no idea at present.

i don’t live near a hifi store to go in and check on out the benefit of the above upgrade i.e. ditching the desktops, so hoping for some experienced thoughts from the forum floor

cheers
Db

I think that's rather an absolute view - most speakers have those who like them/equipment with which they work/rooms that are suited to them.

It probably makes sense for the OP to choose an amp and speakers at the same time, budget allowing.

So, what's your budget? How big/what shape is the room? Do you have flexibility about where the speakers go? What do you listen to/what sort of 'sound' do you like/how loud do you listen?

Reactions: Daddyburns
As you don’t live near a store then you need to take a day out to visit a couple! It’s the only way that makes sense. You wouldn’t ask Mumsnet what colour wallpaper to choose, would you?

Seriously, it’s important to see the different finishes, shapes and hear the sounds from a variety of speakers. Your Ruarks are very nice and B&W are likely to be much more explicit and open, which might be their downfall. Q Acoustics are easy on the ear and wallet, but get the tape measure out as they are deeper (front to back) than most. Also, you can check out suitable amps on the same visit, and often save a chunk by buying them as a bundle.

Daddyburns

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
I agree, a visit to a store will be worth it. Appreciate the advice

budget wise, maybe £1k for the amp and speakers. But I think I won’t rush and I’ll take the car for a spin, and my ears, to a hifi store

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts