Speakers conundrum for Marantz system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I could really do with some help on deciding what speakers would work best with a Marantz PM-6002 and CD 6002 system. My max spending is around £250, at which I have seen the Quad 11L2, which seemed to get a so-so review in your magazine, and B&W 686; I am also interested in the Monitor Audio Bronze BR-2, which are hopefully cheaper. I listen to a mix of world, jazz, some classical and rock - plenty of acoustic stuff. Any advice would be more than welcome as I'm on the verge of buying and need to make up my mind between these three (or any even better options...)! Many thanks...

A

Anonymous

Reviews are only guidelines, step into a few audiostores with a few of your favourite cd's and start listening. My personal recomendation in your price bracket: Focal Chorus 706.

But, don't take my word for it, start listening for yourself. Be sure to budget in some dosh for some decent stands too, as they can make a world of difference.

A

Anonymous

Your options are all good speakers. You have to listen for yourself to determine what suits you best.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips! The problem is that no single shop seems to have all three sets of speakers, which makes it hard for my non-hifi-trained ear to notice all the details on different visits and in different rooms.

I guess my main question is whether the Quad speaker is really in a whole different class than the Monitor one, considering the original price tag (£380 vs £200)? What made me doubt was the What HiFi's less than dazzling review of it, compared to five stars for the Monitor BR-2. Also, is the Marantz PM6002 powerful enough to drive the Quad?

Thanks again for any help!

T

the record spot

If you like the Quad 11L, try to find the original as it's the better speaker over the L2. A stunner five years ago and likely still very much so now. You might even find the odd pair going new in some far flung dealer's back room and be quids in all round as it'll be going for a song! Even moreso with a used pair.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! Problem is, the L2 is the one that I've seen discounted at £250 - still some £40 more expensive than the BR-2 and roughly the same price as the B&W686. So that's my three choices, given the budget constraints I'm afraid!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments! Why should I be worried about pairing the Monitor Audio BR-2 to Marantz? It seems to be a generally recommended pairing.

As for the Quads, thanks for the tip - they must be a different class then than the others on my list!? I guess I'm mainly worried the system might find it hard to drive them (plus the review said they sounded somewhat 'autistic', though I guess they're still better than, say BR-2 and B&W686).

Thanks for all your help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts