Speakers and radiators

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

Another question... My current room layout means that if i get a pair of stereo speakers and place them either side of my TV, one of them will be either directly in front of a radiator, or right beside the end of it at best, if I'm going to line everything up with my seating position (it's a bedroom so limited space).

My question is, will the heat radiated be a problenm for the speakers, or would i be better to reverse the layout of my room so my TV etc is against the other wall ('d rather not have to do this though).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, as always.

Cheers,

Dave

A

Anonymous

I have rads that get really really hot and they are against a leather sofa and no problems.

Just as long as your amp is not near the rads as that will heat the amp up

matthewpiano

If you can feel a heat build-up on the speaker I would be careful over extended periods of time. The crossover still contains capacitors and we all know how heat build-up can damage electrolytics over a period of time.

A

Anonymous

It is possible that the radiator may resonate if you place a speaker directly in front of it. Make sure the radiator is properly fixed to the wall - try tapping it to see what it sounds like. If it rings you are in trouble!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would be a little concerned over a period of time for the cabinet and it's integrity. Constant hot/cold/hot/cold (day/night/day/night) could affect veneers over a long period of time, and possibly even the cabinet construction beneath it - we know what happens to woood when it dries out - MDF with a wood veneers (or even vinyl wrap) wouldn't be any different. Due to differring qualities of cabinet construction, this may affect some more than others. I'd be very wary of vinyl wrap speakers.

I'm not trying to alarm anyone, so I'll stress again that this would be over a long period of time - if you can avoid this situation, I would.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Ok so perhaps not as straigtforward then... When i get my speakers i shall keep an eye on them and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again Folks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts