speakers & amp/receivers ? please help

phil71

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
I have bought and fitted on wall a new 47" full hd screen. I have hidden all leads & cables in wall ( hdmi , power , etc. ) I have ps3 for gaming & blu-ray viewing.

I have fitted & hidden in wall(s) "chord" speaker cable. I have ordered sky hd for viewing source .

Now I need advice on which amp / receiver to choose & speakers for 5.1 system.

I like the aesthetics of monitor audio's r250 range for centre , left & right speakers , can anyone advise on alternatives that look similar but may be more competitively priced ?

The rear speakers are ceiling mounted due to the layout of room , any advice ??

I like the look & price of onkyo's tx sr605 to tie it all together. Any advice ?

Also does the ps3 have optical output to connect to receiver for best sound from blu-ray discs?

Thanks in advance , 1st thread posted , addicted to site and techology .

Phil.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The 605, or the new 606, will be fine for your needs. It'll take all the audio you could ever want over HDMI from the PS3, so no need for an optical cable.

You will, however, need an optical cable from the Sky+HD box to the receiver to get surround sound.

No problem with the ceiling-mounted rears, and I really think the Monitor Audios are worth going for.

A

Anonymous

If you are seriously consider the Onkyo TX-SR605 then the best audio connection for your PS3 will be HDMI to recieve the HD Audio. An optical connection will only provide you with DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 which is of a lower quality than the HDMI (TrueHD etc).

Not sure about your speakers but definately on the right track with the 605. Considering one myself.

phil71

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew ,

Bit new to this so I want to get it right. So I'll need optical from sky > receiver & hdmi from ps3 > receiver ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts