Speakers? a bit stuck...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been having a hard time deciding on speakers. I currently am enjoying a Bryston BP26 DA preamp, A Pair of Bel Canto E. One Reference 1000 Mono's, and a Bel Canto Universal player. I also use a squeeze box for flac files. For speakers I robbed my surround system of it's Monitor Audio GS60 speakers and have been using them in the two channel setup for a few months now. I like the speakers for the most part; but they can be a bit harsh in the treble regions. I am, however, very happy with them in the surround system (all Monitor Gold speakers).

My stereo setup is in a fairly small room - about 12' x 15' with a bay window at one end. It can emphasize base to a degree - but it's not boomy. .

As it is the system is very revealing - great recordings sound great; but any poor cd's sound not so good.

My taste in music is quite varied. I really like vocals - especially female. I like classic rock, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Simon & Garfunkel... well you get the point. I want a sweet and totally transparent mid range, great sound stage, and grew up in the 60's and 70's and like a solid, strong but honest base. My budget is $2,000 - $5,000.

I would like to put the Monitor's back into the home theatre system and find a great pair of speakers for the two channel system. I have been thinking of Martin Logan Vantage, B&W 800 series, possibly Dynaudio, Focal, Paradigm - not too sure where to turn. I live in Nanaimo, British Columbia - a city of about 100,000 so the ability to listen to a great variety of speakers is a bit limited. I can get over to Vancouver but it makes home auditioning rather difficult.

Suggestions? Comments?

By the way I love this forum.

thanks

A

Anonymous

Well I finally made it down to Victoria and went to a great hi-fi shop (Sound Hounds). They are a B&W dealer and all it took was one good session with the 805's to totally make up my mind. They were a bit out of my price range; but with sound like that I was not too worried. They sound fantastic... great in every respect; clear, great timing, punchy when needed, and surprisingly strong base. I'm glad I waited to hear them. Needless to say they are now sitting in my den.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:As good as the 805s are do you not miss the scale of the GS60s?

Not really. I am still using the golds in the surround setup; and the room that the 805's are in is not nearly as big. I found the golds to simply feel constrained in the smaller room. I am finding the 805's to be more musical in this situation.

A

Anonymous

I cannot explain how much I have enjoyed my 805s. If you think they suit you, go for them they won't disappoint. I'm selling mine after a year, not because I'm unhappy with the speakers but because I fancy a change with my current electronics.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Bel Canto need to be partner with a pair that hasn't got a over exciting tweeters. Dynaudio but not Focal if you see what I mean.

There are some fabulous speakers company in your part of the world. Co-incident Partial Eclipse II should come in at the right side of your $5K, the total Eclipse has stunning bass and very informative midrange so I guess the "Partial" will sound very similar.

A funky alternative would be Anthony Gallo's Reference 3 which come in at the start of your budget. They look too funky for most people but you will forgive all that silly look once you heard them. The bass do go very deep (22 Hz) but always even handed.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
WestCoastFun:Well I finally made it down to Victoria and went to a great hi-fi shop (Sound Hounds). They are a B&W dealer and all it took was one good session with the 805's to totally make up my mind. They were a bit out of my price range; but with sound like that I was not too worried. They sound fantastic... great in every respect; clear, great timing, punchy when needed, and surprisingly strong base. I'm glad I waited to hear them. Needless to say they are not sitting in my den.

I hope you are very happy with them.

A

Anonymous

jimdonnelly:WestCoastFun:Well I finally made it down to Victoria and went to a great hi-fi shop (Sound Hounds). They are a B&W dealer and all it took was one good session with the 805's to totally make up my mind. They were a bit out of my price range; but with sound like that I was not too worried. They sound fantastic... great in every respect; clear, great timing, punchy when needed, and surprisingly strong base. I'm glad I waited to hear them. Needless to say they are not sitting in my den.

Thanks jimdonnelly; I appreciate that. Frankly I am really happy with them. I had to order in a pair and the dealer loaned me the floor models until they arrive so I am listening to a well run in pair. I am hearing things in cd's that I have not heard before - even with the Monitor Audio GS60's. In What Hi-Fi's review they said "Listen to a complex recording, such as Orff's Carmina Burana, and the B&Ws paint an utterly convincing sonic picture, with pin-sharp stereo imaging and breathtaking articulation". I now really understand what they are saying. I was amazed at how I could hear each instrument in a favorite recording of mine - it was as if I was hearing things in isolation. It's very hard to put words to it but I am sure that many people on this forum know exactly what I am trying to say.

What a great hobby this is!

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
WestCoastFun:jimdonnelly:WestCoastFun:Well I finally made it down to Victoria and went to a great hi-fi shop (Sound Hounds). They are a B&W dealer and all it took was one good session with the 805's to totally make up my mind. They were a bit out of my price range; but with sound like that I was not too worried. They sound fantastic... great in every respect; clear, great timing, punchy when needed, and surprisingly strong base. I'm glad I waited to hear them. Needless to say they are not sitting in my den.

Thanks jimdonnelly; I appreciate that. Frankly I am really happy with them. I had to order in a pair and the dealer loaned me the floor models until they arrive so I am listening to a well run in pair. I am hearing things in cd's that I have not heard before - even with the Monitor Audio GS60's. In What Hi-Fi's review they said "Listen to a complex recording, such as Orff's Carmina Burana, and the B&Ws paint an utterly convincing sonic picture, with pin-sharp stereo imaging and breathtaking articulation". I now really understand what they are saying. I was amazed at how I could hear each instrument in a favorite recording of mine - it was as if I was hearing things in isolation. It's very hard to put words to it but I am sure that many people on this forum know exactly what I am trying to say.

What a great hobby this is!

I wish I had your enthusiasm (and system!). I am struggling with my music at the moment, I only seem to be enjoying it when listening to it on my ipod! I have had a cold recently which really affected my hearing. Some new CDs might be enough to get me on track again.....I hope.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
WestCoastFun, could have advised you to give the Usher Be718 a try if I had caught this thread earlier. I "upgraded" to the Usher from my B&W 805s, which is a bit strange considering the Ushers cost about 30% less in my neck of the woods. However, I have to say that they really are superior to the 805s. A bit of a shame then that they have not been getting the attention they deserve in UK as compared to across the Atlantic. Hope to see a review of them in WHF sometime soon.

A

Anonymous

hifikrazy:WestCoastFun, could have advised you to give the Usher Be718 a try if I had caught this thread earlier. I "upgraded" to the Usher from my B&W 805s, which is a bit strange considering the Ushers cost about 30% less in my neck of the woods. However, I have to say that they really are superior to the 805s. A bit of a shame then that they have not been getting the attention they deserve in UK as compared to across the Atlantic. Hope to see a review of them in WHF sometime soon.

I have never heard of them. I just read a 6 Moons review and they certainly liked them. The biggest problem for me has been finding a retail outlet where I live that carries higher end equipment. I really like to listen before buying; and like to buy from a shop that will stand behind the products. According to Ushers website there are only two dealers here in Canada - both are several thousand kilometers from where I live. Thankfully I am totally enjoying my 805's (and I did get a substantial savings on the purchase price).

As far as a What Hi-Fi review is concerned I seem to remember reading somewhere on this site that they review equipment that has relatively widespread availability.

Thanks for your reply... if I ever have the opportunity to audition the Usher's you can be sure I will.

A

Anonymous

Really not just trying to bump this thread; but I have been living with the 805S's for a while now (still waiting for mine to arrive, but using the demo's). I must say that I am totally thrilled and impressed with them. I listen to them for several hours per day and can't say enough about them. Extremely musical, very listenable and totally non fatiguing. I have heard that they can be a bit tricky to drive but the Bel Canto's have been performing admirably; and I love my Bryston Pre-Amp. I have bitten the bullet and ordered the B&W stands as well. I'm confident that the stands will be another improvement over what I have been using. I am absolutely a B&W fan!!!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Totally with you! They are the best stand mounts (at or near that price) i have heard. I got mine about 4 months ago and have loved them every moment. I also got a massive saving on the list price and i have been looking for speakers with extra bass clout but any thing ive heard so far in my price range is a downgrade. Im going to consider adding a sub instead. Awesome speakers.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
SHAXOS:Totally with you! They are the best stand mounts (at or near that price) i have heard. I got mine about 4 months ago and have loved them every moment. I also got a massive saving on the list price and i have been looking for speakers with extra bass clout but any thing ive heard so far in my price range is a downgrade. Im going to consider adding a sub instead. Awesome speakers.

i just added an Epos M sub to my focal 908s and have to say initial impressions are very good say initial as only had about 30 mins play time - i loved the sound of the focals very clear vocals and great soundstage just lacked bass depth which could leave them sounding a little thin at times and i kept thinking about swapping them. Then saw the sub for a great price and thought would give it a go - its a sealed sub so no ports to add any nasty whosh noised - seems very clean and punchy although not run in yet - was surprised how easy it was to integrate - sure will still need some playing but def can't tell where the sounds coming from and as set is not swamping any of the focals good points

A

Anonymous

Just out of curiosity if you dont mind me asking where did you get your 805's? Im about to buy some but havent seen them new for less than list and not many come up second hand. Thanks.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if you sign up to the moorgate accoustics wedsite they sometimes send out special offers to members including 10% off anything - i got an email from them after xmas - not sure if it just for ppl that have bought from them in the past but pretty sure its sent to all members - after you have signed up log out leave a day or so then try logging in again and look at items and see if discount is there - just logged on and quoted £1440

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that i have bought from them before but ill go on there now.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
(To the gentelman with his question to me)
Honestly do some searching before buying. I brought mine from an official dealer, ex dem full warranty, immaculate for 1200. I had brought the stands seperataly. The speakers i brought were only 1 month old as was confirmed by the delivery sticker on the box from B&W. I think i got very lucky. My advise is dont part with your cash until you are sure of a good deal.
Regards

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS:Totally with you! They are the best stand mounts (at or near that price) i have heard. I got mine about 4 months ago and have loved them every moment. I also got a massive saving on the list price and i have been looking for speakers with extra bass clout but any thing ive heard so far in my price range is a downgrade. Im going to consider adding a sub instead. Awesome speakers.

I have a Monitor Audio RSW-12 sub that I have been using with them from time to time. I am finding it useful on some rock and with FM. It actually is a fairly good fit with the speakers, although I do use it in moderation.

A

Anonymous

As mentioned earlier in this thread I ordered my speakers and have been using the floor models until mine arrived. Well they came in today... I also ordered the B&W stands. Even though they need to be run in I can't tell you how impressed I am with the speakers on the stands. It really is quite amazing how much of a difference the stand can make. Needless to say I will be spending considerable time this weekend 'running them in'. Just thought I would share.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
you own west coast amusements don't you??? Have you thought about Proac's they dont make a bad speaker and prices as high and could want. I have the D28's and they truly are amazing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts