Speaker Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having just taken the blu - ray plunge and bought the sony BDP-S550 and a 46" Sampsung 686 TV, I am now turning my attention to the surround sound system.

My current system is an oldish but 'to my ears' still very good Denon AVR3803, which I have set up to my sony blu ray via the multichannel out option to give me HD audio. At the moment these are coupled with a relatively budget 5.1 system cobbled together from celestion F30s fronts, centre and sub and my very old now tannoy M2s for the surrounds. Therefore I feel the obvious solution is for the speakers to be upgraded next? and the relatively high end denon amp will stay!!! for the time being at least?

Fortunately my budget is not as constrained as it was for the when i first got the home cinema speaker system, so I am asking advice as to an optimum budget to start my audition. Should I be looking at relatively budget speakers at £1000 or mid range at £2000? Please note I use the amp for music also so am looking for a system that can show off music as well as show off the denon amp movie magic.

OPTION 1 - £1000 BUDGET - I am looking at auditioning the B&W 685 system (£1200) and maybe the new dali 2s when they get there surround package together (£1000 ish I expect!) and maybe the monitor audio bronze BR5 set up (£1200)

OPTIION 2 - £2000 BUDGET - If the denon amp would warrant such expense!!! would see me looking at the lovely tannoy rev sigs (£2300) the dali ikon and the monitor audio silver range.

OPTION 3 - £2000 BUDGET - Trade both the amp and speakers in and get the £1000 budget speakers with a decent modern amp?

Any other option suggestions i should consider would be greatfully received.

Messiah

I would go with getting the best speakers you can. They will still sound great with your system and they will also stand up to a future upgrade.

Although, what is your source for the music??

A

Anonymous

Sound wise the MA RS6 AV package takes some beating for the money and is a very tunefull system with music.

I would start by listening to them as a reference point in your auditions. Wouldn't be surprised if you end up choosing them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks trevor and messiah,

The source for music is a sony QS range cd player scd -xb940. I was not planning on upgrading this at this stage.

Any further options for an audition would be useful?

CM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts