Speaker upgrade SF or PMC

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Had a little chat with my hifi dealer,he said he could make me a good offer for some SF Cremona M,PMC PB 1i and PMC Fact 8 around 50% off list as these are demos but with full warranty and they would match with my Audiolab amps well.I would trade in 3 pairs of speakers, means also my homecinema setup with 4 MA RX6+center. I would have to give up surround for cinema as I can´t afford a second pair+center of these offered speakers.

What do you think and would you do?I am not sure giving in 3 pair speakers and around ( I guess) 3.5k.I am quite happy with my setup as it is now and like to upgrade in little steps every 5-10 years.Giving up the homecinema setup hurts most,but on the other hand a set of really good speakers can also satisfy in stereo for movies too.I will do demo at home these speakers after I am sure I would make this deal.Some opinions needed to the speakers and deal itself.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Having little experience with PMC I would shoot for the 91dB SF. Of course you will audition and decide which you prefer best.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
Had a little chat with my hifi dealer,he said he could make me a good offer for some SF Cremona M,PMC PB 1i and PMC Fact 8 around 50% off list as these are demos but with full warranty and they would match with my Audiolab amps well.I would trade in 3 pairs of speakers, means also my homecinema setup with 4 MA RX6+center. I would have to give up surround for cinema as I can´t afford a second pair+center of these offered speakers.

What do you think and would you do?I am not sure giving in 3 pair speakers and around ( I guess) 3.5k.I am quite happy with my setup as it is now and like to upgrade in little steps every 5-10 years.Giving up the homecinema setup hurts most,but on the other hand a set of really good speakers can also satisfy in stereo for movies too.I will do demo at home these speakers after I am sure I would make this deal.Some opinions needed to the speakers and deal itself.

I've heard all those speakers, though not with your amps. Both PMCs are fine speakers, if you like that kind of thing. (I have a pair of GB1s in a smaller system; good but not great.) But SFs are just in a different league IMO. They do instrumental timbres much better than PMCs. I used a pair of Cremona Auditor Ms for about 9 months (currently in storage): lovely speakers, perhaps a bit picky about positioning because of the rear ports.

The Cremonas are being discontinued, so you should be able to drive a hard bargain.

As for giving up surround sound, that's a very personal thing.

Matt

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have also heard all three and have owned PMC PB1i's for almost three years .

All three of the mentioned speakers are going to need a good amp to get the best out of them , you mention Audiolab amps but not which one , I would suggest the monoblocks with a suitable pre amp would be a minimum especially with the PMC's.

The Fact 8 and the Cremona's could not be more different and in my opinion the Fact 8 would not pair too well with audiolab but you must try for yourself !

So that leaves the PB1i and the Cremona .

The Cremona's sound and look gorgeous with loads of detail texture and a powerful large scale sound especially with well recorded acoustic and classical music , the only fly in the ointment for me is the bass which is can sound a little lumpy and thick and lacking in texture especially compared to the PMC's .

The PB1i's lose out in the looks department but make up for it with the sound IMO , they are capable of a huge full scale sound that is full of life and dynamics just like live music , they may be a little too truthful for some and they will give you the music warts and all .

Then there is the bass , powerful , very very deep with real slam but retaining delicate bass textures and detail whilst preserving the pitch of the bass notes in a way that only a PMC transmission line speaker can do IMO .

To be honest with Audiolab amps I think I would choose the Sonus Fabers , but if you were thinking of upgrading you amps in the near future to something like oooh I don't know , say an Electrocompaniet amp :) then all three speakers become a viable option .

Saying that you really must try all the speakers for yourself with your system and room to avoid mistakes , HiFi is such a personal thing :grin: .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In a small room close to walls and corners the front firing transmission line PMC would kill the SF for accurate bass. Those Cremona's want at least 1.5m free space on each side.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I also think, if they are not too big for my room? I dont know if you guys saw my room in "Your system" here in WHF Forums,but as you can see I had also to move the RX6 a lot away from the walls off to get the best out of them.There is no way to free up an other speaker more.

I would like to use the Audiolabs of course and know they work with Focal Be fantastic but never heard them with a bigger PMC or Sonus.I heard them with the PMC twenty series,it was ok but also a little bit unemotional,i expected more and saw no reason to upgrade from my RX6 immediately (in combination with the Audiolab amps)

I like the looks of the Cremona also more than the PMC´s and heard a OB 1 at the dealer,liked it a lot soundwise.Are PB1i and Fact 8 similar flavour?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
I also think, if they are not too big for my room? I dont know if you guys saw my room in "Your system" here in WHF Forums,but as you can see I had also to move the RX6 a lot away from the walls off to get the best out of them.There is no way to free up an other speaker more.

I would like to use the Audiolabs of course and know they work with Focal Be fantastic but never heard them with a bigger PMC or Sonus.I heard them with the PMC twenty series,it was ok but also a little bit unemotional,i expected more and saw no reason to upgrade from my RX6 immediately (in combination with the Audiolab amps)

I like the looks of the Cremona also more than the PMC´s and heard a OB 1 at the dealer,liked it a lot soundwise.Are PB1i and Fact 8 similar flavour?

The Fact 8 and the PB1i have a different sound balance .

The PB1i has a much more full range and powerful sound with much deeper and full bass , they major on power, dynamics and midrange detail with a smooth but detailed top end .

The Fact 8 majors on ultimate detail and resolution with an incredible imaging / sounstage capability with a brighter sharper sound balance , they do not have anywhere near the power or scale of the PB1i especially in the bass .

Both speakers have their own strengths .

The OB1i is closer to the sound of the PB1i but the OB1i falls short in the bass power and dynamics department by quite a margin and is also a little softer in the midrange .

They are all very good speakers but you must listen for yourself and see which one suits you personal taste . :)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your replies and opinions guys.So if PMC i would probably prefer the PB1i from your description i guess.I could imagine the SF is different with other flavour.I am afraid that they have too much bass for my room,all of them.Maybe too big?How will it sound in my treated room?I have to think over a few days if I really want that (work),maybe first I should demo with my stuff at the dealer and see if they match with my stuff and how it sounds to get an idea.Only reason i think about is the good opportunity to buy a ( really nice looking in case of SF) speaker I would probably never buy for the wanted retail price or usual off %. :?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well did all auditions last week and decided to go for 5.1 as I don´t want to miss it and combine it with stereo within one room.All speakers had their own strenghts, i liked the PMC OB1 and new PMC 26.Cremona M looked best (imo),little boomy (maybe room) but smooth,PMC PB1 and Fact didn´t touch me on long term, too cold and analytic.Electronics were Accuphase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts