Speaker upgrade advice

ashleykr145

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking into upgrading my speakers, currently I am running KEF Q5 speakers and they have served me well for near 14 years now. However, having upgraded my turntable and amplifier across the last 5 years I am now wanting more from my speakers and feel the Q5's are the limiting factor in my setup.

I predominantly run a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX with blue ortofon cartridge and Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier using the built in phono amp.

I want to invest in stand mount speakers to save a little space so have been looking at the KEF LS50 and Q350 (with suitable stand). Or potentially the Dynaudio Emit M20 (although not a big fan of the aesthetics). My concern is whether my partnering equipment is 'enough' to match the quality of the LS50? I have a total budget of £1000-1100 max for speakers, cables and stands plan to have them around 0.5-0.75 m from a wall.

Cheers

Ashley

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ashley,

As for the LS50s, the more power you feed them, the better. I use mine with a Devialet D120, and I’m sure they would sound even better with a beefier amp. Would they match with the Roksan? The answer is: try it. I think you’ll be fine (but might be tempted to upgrade the amp — again)...

I’m not sure standmounts would take less space than floorstanders if you want to use decent stands. The stands add to the cost too. What brands do you have access to for demo? Maybe the smaller floorstanders by Totem, Neat or Spendor (to name but a few) are very suitable too. Just a thought.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Kef's mechanically identical LS50 wireless (active) uses 200w amplifiers on the mid/bass drivers and 30watt amps for tweeters.

That probably gives some idea on what Kef regard as optimal.

Bearing in mind these are 'active watts' without lossy, power sapping Xover networks in the way the equivelant for the passive version would probably be more in the region of 300 - 400 watts/channel.

ashleykr145

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. I will try to book up an afternoon of listening. Will have to head over to Glasgow as Dundee is barren of hifi dealers!i think long term I'd be looking to upgrade th amplifier but not for a couple of years.

rainsoothe

ashleykr145 said:
Thanks all. I will try to book up an afternoon of listening. Will have to head over to Glasgow as Dundee is barren of hifi dealers!i think long term I'd be looking to upgrade th amplifier but not for a couple of years. 

Enjoy the auditions and let us know how it went. If they don't have your amp, try take yours with you and use a similar source and cabling. Imo, the K2 is very capable.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Edinburgh would be closer for you..would it not....hi-fi corner is a decent enough dealership..I was there in the summer and had a dem of the ls50w and the avi dm10....they also deal harbeth,B&W among others....the chaps in the shop are also very nice.

Plus one for HiFi Corner, or there's Audio Emotion, but not sure how close that would be for you.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

ashleykr145

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Edinburgh is closer but I've a trip over to Glasgow for a gig so was planning to head up early. Was going to see whether Loud and Clear on Vincent Street have some suitable offerings. Although I will likely head to Edinburgh too. I'm not one to rush a decision!

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking into upgrading my speakers, currently I am running KEF Q5 speakers and they have served me well for near 14 years now. However, having upgraded my turntable and amplifier across the last 5 years I am now wanting more from my speakers and feel the Q5's are the limiting factor in my setup.

I predominantly run a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX with blue ortofon cartridge and Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier using the built in phono amp.

I want to invest in stand mount speakers to save a little space so have been looking at the KEF LS50 and Q350 (with suitable stand). Or potentially the Dynaudio Emit M20 (although not a big fan of the aesthetics). My concern is whether my partnering equipment is 'enough' to match the quality of the LS50? I have a total budget of £1000-1100 max for speakers, cables and stands plan to have them around 0.5-0.75 m from a wall.

Cheers

Ashley
Kef q350 would be the ones to go for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts