How To Speaker unit rebuild.

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Infomation on rebuilding Kef B139 speakers as these cannot be done by standard rebuild method because of their solid styrene 'cone' Thanks.

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi nopiano. No, of course it's not. You are missing the point. I expect you belong to the generation of 'throw it away and buy a new one'. I come from the generation of 'make do and mend'. That aside these are early B139 'racetrack' versions and are not available new. Anyway I just paid £50 for a pair of 'rough' ones and I will get the buggers functioning properly by hook or by crook. I'm just trying to find someone who has already done one to save me making silly mistakes.

Reactions: James83

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi Gray. I 'assume' from that that you know nopiano? Anyway all this chitchat ain't getting my speakers repaired. Anybody got anything relevant to contribute pretty please!!!

camcroft

Hi nopiano. No, of course it's not. You are missing the point. I expect you belong to the generation of 'throw it away and buy a new one'. I come from the generation of 'make do and mend'. That aside these are early B139 'racetrack' versions and are not available new. Anyway I just paid £50 for a pair of 'rough' ones and I will get the buggers functioning properly by hook or by crook. I'm just trying to find someone who has already done one to save me making silly mistakes.
Please close the door on your way out.

Reactions: Gray

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Oh! don't mind me, I have Asperger's Syndrome. For those who don't know its a form of Autism. We are socially inept, say what we mean, mean what we say, always tell the truth and expect the rest of the world to reciprocate ... Which it generally doesn't. That said this Forum still hasn't got me any further forward with my quest. I thought the idea was to help each other. If you ask me for info (which I have) then I tell you. We can chew the fat when the objective has been achieved, yes?

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
To Twelthmonkey; Attitude is irrelevant. I have ask a question, I require a reply. Simples!! Read the question at the top of the thread, if you don't know the answer then ignore it. If you CAN help then please do so. Thankyou.

D

Deleted member 188533

Attitude is irrelevant.

Have to disagree here. Keep it civil please. This is a great forum full of very knowledgeable people none of whom respond well to rudeness.

To anyone else if you can't help the OP directly please don't post in this thread.

Reactions: Gray and camcroft

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
To Gray: I don't see your logic. I made an assumption about someone and you say my assumption is wrong, then you say you do not know that person... So how can you say my assumption is not correct?

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Hello antor3. What have I done wrong? I seek information. I ask my question in as simple a way as possible. I await a reply. I get a response and try to show the responder that the reason for wanting to repair the speakers isn't just a matter of money, and suddenly the community becomes all defensive. So I've now had 5/6 people interject and only the first (nopiano, thanks) was relevant... And they say I have a problem?

D

Deleted member 188533

Since 'keep it civil please' doesn't seem direct enough for you how about this. Continuing to provoke arguments after being warned not to by a moderator will ensure your time on this site is short.

This is not your first human interaction. No matter what issues you might have or what excuses you might make for your behavior if you understand enough to make a post quantifying that behavior then you know it's inappropriate.

For everyone else I will reiterate, if no one knows a direct and straightforward answer to the question in the OP please refrain from posting in this thread. Thanks all.

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Oh! and antor3 they arn't that knowledgeable. They can't answer my question. I suppose I'll just have to work it out for myself, as usual. It's always the same, the obvious stuff any fool can work out. Ask something off the radar, you know, not an FAQ and they are stumped... Just sayin'...

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Sorry antor3, these posts are coming 'out of sync'. I am not aware of doing anything to provoke an argument. I correspond with other people, I ask questions, they answer. That's the way it should work isn't it? Why are these personalities getting in the way on here?

Gray

Like you Keeper, I'm very much a 'make do and mend' type and never let anything get chucked without a fight to to try to repair it.
If you look again at Nopiano's suggestion of the new driver, you'll see that he was genuinely trying to help you make do and mend, without the hassle and potential for making silly mistakes. The 'throw it away and buy new'type of person would have just advised you to get complete new speakers.
As it happens, you've pointed out that it wouldn't be suitable anyway, which is a shame.

We get the odd newcomer here with a bad attitude and no excuse - so they get what they deserve. But it seems you don't deserve it (we didn't understand you, in the same way as you don't understand us).
Be assured that if someone here had successfully done your repair, they would be only too happy to help.
I don't know if you've seen he Hi-fi Wigwam forum, but there's a DIY section as well as a 2 channel section. I would bet money that someone there will have done just what you're looking to do. I hope so.
Good luck.

That aside these are early B139 'racetrack' versions and are not available new.
I hadn’t appreciated that there were different versions. I’d be interested in understanding the differences.

I last owned B139s in the mid-1970s in a dealer built design. I had a look on Hifi Wigwam where I’m a member and couldn’t find a repair thread for this unit. On YouTube there was a German video but that was no help either.

My best shot would be a pair of ‘in need of attention’ complete KEF speakers you could salvage the drivers from, but they’re still popular for projects so cheap ones are hard to find.

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
To Gray; Thankyou for taking the time to appreciate my point of view, and to nopiano I was simply making the point of wanting to repair not replace,.( well you were pointing me in Falcon's direction). And yes, I did know about their repro B139s. Let me explain in more detail: There are two main versions of the B139. The earlier type, which we are discussing here, also known as 'racetrack' because their chassis is oval and requires an oval hole in the baffle for installation. The later type has a different chassis with, effectively a lug at each corner drilled for mounting, thus it needs a more complex hole in the baffle. In other words you can't swap early and late without having new baffles machined. I run a pair of Lentek Monitors which have the later B139s and I have a spare pair of 139s in case one pops. I have just acquired a beautiful pair of early, rare, 'white' Cambridge R50s which, partnered with a pair of R40s will make up my 4 channel system. The Cambridge's have the early B139's and I have bought a pair of the correct 'racetracks' but they are pretty knackered hence my need to rebuild them. Hope that all makes sense? I will give Wigwam a look, thanks, but it looks like I'll end up winging it. Cheers.

Reactions: Gray

Keepar

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Might I suggest DIY audio forum would be a more suitable place for this kind of query. I love to DIY myself but sadly that's the only help I'm able to offer on this subject.
Hi insider9. I suppose you wouldn't happen to know of any such forums? I only know of Youtube and I've drawn a blank there!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts