Speaker stands for budget setup dilema, advice needed!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the UK & I've currently got a 13 year old Technics midi system hooked up to a Tvix hard disc media player (playing Flac lossless audio files so no need for a CD player). I'm looking to keep the Tvix player but replace the technics midi system & speakers with a low-end separates amp (I'm thinking Cambridge Audio Azur 340A or a low-end NAD amp like the C320BEE) & suitable speakers. Currently the 40cm high Technics speakers (with 13cm mid/bass drivers) are sitting ontop of 30cm high old (from Ebay) Apollo tubular steel speaker stands & they sound so much better raised up a little off the floor & toed-in correctly.

For everything to fit in my room the combined height of the speakers & speaker stands needs to be under 77cm (hence the existing 30cm high stands).

I have 3 options for speakers:

1) Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (I'm sure they'll sound better than the old Technics speakers I've got now) but they're 30cm high so I'd need to buy new stands about 40cm ish (allowing a bit of extra height for carpet spikes).

The problem is that the tannoys are 17cm wide but I've only been able to find 40cm tall stands with top plates wider than 17cm! If the Tannoys are the best option does anyone know of anyone know of some stands that are 40cm high with a top plate thats less than 17cm WIDE (I really don't want the speaker narrower than the stand!)??

2) Cambridge Audio S30 speakers (smaller at just 22cm high) with Atacama Nexus 5 stands (50cm tall but a nice narrow top plate to suit the S30s width) giving a combined height of 72cm, just right, but I'm concerned that the 10cm mid/bass driver will be too small to make it sound much better than what I've got!

3) Go 'a bit' over budget & buy some Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s, they're 35cm tall so would fit on my existing stands (but they'd be 10cm or so too low. Because I can put the cash I would have spend on speaker stands towards the speakers themselves, the extra cost is fine.

I've no real experience of Hi-fi, what do you guys think would be the best setup to go for, I'm leaning towards the BR2s but don't want to throw my money away, especially if they'd be overkill for the amps I'm considering, would the Tannoys or CA S30s raised up 10cm higher than the BR2s sound better & be more appropriate??

Thanks for you help, my other half won't be happy if I get it wrong!!

A

Anonymous

The BR2's will work fine with either of the two amplifiers you mentioned. I had my BR2's with a Roksan Kandy MkIII amp and it still held it's own.

A

Anonymous

Thanks EvilWolf!

So in your opinion the BR2s are 'appropriate' for the amps I'm considering, good!

To anyone else the has experience of the other two speaker setups (the Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs or the Cambridge Audio S30s) with the two amps I mentioned above, are these appropriate to those amps too or would they be holding the amp back???

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts