Speaker Stand Causing Harsh Sound and Reflection

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I finally got a set of speaker stands for my LS50, a pair of 26" Music Tools One. That replaced a set of 24" Solidsteel SL-6. I switched to 26" because the lower tweeter placement of the uni-q driver.

However, after switching to the 26" Music Tools One the sound became harsh and muddled. I'm guessing it is because the extra height is now directing more of the sound towards the wall, while the previos 24" height was hitting more of the couch and absorbing alot of the sound. As the couch sits against a wall, with the 26" alot of the sound is being reflected on the wall behind the couch.

It's a pain because I invested in the Music Tools One hoping it will give me better sound but actually has opposite effect. Gonna try to put some absorbing foam around the back wall behind the couch to see if that helps.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen those padded headboards that fix to walls?

Depending on your decor,and taste, it could provide a solution to your dilema?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A DIY acoustic panel can be made from some 2"x1" baton, Rockwool slab and some speaker grill material, or other acoustically transparent cloth.

If you do'nt feel up to it, panels can be bought at not too silly a price.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The LS50 Uni-Q are much more forgiving, and don't "beam" the treble in the same way as other brands can....so height isn't as crucial.

I take it you are using blu-tac and that the stands are filled.....are these the ones?:

http://www.hi-stands.eu/shop/index.php?item=&action=article&group_id=10000203&aid=2953&lang=EN

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would try angling down temporarily and/or putting old standa back. Odd problem. Toe in the same? All connections good? I would guess stands make only subtle differences? Others may disagree

My links may help with experimenting with absorbers

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
A DIY acoustic panel can be made from some 2"x1" baton, Rockwool slab and some speaker grill material, or other acoustically transparent cloth.

As I might be up to it soon, are we talking about an ordinary Rockwool slab you would buy at any 'good' DIY store?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I would try angling down temporarily and/or putting old standa back. Odd problem. Toe in the same? All connections good? I would guess stands make only subtle differences? Others may disagree

My links may help with experimenting with absorbers

Stands would make no difference if the speaker positions remained the same across the different stands, if however, the speaker sits in a new position because of a difference in stand dimensions, then the resultant changes can be very large.

Moving speakers around can be one of the most noticeable changes that you can make to a system.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I would guess stands make only subtle differences? Others may disagree

IMO. The Stand should be seen as in integral part of the Speaker, and can often make a surprising difference. Things like height, construction, design, material and what they're filled with, all play a part.........just ask CJ.

Some stands work better with some speakers.....it's all a bit of a dark art.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jonathanrebecca said:
Overdose said:

As I might be up to it soon, are we talking about an ordinary Rockwool slab you would buy at any 'good' DIY store?

Best to get the more dense stuff, you can get in the DIY sheds.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
jonathanrebecca said:
Overdose said:

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/products/u/2011.product/9835/building-insulation/acoustic-slab-

You won't need much, but will end up paying for a complete pack at around £36, so factor that in alongside the other materials you will need and compare with an off the peg solution. It's almost worth making sevearl panels and using all of the insulation, or maybe go halves with someone else. If you can get an offcut or a spare sheet that someone doesn't need, then all the better.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
BigH said:
jonathanrebecca said:
Overdose said:

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/products/u/2011.product/9835/building-insulation/acoustic-slab-

You won't need much, but will end up paying for a complete pack at around £36, so factor that in alongside the other materials you will need and compare with an off the peg solution. It's almost worth making sevearl panels and using all of the insulation, or maybe go halves with someone else. If you can get an offcut or a spare sheet that someone doesn't need, then all the better.

Cheers guys!

I'm starting to really enjoy my new BK XXLS400DF but turning the volume up, I'm noticing some booming from the speakers. So in order, I am going to move the speakers in from the corners more, get a rug for the floor, and then maybe make some panels for the corners and main side walls. The room is 4m wide by 5m long with a laminate floor over concrete. Originally the room had a dual purpose - it has floor to ceiling mirrors along one side wall, and a ballet barre along the other, with a vinyl dance floor over the laminate. Other than the HiFi and HC equipment and a sofa, there is nothing much else in there so I suspect there are 'waves' bouncing everywhere. As my son has gone to musical theatre college now, the room is all mine.

oops sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
jonathanrebecca said:
Overdose said:
BigH said:
jonathanrebecca said:
Overdose said:

Cheers guys!

I'm starting to really enjoy my new BK XXLS400DF but turning the volume up, I'm noticing some booming from the speakers. So in order, I am going to move the speakers in from the corners more, get a rug for the floor, and then maybe make some panels for the corners and main side walls. The room is 4m wide by 5m long with a laminate floor over concrete. Originally the room had a dual purpose - it has floor to ceiling mirrors along one side wall, and a ballet barre along the other, with a vinyl dance floor over the laminate. Other than the HiFi and HC equipment and a sofa, there is nothing much else in there so I suspect there are 'waves' bouncing everywhere. As my son has gone to musical theatre college now, the room is all mine.

oops sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread :oops:

Sound bounces around and is reflected by hard surfaces, just as light is reflected by more shiny surfaces. Dampening down unwanted reflections can make a huge difference to how your system sounds, particularly in the case of a room like yours.

If you do a bit of research, you will soon get the gist and be able to make the necessary changes.

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll try experiment with positioning but my living room is quite small so I don't have much options with moving the stands around but I'll play around with toe ins to see if that helps.

If not then I'll try to get some acoustical panels and play around with that instead.

TRENDING THREADS