Speaker shortlist suggestions....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya All,

I'm looking at upgrading my speakers and would love some suggestions to help me build a shortlist. Currently I have a Xindak 6950 with a DAC-8 (I listen to MP3 / FLAC more than CD) and a pair of Spendor SP3/1R - the Spendors are impressive for their size (Diana Krall sounds incredible) but they can't handle some more aggressive tracks (AC/DC / Soundgarden sound a little distant and at the same time a bit confused).

To add to the complexity (nothing's ever easy) I'm doing the expat thing living in China, and some brands are incredibly cheap while others are getting a bit silly (B&W CM9s are selling for about 4,500 GBP).

I'm happy to put some cash down, but the kit I'm looking at so far hasn't quite hit the spot, so I'm looking for some ideas... here's what I've checked out so far...

- Spendor SP100/R - Very easy to listen to and incredibly warm and welcoming , but sounded flat for the price. Wondering if the ST1s would be a better choice (can pick up a pair for the same price as the SP100/R, about ) but hanve't heard them.

- Energy Veritas 6.3 - Love the mids, but they don't seem incredibly forgiving, which worries me when I listen to a wide range of material.

- Gemme Audio Tanto - I've found a couple of pairs going cheaper than I expected, and they sound great for the size, but they do seem sensitive to room placement, and I worry about a driver that size... and the cost is too much to sound great for the size, they should just sound great.

- B&W CM9s - can't justify the price when they're so much cheaper in the UK, but they did come across as nice and punchy.

So - suggestions welcome, especially if it's something made in China therefore incredibly cheap. :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Limey, I agree, relaxing is also not a word I'd apply to 4,500 pounds, but more importantly, I can see how the B&Ws would get fatiguing after a couple of hours - but the SP100s seem to go too far the other way. Have you heard the STs?

A

Anonymous

relaxing is not a word I would use to describe the CM9's, to elaborate I found them quite irritating after a while. So far removed from the world of Spendor

A

Anonymous

Only heard the ST 's briefly at a show so I haven't really got an opinion on them. My Favourite Spendor speaker is the S5 which I thought was a great balanced speaker, no listening fatigue,

A

Anonymous

I know I am a biased Mordaunt Short lover,but the MS Performance 2 would be worth a listen. That's if you can find a dealer out there.

Sliced Bread

Hi CptAtomic
If you like the CM9, then the CM8 might be worth a listen. It is a fair bit cheaper, but whether it justifies the price in your region is another matter.

In terms of fatigue, I think like it comes down to partnering equipment. If you partner them with something too bright, they may be too much (I personally didn't like the CM range with audiolab gear), which I heard some time before purchasing the CM8. To the extent where I didn't demo the CM8 until I got desperate.

With a warm / neutral amp though, they can be a great long term listen.

Volume is also a factor. The CM8’s (with music) tend to sound best at lower to moderate levels IMO.
Thanks

John

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi CptAtomic

I have heard the STs and loved them. IMO They are noticebly better than the A9, but are quite small, so the A9s work better in much bigger rooms. Their presentation is more like the SA1, just more so. I think it's probably the best speaker they've produced. They are a must audition.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts