Speaker Run In

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
All,

I'm in the process of buying new floorstanding speakers. I'd be interested in comments regarding speaker run in. How long probably is speaker dependent. These are spendor speakers.

I'm considering just leaving them on repeat while I'm at work for a few days, but I'm wondering if volume level matters and if so, what volume? Is low volume good enough to achieve proper run in?

Thoughts? Comments?

A

Anonymous

I was advised by the guy in the shop I got mine from, that the Spendors usually need approx 150 hours run-in but the ones I heard in the shop only had about 30 hours, and they sounded unbelievable, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem - they'll just get better and better as you use them !

A

Anonymous

Yeah, give the spendors at least 100 hours before you really start to hear the results, it will give them a chance to loosen up. Which spendors did you go for?

A

Anonymous

I went for the A6 and pick them up on Saturday
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I get my new pair of B&W CM7's in maple tommorrow, cant wait :p

A

Anonymous

ScottH:I get my new pair of B&W CM7's in maple tommorrow, cant wait :p

Happy days !!
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the Spendors - Id say youll start hearing what theyre all about after 50hours but a full run in would be 150-200 plus IMO.

With regards to the CM7's; congrats. Lovely speakers.

My other half has them and we found that after about 50hours they really started to come alive but they took about 200hours to really liven up and become what they are :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ScottH:I get my new pair of B&W CM7's in maple tommorrow, cant wait :p

The CM7's are outstanding. I've been using them for the last 2 years. You probably got a great deal on Maple too since that finish has been discontinued.

I'm getting the A6's in cherry. I just decided that while the A5's are perfect now, I won't always have my stereo in this room and the A6 will work if I eventually move my kit to the living room which is bigger(6 x 4.5 meters).

Right now I have to keep everything locked away from little hands and flying matchbox cars.

A

Anonymous

What about the volume when running in speakers? I generally start at mild listening levels for 1/4 of the total run in time depending on the speakers, then move to normal listening levels with all sorts of music including the Isotek Disc for about 1/2 the running in period. Then finally at 90% of the speakers capability for the last 1/4 of the running in phase. Always done it this way, interesting to hear other peoples opinions...

T

the record spot

I found my 752s took a while to run in - their previous owner hadn't used them for a while, they'd been boxed up and out the way. They really only started to come good in recent weeks and I bought them in November. The sound just seemed to change and feel more right - a few weeks ago, they were very tight sounding, almost sterile; now the music flows like I really want it to.

A

Anonymous

I've been leaving my new Arcam Solo Mini and 685s on continously overnight (low I should add!) and during the day when I'm home - but admit I chicken out when I go to work, just in case! I've heard the figure of 100-200 hours for running in.

Nice feeling though, getting something from new that you can bed-in and knowing all the while it's only going to get better
emotion-2.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:I found my 752s took a while to run in - their previous owner hadn't used them for a while, they'd been boxed up and out the way. They really only started to come good in recent weeks and I bought them in November. The sound just seemed to change and feel more right - a few weeks ago, they were very tight sounding, almost sterile; now the music flows like I really want it to.

I wonder if any of that is placebo. I wonder if speaker "run in" in general is a placebo efffect. As your brain becomes use to the sound of a new compenent it becomes more pleasing. Your brain may well take time to adjust and compensate. I've noticed that I start liking speakers more after a few weeks of ownership even when they are well used.

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Run in or burn in in speakers is not a placebo effect. AL the drivers and all the components need time to operate harmonicly. Some components need to be used. Volume level is an issue when burn in period. Volume must be high for a proper burn in. There are some burn in cd's. But never bother for them. Burn in period is the best period of the speakers. Every listening will be different, and better. Don't try to make it short. Every moment, every hour is a pleasure.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I dont think I really believe in run in ,what you hear is what you get IMO depending on the qaulity of the source (recording) I liked the sound of my speakers from the first day,still sound as good today,but I wouldn't say they are any better now.

A

Anonymous

Johnno all the speakers I have had in my life sound very bright, hard and brittle and have almost no evidence of true bass weight, extention, depth etc. However after running in over 10 sets of speakers in my life, mainly from Monitor Audio. The difference of the treble becoming sweeter instead of harsh, and the bass weight to match the treble. The difference is massive. From what I know, its the same with almost all speaker companies. Very noticable difference.

Best way to really tell IMO is to try your new set of speakers for 10 hours when you recieve them, on normal listening levels and assess the sound. Then put them close together and out of phase and leave them running constantly or for a total of over 100 hours, the key is to at least get 25 hours of high (90%) volume running in done. And then reposition your speakers again, sit down and assess the sound then. Hope this helps

T

the record spot

jaxwired:

I wonder if any of that is placebo. I wonder if speaker "run in" in general is a placebo efffect. As your brain becomes use to the sound of a new compenent it becomes more pleasing. Your brain may well take time to adjust and compensate. I've noticed that I start liking speakers more after a few weeks of ownership even when they are well used.

I'd normally be inclined to agree in some cases, but I noticed a distinct difference over time; a more airy soundstage, depth, width, etc. The sound rounded off rather than retain a hard edge. Bear in mind, these hadn't been used for at least 6 months, so yes, I don't doubt my ears had to tune in, but there's bound to be some "loosening up" for the speaker too.

A

Anonymous

Just listen to them. After all if they sound better than they did you made a better investment than you originally thought you did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts