Speaker replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys,

I'm looking to replace my Gale 4040 floor standers. They were puchased pre-research (error...) and from the reviews they have and the fact that nobody here has ever seen/heard them... all of which makes me think I can do better.

So, I'm looking at:

• My budget is limited, and I do want a floor stander so am looking at older equipment (no problem with that)
  • Up to £200ish
  • Will be driven by Cambridge Azur 540a V2 bi-amped to Cambridge P500 (LF)
  • I like extended bass, punch with some warmth thrown in.
  • Will be located closeish to side walls, but about 1m from the rear (but possibly with some items begind them)

Suggestions would be really apprechiated.

A

Anonymous

Jason36:

I have some Castle Pembroke Floorstanders for sale...........yours for £100 absolute bargain and great speakers. ;-)

Now... would that be because these seem to meet my spec or because you happen to have a pair for sale? (I saw your recent post!)

emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

Pembroke's would be worth a listen...! Alternatively, Mordaunt-Short 914i floorstanders get a good write-up at £250 in Richer Sounds, and there is of course the used market. Mission 751s, not a floorstanders, but a stunning standmounter - about £150 if you find a good pair. Had these a while back and they were breatkaing in presentation; open, powerful, whacking great big soundstage and enough thump in them to satisfy most bass-heads.

You might get some used Acoustic Energy AE170 (I think they are) - they retailed for about £350 new, so a used pair would be worth investigating. Depends on the sound you want though and the music you like....

A

Anonymous

Just googled those Tannoy R2s - they look sweet! Have also heard good things about them on this forum.

Quick question (not wanting to get into the maths).....
My Gale's are rated at 92db into 8 ohms.
Those R2s are rated at 88db into 6ohms... so less sensitive, but lower impedance.

On paper, which will be louder from a 60 WPC amp?

John Duncan

fatboyslimfast:JohnDuncan:Tannoy Revolution R2.

If you can find them. There are some B-grades at a hyper-fi, but they are £299...

And none on fleabay.

Give it time, I've seen them fairly regularly. R1s come up more often, for 50-60 quid.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Pembroke's would be worth a listen...! Alternatively, Mordaunt-Short 914i floorstanders get a good write-up at £250 in Richer Sounds, and there is of course the used market. Mission 751s, not a floorstanders, but a stunning standmounter - about £150 if you find a good pair. Had these a while back and they were breatkaing in presentation; open, powerful, whacking great big soundstage and enough thump in them to satisfy most bass-heads. You might get some used Acoustic Energy AE170 (I think they are) - they retailed for about £350 new, so a used pair would be worth investigating. Depends on the sound you want though and the music you like....

I've heard the MS 914s are fairly bright... which combined with my CA kit might to too much... but as you say..listening will be the only way to find out.

Will research the 751s and the AE170s.. thanks.

Sound wise I enjoy extended bass, I like punch (I think that's what I mean.. e.g. I like the "thwack" of a drum to stand out so that rhythms come alive... attack? defined leading edge? hopefully you know what I mean.. am a novice...), but that said I don't like overly bright and clinical sound... I'd edge towards warm... I like a musical sound rather than hollow.....make sense?

Music? Arctic Monkeys, Mark Ronson, Chilli Peppers, 90s House, Jameriqui, Rolling Stones, Hip-hop, Ambient, Acoustic, all sorts. Mainly faster stuff i'd say and more Arctics genre than Stones, and more house/electronica than Ambient if that helps.

Thanks all so far!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:The Gales. And the R2s are indeed sweet, in all senses of the word, had a pair for some time and they were very nice.

Cheers - I always end up cranking my system up really loud to get the fulfillment I want from the music.... this is possibly because they're lacking something. I have a feeling that a "better" speaker would deliver more, sooner, negating the need to throttle it all the time.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Acoustic Energy AE109's would be a good choice. Usually come on eBay regularly

Yeah - I've been recommended those before, but I'd not really described what I was after, so it's good to know these are still in the running. As you say, they pop up on eBay all the time.

Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts