Question Speaker recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
It's good that your wife is part of your hobby.
A while back, a poster came on asking for estimates on how much his gear would sell for. His partner had instructed him to sell it because she didn't like music.
We soon gave him the message that the one item to lose was the partner.
What I forgot to mention is that QAcoustics may provide the solution. The 3020i is always recommended as a good un.

Reactions: nopiano

robdmarsh

After 8 years of owning a pair of Kef iq10 wife says that she finds them too shrill. I thought something afoot when she recently asks me to turn it off. Whether it's our ageing hearing but I too have been finding the top treble unbearable at times. So I suggested a trip to find speakers we will both enjoy.
This is to you and maybe the OP of this thread, though maybe not as apparently he needs to place speakers pretty much up against a wall, but Triangle Titus EZ have given me nothing but pleasure, and I hate bright sounding speakers. The Triangles are detailed and revealing, even exciting, but they are not bright. Anyway there's a guy on eBay who has a pair on sale for £580 including Moseco 6 stands. They have been on there for months. It's a risk, I suppose, you have to like the sound but this is is a good deal, imo.

Ok I've just seen you're considering QA 3020i ,they're in another bracket price wise to the Q Acoustics you mentioned but the Titus EZ are about 3x as good in sound quality.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I've decided that I'm going to try moving my speakers into my "office". It's a small room about 3.1m x 3.1m square; not an ideal shape but I'm going to give it a go. I will be able to have them around 2ft from the walls. I will be sitting to allow for an equilateral 6ft triangle between each of them and me. I don't listen too loud and I can have them around 16 inches from the back wall.

What say you? I can at least give it a try as it costs me nothing apart from a bit of effort.

If this doesn't sound great then I will look at something like the Focal 906/806 or the Tablettes if they come up

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking at AE500s which I've seen ex-dem. It seems they have a clean, not too analytical, sound which should partner with my Hegel. They also appear to work well close to walls which sounds good for my needs. What do you guys say?

I'm looking at AE500s which I've seen ex-dem. It seems they have a clean, not too analytical, sound which should partner with my Hegel. They also appear to work well close to walls which sounds good for my needs. What do you guys say?
Not heard them but that letter-box slot port should mean they can work well close to a rear wall. They certainly look good.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I spoke with the dealer today and they're happy to take a return if things don't work out. I've ordered them and they should arrive next week . I just need a pair of stands now

I've never owned standmounts, but I believe they will generally be smaller - though ideally not so much smaller that they are unstable. I'd use four blobs of blu tak to secure them. Basically your speakers need to be rigidly supported with the tweeters at ear height*, and most likely angled in towards your listening position to some degree (a bit of experimentation is necessary).

*Measuring this and the distance from the bottom of the speaker to the tweeter will give you a good idea of the sort of stand height you'll need. Good luck!

Mcc

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
I took the chance on a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and have not regretted it. Quiet or louder they sound good to me and I listen to pretty much anything. They are quite big for a stadmount but do not seem particulary fussy about position and the base is remarkably good. Have them on the end of a MF M2
Si. Could be worth a listen

No that's true. I don't know anything about stands. Would I be right in saying all the top plates of the stands will all be smaller than the speaker base? I'm assuming this is normal.
It is. Unless you buy stands dedicated to that one speaker, which is a mistake, then too plates will normally be smaller than the speaker you want to sit upon them.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Quick update for anyone interested. I have tested the AE500s with my system and while they sounded good, they didn't - to my ears - match my Mystique II pair. I have managed to position these to my satisfaction after moving some stuff around the room and I must say these old workhorses and gold. I recollect I paid about £180 for them years ago and I've yet to audition speakers ( that I could afford ) that match them.

Anyway, I now have a set of Attacama stands which I've used. I will try and see if Richer sounds will take them back minus a handling fee but I'm not that confident.

Anyway thanks to all for your help

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Richer sounds took them back without a problem. They are a really great company and a real high street alternative to online shopping. I'd recommend them to anyone.
I went in to my local Richer Sounds to buy a CD player and also came out with CD player and amp. Nothing was too much trouble and they even paid for my parking. Great company and helpful staff.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts