Speaker recommendations for smallish room

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Looking for advice on speakers to be used in an 11x15 foot room, with solid plaster walls and carpeted floor. The speakers would be placed against the long wall, either side of the TV (about 4 feet apart), firing across the room. Distance behind the speakers would be limited to about 8 inches.

I dug out a pair of Leema Xones I had in storage which I thought might work but the overall sound was too lean. The top end was fine being clean and smooth which worked well with the openness of the amps and didn't sound sibilant at all but I'm after something with a fuller sound (but not too big so as to be boomy).

They'd be used with a Marantz CD17KI mk2 and a Plinius M8/P8 pre/power. Budget, say up to £1,500 new or used, floorstanders or stand mounts.

So, any recommendations for a potential short list?

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Mac,

Thanks for the recommendations.

From what I've read it seems the SHL5s have the sound I'm after but are too wide (they'd get knocked over). In terms of the P3ESR, I don't think they'd produce a full enough sound given their size.

The A5s look to have good potential as do the A6s and D18s, although the latter two may be a bit big.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
try some pmc's or go sealed box route, floorstanders gb1i or standmound db1i would be a logical choice.

I was wondering about the GB1is but I thought the DB1is would be too small to produce the fuller sound I'm after. If you've compared the two, did you find this to be the case?

As an aside, how do you find the treble on the LS50s - I've read they're incredibly detailed but is it also quite smooth/clean without being fatiguing? I quite like the look of them but gather they're a bit limited in the bottom end (as expected given their size), so probably not for me.

i've just recently bought a pair of Focal 826v floorstanders, i have these around 7 inches away from the back wall, i sit around 10 feet away from the speakers, i have plaster walls, and carpet too.

these speakers sound fantastic, give them a demo. i bought mine blind, just through reading as many reviews as i could, and i'm completely blown away by them.

smargo77

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
ajmjcowan said:
Looking for advice on speakers to be used in an 11x15 foot room, with solid plaster walls and carpeted floor. The speakers would be placed against the long wall, either side of the TV (about 4 feet apart), firing across the room. Distance behind the speakers would be limited to about 8 inches.

Dont buy anything until you hear the cambridge aero 2 bookshelves - they are remarkable - they are a real breakthrough

cambridge doesnt know what they have in this gem - the balanced mode radiator handles the highs and the midbass

there is a proper woofer - this speaker blows away many speakers in this price range and at least 2-3-4 times its price

best of all its $499 here in the states

cambridge audio - who knew?

thanks

stew margolis

glen mills, pennsylvania

smargo77

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
ajmjcowan said:

Dont buy anything until you hear the cambridge aero 2 bookshelves - they are remarkable - they are a real breakthrough

cambridge doesnt know what they have in this gem - the balanced mode radiator handles the highs and the midbass

there is a proper woofer - this speaker blows away many speakers in this price range and at least 2-3-4 times its price

best of all its $499 here in the states

cambridge audio - who knew?

thanks

stew margolis

glen mills, pennsylvania

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I've heard a pair of Pioneer EX bookshelves (can't remember which of the two models in the series) in a very tiny room, they produced beautiful music despite being made to do so in a really claustrophobic space. Might be worth looking into them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ajmjcowan said:
Macspur said:
But, before any more suggestions, what makes to you have access to and are able to demo, preferably home.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Forgot to add in my previous response, I'm in London so have access to a fair range of brands. Home demos are a bit more of a challenge though, not having a car - taxi!

Hi,

Any good dealer worth their salt will allow a home demo, especially if you do a store dem firstso don't worry too much about that.

You may be surprised by the P3ESR, so don't rule it out , or there's also the 30.1 gets very good reviews, but not sure about the size for you.

Personally, I didn't like the LS50, but I may be doing it a disservice as it wasn't paired with very good amplification at the time.

Keep us posted how you get on.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The LS50s are worth a demo but not sure they would suit your room and yes they need decent amp to shine and maybe not enough bass for you?

With your amp. room and speaker positioning a sealed speaker maybe the best bet.

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
iJoe said:
Would some sound absorbtion behind you help fill out the sound? Imagine your sitting up against the wall too.

Yeah, the wall (solid plaster) is right behind my head, which I expect isn't helping. No chance of any absorption panels though - the missus wouldn't have it. Previously my stereo has always been set up in quite large/open plan rooms with timber frame/plaster board walls (the smallest was probably 14x20) - I never really appreciated before how much impact the room has on the sound.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd also suggest you don't discount the Harbeth P3ESR without hearing them. I demo'd a pair in a larger room than yours (the main room at KJWestOne) and they sounded great - able to get DSOTM filling the room pretty darned well. The 30.1's would be even better I suspect (Haven't heard them) but are over your budget.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of being accused of being an audio heretic, may I suggest the following?:

PMC DB1i + REL R218 sub

I have this set-up in one (small) room, and have found it to be an excellent combination. The PMC's give excellent near-field monitoring (as you would expect from a 'domestic version of a pro monitor'), whilst the REL R218 is a fast and musical sub that can be adjusted to meet your bass needs.

I know that many are not all keen on 'diluting' the stereo image with a separate sub (hence the 'heretic comment above!), but I have found that the overall clarity and 'directionality' of the music is not diminished at all, whilst the sub creates a real sense of 'space' around the music. A potential benefit of this approach is that you could try the DB1is first to see if they give you the overall sound you're after. If not, try the sub later.

I bought all of my gear as 'shop demo', but actually it was brand spanking, and it came to less than what you suggested for your budget (inc £100 for the wall brackets for the DB1is). I also have a pair of PMC GB1i (which I also love), but they won't give you the flexibility (or the overall 'weight') of the first set-up.

Good luck!

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
At the risk of being accused of being an audio heretic, may I suggest the following?:

PMC DB1i + REL R218 sub

I have this set-up in one (small) room, and have found it to be an excellent combination. The PMC's give excellent near-field monitoring (as you would expect from a 'domestic version of a pro monitor'), whilst the REL R218 is a fast and musical sub that can be adjusted to meet your bass needs.

I know that many are not all keen on 'diluting' the stereo image with a separate sub (hence the 'heretic comment above!), but I have found that the overall clarity and 'directionality' of the music is not diminished at all, whilst the sub creates a real sense of 'space' around the music. A potential benefit of this approach is that you could try the DB1is first to see if they give you the overall sound you're after. If not, try the sub later.

I bought all of my gear as 'shop demo', but actually it was brand spanking, and it came to less than what you suggested for your budget (inc £100 for the wall brackets for the DB1is). I also have a pair of PMC GB1i (which I also love), but they won't give you the flexibility (or the overall 'weight') of the first set-up.

Good luck!

I'd thought about the monitor/sub option, but there's no where (practical) for the sub to sit.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My pleasure. Just so you know, the best location for REL subs is in a corner, and the best connection is off the high-level (speaker output) connections from your amp or from a speaker (just in case that makes any difference...)

As well as the previous suggestions, and likely to be right at the top of your budget if you can find them with the (excellent and quite lovely) matching stands: B&W PM1. I demo'd them a while back and was blown away by the overall quality and fullness of the sound from such a small speaker. They do need to be on stands, though (as opposed to wall-mounted, as I have my PMC DB1is), so I didn't go with them in the end.

Good luck!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
My pleasure. Just so you know, the best location for REL subs is in a corner, and the best connection is off the high-level (speaker output) connections from your amp or from a speaker (just in case that makes any difference...)

As well as the previous suggestions, and likely to be right at the top of your budget if you can find them with the (excellent and quite lovely) matching stands: B&W PM1. I demo'd them a while back and was blown away by the overall quality and fullness of the sound from such a small speaker. They do need to be on stands, though (as opposed to wall-mounted, as I have my PMC DB1is), so I didn't go with them in the end.

Good luck!

I have often heard that the hi-level input is the best one to use.

That goes against pretty much everything I know about hi-fi, I had always considered line level to be preferable.

If you have an explanation I would genuinely like to hear it........ :?

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
According to the REL web-site (which reproduces stuff from the User Guides, etc.):

The high-level, unbalanced, dual-channel stereo input uses a Neutrik Speakon connector that is connected to the power amplifier’s left and right channel speaker terminals. This has the advantage of ensuring that the REL receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers. In this way, the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass. This is a very important point and together with REL’s Input and Filter Circuitry ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system.

More info can be found here:

http://rel.net/support/rel-connectivity/

and here:

http://rel.net/support/rel-set-up/

Please remember, I am only the messenger!

I can't vouch for the reasoning, all I can tell you is that it works amazingly well. I have been delighted with the sound I'm getting, and the sub itself is beautifully finished and very well made. It looks (and sounds) like a really high-quality piece of kit. If you haven't had a listen to one, you could do worse than having a little play...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts