Speaker Recommendation with Arcam Alpha 8R Amp

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello forum,

I've just picked up a secondhand Arcam Alpha 8R integrated amp on eBay for £125, but I don't have any speakers to go with it (yet). Can anyone recommend some good floorstanders - secondhand is fine - budget perhaps £100 - £150.

I used to own an Arcam Alpha 9 amp which I paired with a set of Mission 752 speakers (and a Marantz CD-63 KI-Signature CD player), so I guess the Missions might be an option. But I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Current music source is an iTunes library on my PC, which I intend to connect up to the amp using a high quality sound card's analogue output (and, later, to consider using the sound card's digital output & a separate DAC stage)

Thanks!

Alan.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
ps the iTunes library is mostly Apple Lossless stuff now, rather than the low bit rate MP3 files I originally started out with!

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I wonder if I ought to consider stand mounted speakers as well as floorstanders. My lounge is quite small. Any thoughts?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to run this amp with B&W 602s which was very nice, a little on the warm side for some but very good if you like that. As mentioned the Q Acoustics speakers are great value even from new, they need a bit of power to sound their best but the 8 should be enough.

I would agree with 12Designs recommendation of the Acoustic energy speakers too, the AE109s in particular are a very good buy if in good nick, these aren’t the last word in deep bass or even the most sophisticated top end but what they do well is midrange and upper bass which is just so tight and attacking. I remember going to demo these years ago and put on Ocean colour Scene, track 1 ‘The River Boat Song’ and the bass guitar riff just blew me away.

bigalxyz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their advice.

In the end I spotted a pair of B&W 601s local to me on eBay, and I managed to snap them up for £75. Sound v good - surprisingly full bass for such small boxes, no problem filling my lounge at all - they sound lively & tuneful too.

Next step is to think about an external DAC to improve the sound quality coming out of my iTunes library.

Alan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts