speaker positioning

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i know the closer you place a speaker to a wall,corner ect the deeper the bass gets in theory - but how does the treble react under the same circumstances?

for example do speakers get brigter or warmer the closer to a wall or corner or does it have no effect

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I spent quite a lot of time reading various different theories on speaker positioning last night with regards to bass, treble and soundstage - one article went into a lot of detail regarding back walls and corners for bass and distance from side walls for treble and soundstage as well as the normal flat surfaces bright/padding takes off rough edges.

there seemed to be a number of different theories when it comes to toe in some suggest a little some a lot and some traight on but also dependant on speakers.

was just wondering if anyone has a hard and fast rule to working this out?

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:I spent quite a lot of time reading various different theories on speaker positioning last night with regards to bass, treble and soundstage - one article went into a lot of detail regarding back walls and corners for bass and distance from side walls for treble and soundstage as well as the normal flat surfaces bright/padding takes off rough edges.

there seemed to be a number of different theories when it comes to toe in some suggest a little some a lot and some traight on but also dependant on speakers.

was just wondering if anyone has a hard and fast rule to working this out?

I don't think you should worry about it. Generally moving speakers back against the wall reinforces the bass response, but there are many variables. Just leave them where your ears tell you sounds best.

A

Anonymous

i think the problem is it is always a compromise... if you think your speakers are lacking in low bass and you move them closer to the wall to compensate then you may find that the low bass increses. however, the upper and mid bass (which were fine before) may also increase.
also, if you move the speakers closer to the rear wall, your depth of soundstage will obviously become limited. i think it also stands to reason that if you move the speakers closer to the side walls (and hence the reflection points) you will notice an increase in treble. just my thoughts though
as grimley noted it is best to work on trial and error to find the optimal position for your speakers. failing that try fiddling with the stands, what you use between speakers and stands, foam bungs etc to acheive the best from your speakers - though judging by your recent spate of speaker related topics i think you have exhausted all other options?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts