speaker placement (yes another)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi,

so ive finally got the yamaha 763 and the jamo a102hcs5, now i need to sort out where the surround speakers are going. ive done alot of research (on this site and others!) and dont seem to be able to arrive at a solution! it is mainly the height that seems to be the problem at the moment.

the dolby site reccomends the speakers above ear level but not by how much!

the jamo instructions say to have the surrounds at 1.8 meters high (this is 900mm above my ear height) - but doesnt say anything about angling them down to the seating position as i have read some people advised to do on the forum.

one mounting option i have is to have one 2.1m high (to clear a door) would this be too high?

thanks

ant

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
It's better to use trial and error to see what you like best. Over the years I've had very small satellites at ear height and dipole surrounds at ceiling height. At present I have 2 kef eggs at ceiling height pointed down and that ( I have found) produces the best sense of scale, rather than coming straight at you at ear height. Good luck.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
For movies, it's probably better to have the 'surround' sound quite diffuse - not too directional. ÿThis is what dipole speakers set out to achieve and many people prefer this enveloping effect. ÿAs usual, in practice it does tend to be a case of 'trial and error' and - as well as height - there's distance to consider. ÿFor what it's worth, my (4) surrounds are all about 1.8 metres high. ÿI began with them pointing straight ahead, but then loosened the clamps so that they now point down a little. ÿThe effect seems good to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts