Speaker placement query - isosceles triangle.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
It's easier - room-placement-wise - to have my speaker set up like the following:

(2nd from right): http://images.planetmath.org/cache/objects/149/js/img1.png

I.e a really flat isosceles triangle; the speakers far apart (about 2m) angled heavily inwards.

Is this a bad idea?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is George Cardas's take on it:
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

Willferox, that might sound a bit like wearing headphones, with not much central image.

If you listen to studio-created music it might not matter, but if you want to recreate a concert venue accurately or want vocals to come from just one place, you'll need something a bit less extreme.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd need to know more about the room really, but an isosceles or equilateral triangle will be fine.

Take into account though that the closer the speakers are, the more muddled the image can become, so they'll need to be a certain distance apart (6-7 feet usually) in order to get a decent stereo field. This might be the choice if you're listening down the longer length of a very thin room - you don't want the speakers too close to a side wall as in this position they won't be toed in very much, and you may well end up with a lot of HF reflection from the side walls.

An equilateral triangle works well with speakers that are very good at imaging, so this choice isn't good for all speakers. This will more than likely be the choice of those listening across the shorter length of an oblong room. Depending on the speaker's imaging abilities, some may need to be toed in more than others in order to produce a good central image.

In your position, angling them heavily inwards with them being so close together will more than likely leave you with a very mono sounding stereo field, lacking in width. I think you should try them facing straight out if you're quite far from them - even speakers that don't image too well should be able to give a good central image when that close together - unless of course, they're just too close to be able to image well at all.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Here is my room:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/img0984copy.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/img0985us.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/img0986gh.jpg/

I appreciate it's not the perfect setup regarding soundstage etc. I want to get the best sound with the equipment I while I'm sitting at my desk (where I work and listen to music), and then every now and then drop back and appreciate the soundstage & watch a movie.

Here is what I'm thinking about doing:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/img09842.jpg/

- moving the speakers onto stands either side of the desk, heavily angled inwards pointing nearer my head. The reason I want to do this is to avoid bass resonance from the wooden desk, and create more distance between myself and the speakers. I'm worried that moving the speakers and heavily-angling them inwards will hinder sound quality, or make things sound way too stereo. Do you think this will be the case?

nb I have a sub.
nb the Mezzos are front-ported.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
On any right angled triangle the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.........:)

Some things did sink in at school.......:O

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
On any right angled triangle the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.........:)

Correct. Except this thread is about isosceles triangles. (Two or more sides of equal length.)

There is a subset of right angled triangles that are also isosceles triangles (the ones where adjacent and opposite sides are of equal length) but it doesn't follow that all isosceles triangles are right angled triangles. Equilateral triangles are also a subset of isosceles triangles but they can have no right angles.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
This may read like a stupid idea but well worth a try. Plonk your speakers in an area where you think they could be ok. If they sound s****e move em and listen again. Still s***e , move em again. Actually come to think of it it is a stoopid idea, keep asking questions on here to get replies from folk who have no idea what your room acoustics are like.

Tongue firmly jabbed in cheek with a smidge of added sarcasm.

Just bloody listen the sodding things, listen to how your room is playing them. It aint rocket science mate. :grin:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
alchemist 1 said:

Correct. Except this thread is about isosceles triangles. (Two or more sides of equal length.)

There is a subset of right angled triangles that are also isosceles triangles (the ones where adjacent and opposite sides are of equal length) but it doesn't follow that all isosceles triangles are right angled triangles. Equilateral triangles are also a subset of isosceles triangles but they can have no right angles.
The internet is a wondrous place...........:)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Have i missed something vital Chebby ,lol. Or was that your reply to the OPs last post ?. Post No 13 byraway.

I looked at the photos and it seems a hopeless situation. I'd recommend good headphones (when seated at the desk) and suggest wall mounting the speakers - either side of the TV and pointing down a bit - to get them off the desk/away from corners higher than the bed etc. (Better than very tall stands.)

I don't know if the bed can me moved a bit to give a more 'on-axis' listening/viewing position.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear he isnt going to get much joy from that is he. Out of your 2 options I would go with headphones too, and be done with. As it stands imo he has a couple of chances for it to sound ok. A dogs chance and none.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Willferox said:
It's easier - room-placement-wise - to have my speaker set up like the following:

(2nd from right): http://images.planetmath.org/cache/objects/149/js/img1.png

I.e a really flat isosceles triangle; the speakers far apart (about 2m) angled heavily inwards.

Is this a bad idea?

I'd have the speakers a bit flatter and leave them in their locations this should sound better when your are listening in bed. For sessions when you are at the desk, get some headphones (as mentioned before).

Ideally, for listening that closely, you'd be better off with mini monitors on your desk. HiFi speakers will not image correctly at close range, regardless of position.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts