Speaker mods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
I think it is pointless for all but a handfull of diy enthuiast.

Any crossover, passive or active, really needs to be specifically taylored for individual speakers and I think this is essential for critical use.

I thought deep down it might be b#####s. You've confirmed it. A pity because it's an interesting concept for a mass market AV receiver.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:

Any crossover, passive or active, really needs to be specifically taylored for individual speakers and I think this is essential for critical use.

I thought deep down it might be b#####s. You've confirmed it. A pity because it's an interesting concept for a mass market AV receiver.

It certainly is and it is easy to just circumnavigate the crossover. Whether buying the Onkyo for just this feature makes sense is another question but it is commendable to include it.

At least you have a 'near active' with your Pearls ... :)

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
chebby said:
davedotco said:

It certainly is and it is easy to just circumnavigate the crossover. Whether buying the Onkyo for just this feature makes sense is another question but it is commendable to include it.

At least you have a 'near active' with your Pearls ... :)

regards

I haven't bought an Onkyo 818 so the present tense is redundant regarding it or any speaker mods.

It seems, from what Dave has confirmed, that the electronic crossover/DSP in the TX-NR818 is worthless without either specifically designed speakers (to match the limited settings), or professional electronic crossovers where every variable can be programmed..

In other words.. a gimmick with no real world value slapped into a mass market AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts