Speaker matching

Juan67

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
I have had a Yamaha RN-803D for a few years now and I am looking to purchase some new speakers to replace my old floor standers. It is mainly used for music (LP,cd+stream) and I would like to know whether I should be looking for any specifics to system match or am I overthinkings things as it is a cheaper unit compared to high end amp tech.
Cheers

Juan67

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
I see what you mean.
I actually have a budget of 1.5k to upgrade my speakers as I have been using acoustic solution Av120s that I bought as a (rave) teenager 23 years ago. The stereo is bi wired with some old gale bookshelf speakers I picked up somewhere.
I am very aware of the sound difference between different speakers and headphones when I hear them so I feel it's time to get some semi decent speakers to listen to.

I see what you mean.
I actually have a budget of 1.5k to upgrade my speakers as I have been using acoustic solution Av120s that I bought as a (rave) teenager 23 years ago. The stereo is bi wired with some old gale bookshelf speakers I picked up somewhere.
I am very aware of the sound difference between different speakers and headphones when I hear them so I feel it's time to get some semi decent speakers to listen to.
the next question is what can you actually get to audition yourself?
Next is floorstanders again?
Presumably that's £1500?
some of the best I have heard within your budget are the Focal Chora 826 and Dali Oberon 5 but you really are going to have to have a listen yourself.

Last edited:

Peter227

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I have had a Yamaha RN-803D for a few years now and I am looking to purchase some new speakers to replace my old floor standers. It is mainly used for music (LP,cd+stream) and I would like to know whether I should be looking for any specifics to system match or am I overthinkings things as it is a cheaper unit compared to high end amp tech.
Cheers

Hi Juan,

My Yamaha AS801 is paired with Triangle Borea BR09. Great sound.

Regards,
P

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Interesting, I'd be quite happy with 1500k speakers on the end of what was an 800 quid amp
It would probably be better to have £800 speakers on the end of a £1500 amp. I learnt that lesson years ago when a mate had a Linn LP12 turntable feeding a Naim amp driving Acoustic Research AR18 speakers which were low cost speakers. The sound was unbelievable

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I can only say go and have a listen and if possible demo with your amp if not replacing that also.
I was going to pull the trigger on something that ultimately would not have been suitable for me and it was only after an initial listening session followed by a much longer evaluation session with a number of different speakers and amps that I settled on what I ended up with. I could never have known without listening and although it seems to be somewhat of a cliché what suits one person definitely doesn't necessarily suit somebody else!

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS