Speaker Help: Rear surround placement + Atmos

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm currently building an extension to my house which will have a 4m long by 6m family room in it. The tv will sit on one side and the dinning table the other. The problem I have is what to do with my surrond speakers.

I'm thinking of picking up the new Sony DN1080 with the monitor audio bronze speaker package. I'm also gonna add a pair of monitor audio in ceiling speakers for Atmos. The problem I have is placing the rear surrounds. As the room is open plan it's hard to place them near or behind the sofa and if I celing mount them will it interfere with the downard firing atmos speakers? Also should I actually mix my speakers and get smaller surrounds for the rear and have the the bronze 5 and center speaker + sub at the front, if so what surrounds would pair well? I'm currently at build stage so easy to run cables but need to make a decision so I can make a plan!

Thanks for your help!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was in a similar dilemma in the recent past. And my solution was to change the position of the tv. I now have the couch right up on the opposite wall, and a sound bar just above ear height to act as rear surrounds. The project is not yet completed, so I can't tell you how it all sounds.

You could go with in ceiling rears, and they would not interfere with the Atmos speakers. The Atmos speakers are not playing all the time . They only come into play when over head sounds need to be reproduced. Which at the moment is not much. However in the future they maybe employed more to create a continuous 3d sound envelope. So you could use very directional in ceiling speakers for your rear surrounds , along with in ceiling Atmos speakers . However you need a very competent room correction system to blend those in ceiling rears surrounds into the sound field. And IAM not sure the Sony is upto it in str dn 1080. You could consider options from marantz , denon, Yamaha or pioneer to optimise the performance of those rear surrounds

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Qacoustics q7000i in all my replies here. You could buy 2 additional q7000lri for 225 pounds and mount them on the ceiling as rear surrounds. Their mounting gives them lot of flexibility with angling them to create the exact directionality that is needed. I use them in a room of 14x17 ft, and IAM completely blown away by their sound quality and diminutive size. Do audition them if you can. And I use a marantz sr6011 avr, which comes with audessey and makes those speakers really sing for both movies and music . All the best

Some pictures will help to better understand your room setup. In general, you're right that having rear speakers and Atmos speakers in the ceiling will middle the sound. It's the height gradient that creates the Atmos effect.

My 7.1.4 system is entirely of Monitor Audio in-wall and in-ceiling speakers (Trimless 200). For the Bronze, Trimless 100 will suit well. I've got 8 inch speakers for fronts and surrounds, and 6.5 inch speakers for Atmos speakers. The performance is amazing.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Get a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers and hang them by the speaker cables from the ceiling.

If they sound rubbish you can amuse yourself playing conkers with them.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts