speaker help needed

watling74

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
hi all, i have a marantz 5005 amp, a rega planar p1 turntable with a pair of wall mounted monitor audio bronze 2 speakers in a 13x9ft room. the set up is moving to a larger room in a few weeks time and i would like to get some floor mounted speakers as the wife doesnt like them on the wall. the new room is 15x12ft with a hard floor and a pool table. i am happy with the sound quality of the bronze 2s but have been looking at a pair of monitor audio bronze 6 floor standing speakers. seem a bargain at £449. mostly listen to vinyl but also have an alexa dot connected via aux which gives a reasonable sound. are these speakers suited to my setup and can anyone recommend any others.

mikeyc38

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
hi all, i have a marantz 5005 amp, a rega planar p1 turntable with a pair of wall mounted monitor audio bronze 2 speakers in a 13x9ft room. the set up is moving to a larger room in a few weeks time and i would like to get some floor mounted speakers as the wife doesnt like them on the wall. the new room is 15x12ft with a hard floor and a pool table. i am happy with the sound quality of the bronze 2s but have been looking at a pair of monitor audio bronze 6 floor standing speakers. seem a bargain at £449. mostly listen to vinyl but also have an alexa dot connected via aux which gives a reasonable sound. are these speakers suited to my setup and can anyone recommend any others.
What about Ffyne Audio F302? However, in a room with a concrete floor be careful of speakers having a loose bass sound - the concrete floor will accentuate it. Also try arranging the room so that the speakers fire across the short axis of the room. Firing down the long axis can sometimes cause standing waves to form which messes up the sound.

BTW my wife didn't like the black standmount speakers I originally had as they dominated the room decor to much, so she eventually allowed me to get some Mission 782 floorstanders which matched the decor better and I still have them to this day!

Reactions: matthewpiano

watling74

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
ive bitten the bullet and ordered a pair of bronze 6 floorstanders. the wife will now allow me to upgrade the amp. any recommendations at under £600 ish. music preference is mostly rock with a bit of flogging molly, ezra furman and the like.

D

Deleted member 108165

Marantz PM6007?
Secondhand PM7***/PM8*** series would have been my suggestion for a decent upgrade but OP doesn't like the front panel even though he currently owns one :) Marantz aesthetics are Marmite-like I guess.

A change to Yamaha is a good call but he might not enjoy the possible difference in presentation compared to the Marantz... I firmly believe that amps do sound different.

D

Deleted member 108165

ive bitten the bullet and ordered a pair of bronze 6 floorstanders. the wife will now allow me to upgrade the amp. any recommendations at under £600 ish. music preference is mostly rock with a bit of flogging molly, ezra furman and the like.
I had some Bronze 5's (BX5's) with my first Marantz amp and they sounded damned good to my ears.

Secondhand PM7***/PM8*** series would have been my suggestion for a decent upgrade but OP doesn't like the front panel even though he currently owns one :) Marantz aesthetics are Marmite-like I guess.

A change to Yamaha is a good call but he might not enjoy the possible difference in presentation compared to the Marantz... I firmly believe that amps do sound different.
And the Yamaha certainly meets his shape requirements even a bit retro looking like his turntable.... :)

watling74

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
so its all set up and im very happy with the sound. set up is now Yamaha A-S501, rega P1 and monitor audio bronze 500. all sounds good, plenty of base with clear sound.

only thing ive now got is when playing vinyl at near full volume im getting a loud vibration bassy sound when playing quiet bits. especially inbetween songs. have i done something wrong? the speakers were run in for around 40 hours.

so its all set up and im very happy with the sound. set up is now Yamaha A-S501, rega P1 and monitor audio bronze 500. all sounds good, plenty of base with clear sound.

only thing ive now got is when playing vinyl at near full volume im getting a loud vibration bassy sound when playing quiet bits. especially inbetween songs. have i done something wrong? the speakers were run in for around 40 hours.
That sounds like rumble or feedback, or a bit of both. Unfortunately most turntable setups produce low frequencies from warps and other record imperfections, along with arm resonance. Also, the turntable cannot be totally silent when it has a motor, bearing and rotating platter. When amplified at high volume this will excite the bass unit in your speakers - especially if they are ported. That speaker output can then vibrate the turntable and create acoustic feedback.
Solution - be sensible with the volume control. Ensure the turntable isn’t too near either speaker, and on a suitable, level surface. Double-check the tracking weight though I’m not sure it’s adjustable on the Planar 1.

Reactions: watling74

watling74

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
cheers for that. makes alot of sense. its fine upto around 75% volume although i doubt it will ever need to go much higher than around 40% in normal use

rainsoothe

Buy an IKEA Apitilig bamboo chopping board and a set of Vibrapods or sorbothane feet, and put that under the tt. It will help a lot with the vibration feedback. (Calculate the weight of the tt + chopping board and buy the feet accordingly).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts