Speaker Downsize? Please help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle.

About two years ago I inherited some good mission 753 freedoms (yes I know I’m a lucky ***), and I went out and bought a NAD C542 cd player and accompanying amp the C352. While this is a great system, my listening room is only 3 metre square and it’s become very clear that the speakers are just not suited. I like the big sound they produce but want a cleaner sound after the boomy sound I've been listening to for a while.

I was wondering what to spend my £500 budget on, are standmounts the way to go or can I get some floorstanders that would suit my small room? I was looking at some kef iq50’s or monitor audio sliver rs5’s (not auditioned yet). I can stretch my budget if it would make a big difference.

Any help would be great as I’m a complete novice. Many thanks.

I think floorstanders are pushing it with the size of room you have. Although Monitor Audios are a fine match for Nad. To maximize your listening pleasure I would certainly listen to MA RS1's or B&W 685's. By all means, test the RS5's at home and see how they cope with your acoustics.

As always listen to any speaker before buying, regardless of whether they are bookshelf or towers.

A

Anonymous

How about a lovely pair of Spendor S3E. Smooth, detailed, not especially bassy but superb imaging. Would work well in your size of room. Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

There's also EB Acoustics, plus the new Rega speakers. Both should easily better the B&W 385s and buying either of them will help the UK's economy since they're made here.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:There's also EB Acoustics

I second that one. Based on the WHF review, they seem to be a perfect fit for what you're looking for. Plus you can't go wrong with the 30 day guarantee. Also fits your budget. I'd try them first.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The EB Acoustics EB1 - review here- certainly pair up well with the newer NAD kit (we found the C545BEE and C326BEE great partners).

Plenty more options in our August-issue test of £450-£500 standmounts (issue in shops by Wednesday), and don't rule out the cheaper B&W 685s along with sturdy stands - they've won back-to-back Awards for their versatility.

A

Anonymous

find Wally:
I like the big sound they produce but want a cleaner sound after the boomy sound I've been listening to for a while.

I was wondering what to spend my £500 budget on, are standmounts the way to go

I would suggest that you add Epos to your audition list. Just a shade over £500 will see these addorning your living room. Alternatively, the younger brother M5i will leave you some change.

A

Anonymous

The EB1's undoubtedly look like a great option and I do like the idea of supporting a new british company. I live out in the sticks and can only audition kef and MA products at the local dealer, but the money back garauntee of EB Acoutics is a nice idea.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts