Speaker Dilemma

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I have listened to so many speakers over the last few weeks, it was becoming all a bit muddled. However, I think I've whittled it down to a choice of 2;

Totem Signature Model1 and ATC SCM19

I've got a chance to buy the Totem's at £1395 as aposed to their full price of over £2100 and I've also been offered the ATC's at £1500.

I listened to the Totem's with my Sugden A21 amp and they sounded sweet, but I haven't heard the SCM19 yet.

Also to throw into the mix my ATC dealer is keen for me to hear the ATC 40's.

Reading previous posts about ATC have left me with concerns about the possibility of them showing up poor recordings, yes we want a natural sound, but personally I don't want to hear the likes of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours in it's original state.

Are my fears of the ATC unfounded and settle for them, or should I go for the Totem's?

Sugden A21 amp, Rega Saturn CDP B&W CM2

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Macspur:
Reading previous posts about ATC have left me with concerns about the possibility of them showing up poor recordings, yes we want a natural sound, but personally I don't want to hear the likes of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours in it's original state.

Eh? Rumours has amazing sound quality.

A

Anonymous

If the Totems capture your attention and make you want to listen to music, buy them. If they don't, keep searching.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
it would be best if you could demo some 19s for yourself, they do let you hear differences between recordings easily enough, but having said that, to my ears at least, they don't make it sound offensive. and even if i did find it offensive, i might forgive them for how gobsmackingly good they are with a decent recording.

i'm not really a fleetwood mac fan, but i'm listening to the very best of... and it doesn't sound bad at all.

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
"Dilemmour" eh ? Bravo, a stroke of genius, so much more lyrical than the conventional spelling. I think we need to petition the OED.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:If the Totems capture your attention and make you want to listen to music, buy them. If they don't, keep searching.

Brilliant and seconded...
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't buy on price. Buying a speaker with a higher discount is going to be useless if that speaker doesn't match up well with your amplification. Make sure you hear both speakers with your amplification to ensure the amplifier is capable of driving them properly (to your preferred volume levels).

The A21 is a powerful little sucker, and I have no doubt that it would power the 19's and 40's to suitable levels. Whether it can sustain the levels and keep a bit of headroom spare for clean dynamics, you'll have to test by demo.

The SCM40's, while technically better in some ways, are a much more fussier speaker than the SCM19's in terms of amplifier matching, so careful demo-ing is highly recommended. I myself, and two other co workers, one of whom is an ATC owner, both feel that the SCM19's produce a far more listenable experience than the 40's, which we think is helped by the fact that the SCM19 uses an SL spec bass/mid driver (as used in their far more expensive speakers, which the 40 doesn't use), even though the 40's use a dedicated mid dome driver (which again, isn't up to the spec of ATC's big boys).

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry to bring back an old thread (and I think this is my first post - so maybe not a good way to start?). However, I've been having a very similar dilemma - narrowed my speaker choices to Totem 1 Signature, ATC SCM19 and Proac D2. I was wondering, Macspur, what you chose in the end?

Also, I see you have a Sugden A21 and a Rega Saturn. I was wondering how those pair up with your new speakers? I have the Saturn and was thinking of either the Sugden A21SE, the ATC SIA2-150 or Musical Fidelity M6i as an amp to go with either of the speakers above and the Saturn. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'd be better off with the ATC amplification for the SCM19's. These work extremely well together, and having used the Saturn as a source in that exact system, I can confirm that it all gels well. The Saturn just takes that slight edge off the treble.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

The A21 is a powerful little sucker ...

... (which again, isn't up to the spec of ATC's big boys). ...

I feel a theme running through this ...

A

Anonymous

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Actually, I was more interested in partnering the Saturn with the Proac D2s. I heard them earlier in the year through a friend and enjoyed them very much. I was wondering if the SIA2-150 would be a good match for them (edit: along with the Rega Saturn)?

Thank you!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
sheffra:

Hi,

Sorry to bring back an old thread (and I think this is my first post - so maybe not a good way to start?). However, I've been having a very similar dilemma - narrowed my speaker choices to Totem 1 Signature, ATC SCM19 and Proac D2. I was wondering, Macspur, what you chose in the end?

Also, I see you have a Sugden A21 and a Rega Saturn. I was wondering how those pair up with your new speakers? I have the Saturn and was thinking of either the Sugden A21SE, the ATC SIA2-150 or Musical Fidelity M6i as an amp to go with either of the speakers above and the Saturn. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi Sheffra,

After demoing numerous stand mount speakers, all of which were either too bright or too boomy, not necessarily because they were poor, but my listening room's acoustics aren't the easiest to acommodate, I settled on a pair of ProAc Studio 130's. They work very well with the Sugden and Saturn, giving a warm, but detailed sound with awide sound stage.

I demoed the Totem's you mentioned in store and liked them so had a home demo, but found these my least favourite. I tried the ATC SCM11 in store, but couldn't home demo... shame because I really liked them. If you decide on the ATC amp and speakers, I don't think you'd be disappointed, it's all quality gear. As ever, if poss, try before you buy.

As you can see below, I don't have the Saturn anymore, not because it's not a fine player, but me being the impatient kind, I couldn't put up with how long it took to read each disc before playing and it wouldn't read some of my albums.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130's

sheffra:
Hi,

Thank you!

Hi sheffra

I hope you will not mind me responding to your post.

All six components are impressive. From the speakers i would recommend the SCM19's followed by the Model-1 Signature and D2's. The SCM19's are superb monitors and most of their excellent performance is down to ATC's massively engineered state of the art SLMT mid bass drive unit. The same SLMT mid/bass drive unit is also used in SCM20 professional monitors which are used in some of the finest studios in the world. If possible have a look at this drive unit in the flesh away from the 19's cabinet. It really is an eye opener. The SCM19's are imo probably the finest bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

As for the three integrated amps you've listed i would recommend (regardless of the speakers) SIA2-150 MK2 followed by M6i and A21. ATC design and manufacture some of the finest and most sophisticated drive units in the business and are fully aware for eg.of the high current and damping factor to keep their monitors in check. The SIA2-150 MK2 has the performance to match its quality of power.

As for pre/power amplifiers i would add Naim's superb NAC 202/NAP 200 and ATC CA2/P1 to the list.

If you are happy to look at used equipment then integrated amplifiers to also consider are Krell's KAV-400xi and Marantz PM-94.

Btw, the Rega Saturn cd player should happily get on with any amp and speaker configuration.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sheffra:
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Actually, I was more interested in partnering the Saturn with the Proac D2s. I heard them earlier in the year through a friend and enjoyed them very much. I was wondering if the SIA2-150 would be a good match for them (edit: along with the Rega Saturn)?

Thank you!

Hi sheffra

Not only has the SIA2-150 MK2 the transparency to easily accmodate the Rega Saturn but the amp also the quality of power energise the D2's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks Macspur, I appreciate the reply and will give the Studio 130s a listen if I can. Actually, I was thinking of auditioning the Studio 100, which may share some of the characteristics? I was entranced by the D2s earlier in the year and they were partnered with a Musical Fidelity 1008 cd/amp combo (which, I understand the M6 line replaces). What I liked about them was that they not only sounded great but did so in a small, tight living room near the back wall and sidewalls. I couldn't believe the sound and imaging under the conditions. But of course, I would have to try them out in my own small/medium living room with its own challenges. I will let you know what I end up deciding on!

Rick, I don't mind your response at all - I appreciate your help! I've been curious about the SCM 19s for some time now, but have not had a chance to have a listen. I do appreciate good engineering and given their professional monitor pedigree, I would welcome a listen (I'm near Stockport). Thanks for the Naim pre/power recommendation, I actually heard one once (with a Rega cd player), but it was playing in the next room so didn't hear it up front. It did sound good through the doorway though! I think I'm gravitating more and more towards the SIA2-150. It just seems to be more and more of what I'm looking for the more I learn about it. I'm going to have to find a way to listen to these combos!

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it very much!

A

Anonymous

Trust me, try the proac resonse d1's or 2's. The 2's were to big for my room but sound fantastics as do their baby brothers.

sheffra:
Hi,

Thanks Macspur, I appreciate the reply and will give the Studio 130s a listen if I can. Actually, I was thinking of auditioning the Studio 100, which may share some of the characteristics? I was entranced by the D2s earlier in the year and they were partnered with a Musical Fidelity 1008 cd/amp combo (which, I understand the M6 line replaces). What I liked about them was that they not only sounded great but did so in a small, tight living room near the back wall and sidewalls. I couldn't believe the sound and imaging under the conditions. But of course, I would have to try them out in my own small/medium living room with its own challenges. I will let you know what I end up deciding on!

Rick, I don't mind your response at all - I appreciate your help! I've been curious about the SCM 19s for some time now, but have not had a chance to have a listen. I do appreciate good engineering and given their professional monitor pedigree, I would welcome a listen (I'm near Stockport). Thanks for the Naim pre/power recommendation, I actually heard one once (with a Rega cd player), but it was playing in the next room so didn't hear it up front. It did sound good through the doorway though! I think I'm gravitating more and more towards the SIA2-150. It just seems to be more and more of what I'm looking for the more I learn about it. I'm going to have to find a way to listen to these combos!

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it very much!

Hi sheffra

Your welcome.

I have quite a number of ATC clients in the Manchester/Stockport and surrounding areas. Last week i had a client visit from Chester for CA2/P1 and this week i've got a client visting from Manchester for SCM100 Professional monitors.

ATC's engineering is indeed superb. Amongst the many things i have learnt over the years is ATC design and build some of the finest monitors available. They've kept to their aim of building monitors and amplifiers which employ the most effective of modern engineering principles. They don't respond to competition, instead they respond to advances in technology which enables them to improve their products. Their goal is to produce monitors which are near perfection in performance as possible by having the lowest possible distortion. They tackle distortion by building their own massive, precise and technologically advanced state of the art drive units.

In Derbyshire we have big engineering firms such as Rolls Royce, Toyota etc. Most of my clients from these firms with Engineering or similar backgrounds choose ATC. I've also noticed the same from my other clients in many other parts of the country. Ime Engineers will generally opt for ATC products. Engineers appreciate Old School Engineers!
emotion-2.gif

NAC202/NAP 200 and the SIA2-150 MK2 are both superb and will serve you well.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:FrankHarveyHiFi:

The A21 is a powerful little sucker ...

... (which again, isn't up to the spec of ATC's big boys). ...

I feel a theme running through this ...
Not sure what you're getting at here. One comment was about an amplifier, one was about a pair of speakers....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts