Speaker cover

A

Anonymous

Nearly always on but if im excited about a new cd i may well remove them for that session.

Im also of the opinion that my speakers look a darn site meaner with the covers off so i may well remove them if im showing the system to somebody.

Does it improve the sound. Hmmm im not sure. Probably not but just looking at the drivers makes for a better experience IMO :) .

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Without - my speakers ain't got no grills. My previous speakers were Celestion SL6's which sounded better without their grills but had slotted covers over the tweeters as part of their design.

T

the record spot

Without, mostly as the Tannoys look rather attractive without them than they do with.
small-logo.png

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
My current speakers don't have covers, but in general, I leave the covers off, or did until the children came along.

Anything put between you and the speakers will effect the sound, no matter how slight, so if the speakers are safe from sticky fingers, best leave the grills off.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think there was a thread a few weeks ago that covered this subject. Apparently some speakers are sonically designed to have the covers left on, and some to have them removed for music listening. I guess therefore it really depends on what you have.

I personally leave mine on because I can't hear any difference and I think they look a bit silly with them off. Silver on piano black is a bit bling for my tastes.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Grills definitely off, I have no idea if they sound better than when they're on, I just prefer the look. I have no little fingers threatening to attack them when my back is turned, so they're quite safe, plus as they're real wood veneer they'll fade evenly. My previous speakers, epos ES11s, didn't have grills at all!!

A

Anonymous

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was pointed to a previous thread (links below in case it helps you to see these opinions also).

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/should-speaker-covers-be-left-on-or-off?page=1#comment-2711879

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/better-sound-with-speaker-covers-off

Having considered those comments and thinking there was a slight improvement in clarity with the covers off I had taken mine off. I then happened to read the Rega manual for my speakers in which they recommend keeping them on just to prevent damage and dust build up on the tweeter. So I put them back on.

Yesterday while in a good quality Hi-Fi outlet I asked their opinion and they said they personally always keep theirs off unless worried about damage from children or cats, or you are having a particularly dusty environment such as work being done in the house, or unless the speaker manufacturer had specifically designed the speakers to have the covers left on.

So, they are off and staying off I think.

A

Anonymous

when my daughter was little she destroyed my entire B&W 603 s3 5.1 set-up.. so my grills were on untill she got older, i can now have my grills off as she now knows if she touches them it will be her going on e-bay and NOT THE SPEAKERS..

There is a slight improvement with the grills off in my set up, with the vocals sounding clearer and a better sound dispersion.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I've heard some speakers sound different with the grills off but I have never heard the difference through any of the speakers I've owned in the past. I do leave them off while listening if there is no one around, they just look so pretty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts