Speaker Configuration

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. Newee question!

I've just bought a pair of Dali piano noble speakers to replace my blown speakers.

They're going to be used with my ancient but much loved JVC RS33 receiver (30 years old I know but bought with my first saturday job money and can't bear to get rid) so the Dalis are my first venture into the hifi world for three decades!

I believe the speakers are 4 ohm and on the back of my receiver it sais the following by the speaker connections:

'1 + 2 (8-16 ohm)' '1 or 2 (4-16 ohm)' and the speaker connections on the reciever look like this:

1 - red black black red connections

2 - red black black red connections.

I assume from all the above that I simply connect them to EITHER the top row of connections labelled '1' OR the second row entitled '2' but wanted to be absolutely sure as I can't afford to blow the Dalis!

PS. The Dalis are rated at 160W RMS. I think the JVC RS33 is rated at 2 x 42w / 8ohm 2 x 55w in 4 Ohm.

So second question is if this is a reasonable match or if I really do now have to bite the bullet and purchase a new amp and if so what would be recommended as a good match? Please someone say 'no your RS33 is still the greatest amp ever made'.

Thanks

John

airconace

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that you would blow the speakers on either connection, but I would try the 1 or 2 (4-16 ohm) option.

The Dali speakers are very efficient at 89.5 db sensitivity so you should have no problems getting sufficient volume from your JVC RS33 receiver.

The best judge of the sound is your ears, if you let us know your budget then I'm sure you will soon get more opinions here!

Cheers,

Harry.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
12776 said:
I assume from all the above that I simply connect them to EITHER the top row of connections labelled '1' OR the second row entitled '2'

that's correct. that's the safest solution.

12776 said:
The Dalis are rated at 160W RMS. I think the JVC RS33 is rated at 2 x 42w / 8ohm 2 x 55w in 4 Ohm.

So second question is if this is a reasonable match or if I really do now have to bite the bullet and purchase a new amp

your amp is absolutly fine. what this number on Dalis mean is that it's safest to connect a power amp of up to 160W RMS into the speakers. if you connected a more powerful amp and cranked up the volume you might be risking damaging the speakers.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The speaker info on the receiver applies to using two pairs of speakers.

If you want to wire two pairs into the amp, each pair must be at least 8ohms (2 pairs = 4ohm load), to avoid drawing too much current and overheating the amplifier. (2 pairs of 4ohm speakers would give 2ohms, and draw twice the current- not good).

With a single pair of speakers, they can be wired into either set of terminals with no worries!

A

Anonymous

Thank you all

That's great news. Good to know that I won't be able to bungle it provided I stick with a single pair of speakers and even better to know the RS33 can live on happily into it's fourth decade.

I'll start another thread now on my next venture to connect my ipod to the everlasting RS33 if I can't find a similar existing thread.

PS. Not sure if the threads are left open ad infinitum or if I'm supposed to close this thread down somehow. Please let me know how if it's the later.

Thanks to all for the advice.

John

smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Douglas.

It's been 30 years since I did my physics degree and I forgot the obvious that two 4 ohm routes will equal a 2 ohm route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts