Speaker cables question.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Well it has been fast but I'll go for a B&W 685 theatre package. The guy at the shop is proposing me Monster THX cables, I'm wondering now if they are good. And few other question :

Are the cables very important for bookshelf speakers ?

Are they more important if used for quite long run ? ie:15m.

What is the real change if double lined ? Do double linked will help less good cables ? Is it more important for long runs ?

To finish I'm also wondering the need of banana plug, is it changing the quality of the sound ?

thanks for all your help !

-david

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Monster speaker cable is a perfectly reasonable budget speaker cable, but you'd probably do better with something like QED Silver Anniversary or Chord Carnival Silverscreen.

In my opinion it's worth biwiring the front left and right speakers, and the centre speaker - it should give you better definition and focus. You could save money by only single-wiring the rear speakers.

No, you don't need banana plugs, and they shouldn't affect the sound quality, but properly fitted banana plugs will prevent the ends of the cables oxidising over time. The alternative is to buy the cables slightly too long, and trim the ends back to expose fresh metal conductor every year or so.

A

Anonymous

Great Thanks for your reply.

And then, is it better for me to bi-wire with less good cable like the monsters (could get a price on them as bought with the package) or single wiring with better cable ?

the amp I'm getting is a yamaha dsp ax863, is the amp good enough to do better result with bi wiring ?

I'll forget the idea of banana plugs, thanks
emotion-21.gif

-david

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend single wiring (mono-wiring?) with the better quality cable now, then buy the extra lengths you need for bi-wiring later on, when you can afford it.

A

Anonymous

...And yes, the amp and the speakers are plenty good enough to realise the benefits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts