Speaker cables for surround speakers

scene

OK, so my new living room is a tad larger than my old one - 6.3m x 6.2m as opposed to 3.6m x 3.3m (!) and I need some new speaker cables for my surround speakers. My front three are OK - I'm using QED Silver Anniversary, and I've got a enough of that. I'm going to need a lot of cable for surround speakers - I'm guessing 10-12m (need to finalise route) per speaker - and I need to be able to hide the cable.

Now, if I get QED Silver Anniversary for the rears it's going to be pretty tricky to hide, I might even need to route it in, and this will add the the nigh on £120-£140 cost

Alternatively, I could get QED Qontour ultra flat, which will be very easy to hide, but will that match with my existing cable?

Or should I compromise and get the QED micro, OFC copper with a silver coating, which should match up better with my front cables, and is reasonably easy run to the rears.

I'm ignoring the costs of plugs, as their pretty constant, and my surround sound system is currently a KHT2005.2, but I may well be upping this to a Monitor Audio RS or RX-based one in the future, and don't want to relay any cables.

Any thoughts on all of this greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I found some pretty handy 'micro trunking' on ebay to hide my rear speaker cable. It was £2.50 per metre (free P&P) and comes with the adhesive strips. Easy to put up and on white skirting you can hardly see it. It would easily house the QED Silver Anniversary, I used the micro for my rears but there was plenty of room for a larger speaker cable. If you aren't sure it would be suitable then why not just order a 1 metre length and see what you think?

A

Anonymous

Got trunking self adhesive in cardiff at a lighting and electric shop and they charged 2.00 per 3 meters, could not belive it.

Looks ok to, and you can paint over them as well

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'd have thought the QED micro would be fine for your rears? I've got some and it'll sit in the top of the dado rail when I get round to moving everything into the other room.

It is a b**** to strip though, that covering is weird, I found it really difficult to strip the ends without taking a load of strands with it.

A

Anonymous

scene:

Thanks Daveee and Canada.

Is the stuff you are using the 16mm x 8mm D-line style self-adhesive micro trunking?

Yes
emotion-1.gif

scene

the_lhc:I'd have thought the QED micro would be fine for your rears? I've got some and it'll sit in the top of the dado rail when I get round to moving everything into the other room.

It is a b**** to strip though, that covering is weird, I found it really difficult to strip the ends without taking a load of strands with it.

Do you use QED for the fronts as well?

I think it's a QED thing the difficulty in stripping it - that clear plastic cable on the Silver Anniversary is a s*d to get off, always lose some strands and usually end up poking holes in my fingers!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene:
the_lhc:I'd have thought the QED micro would be fine for your rears? I've got some and it'll sit in the top of the dado rail when I get round to moving everything into the other room.

At the moment I'm only using it on my roths from the zp120, but no I won't be using it on the fronts I've got them bi-wired and I didn't buy enough to do the lot.

I think it's a QED thing the difficulty in stripping it - that clear plastic cable on the Silver Anniversary is a s*d to get off, always lose some strands and usually end up poking holes in my fingers!

Yeah it's something I'll bear on mind in the future.

A

Anonymous

scene:

the_lhc:I'd have thought the QED micro would be fine for your rears? I've got some and it'll sit in the top of the dado rail when I get round to moving everything into the other room. It is a b**** to strip though, that covering is weird, I found it really difficult to strip the ends without taking a load of strands with it.

Pick up a pair of proper wire strippers for a few quid. Pop the cable in the 6mm hole and it strips the Silver Anniversary cables perfectly.

scene

Daveee:scene:

the_lhc:I'd have thought the QED micro would be fine for your rears? I've got some and it'll sit in the top of the dado rail when I get round to moving everything into the other room. It is a b**** to strip though, that covering is weird, I found it really difficult to strip the ends without taking a load of strands with it.

Pick up a pair of proper wire strippers for a few quid. Pop the cable in the 6mm hole and it strips the Silver Anniversary cables perfectly.

Funnily enough I have a pair of wire strippers just like that - well actually my other half does, but they have the green handles - but they are the same model. I must admit although it makes the job easier, I still struggle stripping the ends. Must just be me
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts