Speaker cable

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I keep hearing differing thoughts on this subject.

I'm going for a NAD D3020 amp and some Q Acoustics 3050...so not a bad set up.

I'm told that when you're going for above average sound (which my equipment choices show), it's important to buy a cable to match.

I have NO idea what I'm looking for and how much I need to spend. You can splash out up to £1000 on a cable and I'm not sure I'm convinced it makes much difference.

However, I'd appreciate some advice on how to get the most from my kit.

My room is small so I'll need 2 x 2m cables max. Thoughts?

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's three you might consider:

- Atlas Hyper 2
- Telurium Q Blue
- Linn K20 (EBay)

If you can find a dealer that will lend you some....then see if paying more is worth it.

abacus

Standard 2.5 mm sq. OFC copper is all you need, which can be picked up from Maplin’s, B & Q or any electrical retailer.

If you want a brand, try Van damme, as this is used in Pro recording studios (The ones that make the music you listen to) so is a safe bet.

Avoid anything from Hi Fi cable manufactures, as they just rip you off with gobbledygook that makes no difference to the sound, except in the buyer’s imagination.

Hope this helps

Bill

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all.

Bill - Van Damme keep coming up as recommended.

I chanced upon these - are they the right ones and this a good deal? (Don't want to overpay if I can help it!)

Cheers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Van-Damme-LC-OFC-2x4mm-Hi-Fi-Speaker-Cables-2x2m-Terminated-/122029304940?hash=item1c69836c6c:g:C~UAAOSwRQlXclf8

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Example - is there a difference between the ones mentioned above and the 'up'-lcofc range? Or is this the same thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-2-x-6mm-UP-LCOFC-Hi-Fi-Speaker-Cables-2x-3m-lengths-/231986723225?hash=item36037c7999:g:cvYAAOSwZ8ZXAKOu

Thanks again!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
robder said:
Example - is there a difference between the ones mentioned above and the 'up'-lcofc range? Or is this the same thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-2-x-6mm-UP-LCOFC-Hi-Fi-Speaker-Cable...

Thanks again!

I use the UP-LCOFC 2x4mm cables. They are meant for domestic use (rather than being marketed as a pro/studio cable) but I doubt it makes any difference TBH.

Go for the one you like the look of if you can't decide otherwise.

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Great - UP-LCOFC it is!

It also just occurred to me that I'm going to need to connect the turntable to the amp - are these leads just as important?

If so, it's worth mentioning that I'll be using a NAD D3020 amp with a Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono (moving magnet) pre-amp. There must be loads of ways to connect this. Any idea on best ones and will I need fancy cable recommendations here again?

Thanks!

abacus

robder said:
Great - UP-LCOFC it is!

It also just occurred to me that I'm going to need to connect the turntable to the amp - are these leads just as important?

If so, it's worth mentioning that I'll be using a NAD D3020 amp with a Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono (moving magnet) pre-amp. There must be loads of ways to connect this. Any idea on best ones and will I need fancy cable recommendations here again?

Thanks!

Just make sure they are of decent quality, (Again avoid Hi-Fi cable manufactures) or pop down to your local pro music store (Or online shop), as that way you will have the same as pro studios use.

Hope this helps

Bill

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5m-RCA-Phono-Hi-fi-Interconnect-Van-Damme-UP-LCOFC-Cable-Pair-Locking-RCA-/272254987890?hash=item3f63a96e72:g:qfAAAOSwn8FXRuqG

Are these ok? Does price look good and is this the correct model before I buy?

abacus

These are certainly of top quality, (Easily putting Hi-Fi cable manufactures hi-end products to shame) so will serve you well, however don’t buy leads that are longer than you need, (Or just a little bit longer than you need) as this will keep the cost down and look a lot neater once connected.

Hope this helps

Bill

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
abacus said:
Easily putting Hi-Fi cable manufactures hi-end products to shame

Which hi-end cables have you heard?

Cables don't make any noise.
Ah, but I'm talking about hearing the effect expensive cables may, or may not have.

You need to measure them for losses using sensitive electronic equipment. The cable that loses the least amount of signal will also sound the best.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello Robder,

I heard/read the same as you as I started with the hifi hobby back then. Unfortunately, I came from the studio and professionnal musician world, and where puzzled by those statements. So I tried out, and didn't heard those "subtle differences". But I must agree that I always used a serious methodology to test those things out. In "simply making things and listening", I had differences, but they where caused by the lack of metodology in my testings (no matched volume, no blind testings, ect). A good cable, made of quality copper with a little plastic insulation around works great. Especially for speaker cables. In the studio world, we often use Cordal, Gotham, VandDamne or chinese noname cables ; they all work well.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
abacus said:
Easily putting Hi-Fi cable manufactures hi-end products to shame

Which hi-end cables have you heard?

Cables don't make any noise.
Ah, but I'm talking about hearing the effect expensive cables may, or may not have.

Cno dont waste your time with these..

They'll flock together towards you..dont feed them!

dimucci

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
When it comes to cables/interconnects, a hi fi fool and his/her money are soon parted. But, they will never admit it: "The Emperor's Suit Of Clothes" syndrome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts