Speaker Cable Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I have the following components :

MF A3.2 CD,Pre/Power Amp + ProAc Studio 140 Floor standers, I have bi-wired them with QED Silver Anniversary, I want to upgrade
the speaker cable, what do you guys suggest ?

I have heard some good things about the Carnival speaker cable - would this cable suit the above system ? 

I can spend up to £15 per metre

Many thanks in advance for any advice

A

Anonymous

Chord Carnival is less than £6.00 per metre. I would go up to your budget personally. Atlas Hyper 2.0 works for me and I've got the 3.5 MF integrated amp.

Worth a demo if you can and look out for bargains on eBay.......

A

Anonymous

Not much info, what is it that you don't like about your current sound, and what specific improvements do you want to make?

A

Anonymous

Before you spend a boatload of cash, can I suggest trying Mark Grant cables and getting some Belden cable at £2/metre? Big thick copper cores do the job well, and these work very well for me, connecting my Cyrus 8vs2 amp and Proac Studio 110 speakers. And yes, I have tried it against far more expensive options as well - regretting it on the occasions I experimented with more expensive cable. For interconnects, I use Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 - again, for me a better sound than cables at at least twice the price I have paid previously. When I bought, 0.5m came in at £20 ish, plus delivery from the US.

FWIW I single wire - IMHO gives a more natural sound than bi-wiring. My experience of bi-wiring is that an airiness permeates the recording - but is the same for any recording, so appears to be artificially induced rather than a property of the music. I'm not an engineer, but I believe it's something to do with varying the resistance at the different terminals on your speakers????? Rather than having one value????

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your responses

I want a clearer sound just wondering what the improvement would be to upgrade the cable either to Carnival, Rumour or Odyssey

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Go for the QED revelation, you will not be disapointed at all...

QED gives open sound, but this cable does not sound lean like the SA XT.

It is just a pain sticking banana plugs on it if you do it yourself!

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Chord Odyssey second hand on ebay would fall well inside your budget of £15 a metre, you may even be able to stretch to Epic in the current climate (second hand hi-fi prices are much lower than 6 months ago) which has a meatier sound than the Odyssey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts