2x Meridian 555 power amps
Meridian A500 loudspeakers
ortofon spk 5000 speaker cable.
Kimber crystal ag interconnects between cd and preamp
chord cobras connecting pre-power combo
Kimber mains cables throughout and purifier block

I'm serioulsy thinking of doing three things:

1/upgrading the speaker cable to kimber crystal-24,
2/selling one of the power amps to do this, and single-wiring my system.
3/upgrading the loudspeakers

My question/s are: what speakers would you suggest, given the original cost of the speakers was around £850 or so, so £1000+ would be a fair crack, but if you guys can suggest anything cheaper, Hooray!:)

would the single-wire route be a good option?

Would the kimber cable be too optimistic for my system? or would it be a worthwhile upgrade>?

any help /advice would be appreciated

clive

John Duncan

Probably because this is pretty rarefied territory and very few people *could* comment - my speaker cable cost 30 quid off eBay!

emotion-2.gif

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
What is it about your current setup that you don't like?

If you're changing your cables because you don't like the sound of your system then I'd say you'd be better off changing the system. I'd never sell an amp to fund a cable purchase. Cables are just the icing on the cake. Get the cake right first...

YMMV of course. Just my opinion..

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Indeed. The idea of selling an amp, downgrading to single run of wire from (i assume) a biamped setup, in order to get more expensive wire which may or may not add 0.01 % of performance (in single amp mode), but would almost certainly result in a worse sound...is a little odd to me, or am I missing something?

A

Anonymous

The speakersi think, are the weaklink, along with the cables. I'm in a 26x9 living room and i just feel that they dont deliver , compare to a 9x12 bedroom which is what they were originally in.So, if I were to stay dowm the biamp patch, what speakers/cables wyould you suggest? As far as i can see, the cake is sorted LOL:)I hardly use the cdplayer much now btw, just the tv/dvd routed thru the speakers.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
clivej:The speakersi think, are the weaklink, along with the cables. I'm in a 26x9 living room and i just feel that they dont deliver , compare to a 9x12 bedroom which is what they were originally in.So, if I were to stay dowm the biamp patch, what speakers/cables wyould you suggest? As far as i can see, the cake is sorted LOL:)I hardly use the cdplayer much now btw, just the tv/dvd routed thru the speakers.

I absolutely dont want to appear rude. But you mainly use DVD or TV, and you think the cables will make any difference whatsoever (considering you already have decent cables)? Its unlikely.

Whats your budget?
What exactly are you after?
...What exactly are you listening to?, or is it just DVDs and TV?
In that case sell the lot and get a decent AV amp maybe?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Classic Meridian set up :)

Speakers? PMC FB1+ should work well (now is time to buy them as EX-demo start to flood dealers) btw I heard Meridain G06 cd player and thought it was a truly exceptional machine, again plenty of ex demo about

A

Anonymous

I love Kimber cables and also use them - have just ordered my upgraded speaker cable from 8TC to Crystal-24 ..... any reason why you feel you need to spend that much on speaker cable at this stage?? Crystal 24 may be over-egging things for what you have ...

Depending how long you've had your other interconnects - can you upgrade these via RA - instead or as well - with a slightly cheaper spkr cable ?

Just an idea.

Or is it that you want the benefit of the 'decent single run' of speaker cable and use jumper leads as RA suggest?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BigAir:
I love Kimber cables and also use them - have just ordered my upgraded speaker cable from 8TC to Crystal-24 ..... any reason why you feel you need to spend that much on speaker cable at this stage?? Crystal 24 may be over-egging things for what you have ...

Depending how long you've had your other interconnects - can you upgrade these via RA - instead or as well - with a slightly cheaper spkr cable ?

Just an idea.

Or is it that you want the benefit of the 'decent single run' of speaker cable and use jumper leads as RA suggest?

People, read what Frog has said. The OP would be mad to spend any extra on his system if he's only using it to watch tv and dvds.

TRENDING THREADS