Speaker Cable Question (Very new to Hi-FI, sorry if this is obvious)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fujee said:
Thanks, so for my Concept 20's I would want Banana at the amp end and spade at the speaker end?

Sorry to butt in, but banana plugs are used just for ease of connection, you can strip the ends of the cable, and fit directly onto the speakers posts very simply, and the sound quality will be exactly the same.

If you look at the picture below, the stripped end of the cable goes into the hole, then it is just tightened up on the thread to create a secure connection.

binding-post3.jpg

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that, good advice. Is there a video showing me how to do this (really sorry for being so clueless). I will most likely use unterminated cable in the future but for now I want it to be done for me. I have the money spare to do so, this probably seems a bit stupid but I want them terminated for the meantime because I am moving house very soon, but want to test my equipment when it arrives and just want peace of mind for the while.

I am confused as to how spade plugs would fit the speaker terminals, they look like the would not fit?

Again sorry for my rookie hi fi knowledge.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fujee said:
I am confused as to how spade plugs would fit the speaker terminals, they look like the would not fit?

To connect the stripped back wire, you untighten the threaded part of the binding post until the hole is visible, put the cable in the hole and tighten.

To connect with the spade plugs, you would untighten the threaded part of the binding post, place the spade onto the metal of the post, then tighten.

Both connections would give you equal sound quality, and both would take near enough the same time to do.

If you want my honest opinion. I would get banana plugs fitted to the end that goes in the back of the amp, and I would leave the other end unterminated, and fit as outlined above using the stripped back wire method.

To disconnect the cable from the back of the speaker would take a minute at the most.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
What size spade connectors would I need, or are they standard?

That said, the direct route looks super easy, if a little untidy.

Thanks for your advice and patience, this is clearly simple stuff and I am just a clueless fool! haha.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Fujee said:
Thanks for that, good advice. Is there a video showing me how to do this (really sorry for being so clueless). I will most likely use unterminated cable in the future but for now I want it to be done for me. I have the money spare to do so, this probably seems a bit stupid but I want them terminated for the meantime because I am moving house very soon, but want to test my equipment when it arrives and just want peace of mind for the while.

Again sorry for my rookie hi fi knowledge.

If you are moving house VERY soon I would not pay 35 quid for 2m's of cable as you may have to replace it in your new house , 2 meters / 6 feet is not alot when you think you have to drop down from the amp , route it and then back upto the speakers . You don't know how you're going to set it up in your new house yet , you may want the amp over to one side etc

James

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Good point. Still though, just out of curiosity, would banana on the amp end and spade on the speaker end suffice?

Are spade plugs standard size? Futureshop only sell one type it appears.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I've recieved my amp and speakers now, reading through the manual it recommends using unterminated cable and to bi-wire. So banana clips at the amp end and unterminated at the speaker end would be best?

Binman would you recommend going the terminated route, seeing as you own the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts