Speaker cable for my new setup (KEF300s paired with PM6004)

ea25

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just bought a beginner audiophile system and I have no idea what cable shall I use to connect the KEFs with the PM6004. Please let me know of any good speaker cable (not stunningly expensive) which will complete my setup.

Thanks

ea25 said:
Hi guys,

I just bought a beginner audiophile system and I have no idea what cable shall I use to connect the KEFs with the PM6004. Please let me know of any good speaker cable (not stunningly expensive) which will complete my setup.

Thanks

Hi ea25

I'll recommend using standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables as i feel these will be good enough for the PM6004 & Q300's. You should also be able to find these speaker cables at local electrical stores for little money.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ea25

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you folks. I guess I needn't worry much about the cables then. I will look into buying the specific brands you suggested or something with similar specs :grin:

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a cheap copper cable with a big enough guage to carry the signal like QED 79 is absolutely fine. Personally I use old Gale xl315 that I picked up very cheaply on ebay (take advantage of other people's 'upgrades'!).

More important in many ways is the connectors at each end. Bare wire is fine, but you will need to check once a year or so for the copper becoming oxydised (which will weaken the connection) and be prepared to cut back to clean cable. Alternatively get some reasonable quality bananas or spades (ideally copper based - watch out for the cheap fake Chinese made 'Nakamichi' plugs that flood ebay and that are often cheap plated iron) and use some heat shrink to seal them.

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd also add a vote for Van Damme cables. I have the Studio Grade Blue 2.5mm and it sounds great.

Dead easy to order online as well; I got mine from audiovisualonline.co.uk

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd also add a vote for Van Damme cables. I have the Studio Grade Blue 2.5mm and it sounds great.

Dead easy to order online as well; I got mine from audiovisualonline.co.uk

ea25

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I'm bought with the Van Damme Studio (found it on amazon at a really good price). Now for a shameful :oops: noob question; I need 6m of cable in all. Would it make a difference in audio quality if I order a 6m cable and splice it (2x3m) or is it better if I order straight away 2 seperate pieces of 3m cable.

TRENDING THREADS