Speaker cable advice?

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Please advise some suitable speaker cables to match my system.

Your comments will be welcomed so thanks in advance.

System Rotel RCD971CD, Nad Preamp 1155, 2 x Nad 2200PE mono blocs, AE Aelite 2s. Gale Linea 4.2 speaker cable bi wired.

A

Anonymous

Hi Pike, hope you don't think everyone is ignoring you. To bump your post (rather than add another) just reply to get it to the top of the list.

The cable debate (do they make a difference or not) has raged here many times so people tend to avoid the 'c' word.

However, I would suggest trying some 5 star award winners (see the reviews) but let your ears decide rather than what you read.

Personally, I have found Atlas to be good for me but some of their products get poor ratings here........

I wouldn't spend a fortune of cables with your current kit - maybe £7.50 a metre.

Prepare to see me flamed.......

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Look on ebay, for van Damme 4mm, or Gotham 4mm.

I run Van Damme 4mm between my Lyngdorf amp and Dali Ikon 6 speakers, and have yet to be convinced to change...
Its £3 a metre.

(And yes, I have auditioned a number of cables up to £15/m, including the QED silver anniversary XT (which is initially pleasing until you suddenly realise your bass has disappeared (IMO))

...just to add, I am currently trying to get hold of some even more expensive cable, as I have yet to be convinced that substantial improvements can be made on sheer low impedance...In fact that might be another thread....hmmm.

Just to add... Some dealers will lend you a demo pair of leads... which is how I have tested the ones I have...

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Oh and by the way, just been looking at ebay and have found this cable: OEHLBACH KABEL T.M/Germany 2x2.5mm2 Type 1008.

Does anyone have any knolwedge of budget Oehlbach cables?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

New one on me I'm afraid - so if you haven't heard of it - I'd be unsure about trying it and stick to known/tested brands instead.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:New one on me I'm afraid - so if you haven't heard of it - I'd be unsure about trying it and stick to known/tested brands instead.

I disagree. Looking around on ebay is a great way of getting vfm. Look actual user reviews rather than just magazine tests. You can guarantee, the big boys with their full page spreads are taking a lot bigger margin...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Pike900fish:
Oh and by the way, just been looking at ebay and have found this cable: OEHLBACH KABEL T.M/Germany 2x2.5mm2 Type 1008.

Cheers

Oehlbach is a huge German cable company. We've reviewed a range of its products (see here), but haven't been overly impressed - big brand or not, you've still got to get it right....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Pike900fish:

Cheers

Oehlbach is a huge German cable company. We've reviewed a range of its products (see here), but haven't been overly impressed - big brand or not, you've still got to get it right....

2.5 mm isn't really adequate. Go for 4 or even 6mm if you can. There's plenty on Ebay.

I still like Orpheus though.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Try a blind listening test. You'll be amazed how little difference there is between cables.

A

Anonymous

Your speaker cable should match your amp...not your speakers.

Call a NAD dealer and ask for their opinion...then listen to a few of them.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

brock_boogie:
Your speaker cable should match your amp...not your speakers.

Sorry but that is nonsense.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well not according to naim it's not but i find their reasoning a little bit one dimensional as other's who use naim have used different cables but gotham do a good job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts