Speaker and amp package for rock for £1600 max

I-D-B

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I tried Denon AVRX2200W with some monitor audio bronze B5 speakers all sounded nice with EDM and Pop but pretty dreadful with Rock (The vaccines, U2 etc)

any suggestions on a pair of speakers with AMP (Bluetooth and WiFi included in the amp) for my budget of £1600?

thank you

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Have a look at AVI DM10 active speakers. Do some reading on the forum

An Airport Express can be connected easily and a Bluetooth adapter can be bought easily for not much more than £20

I-D-B

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm really looking for floor standers connected to an amp that has Bluetooth and wifi built in.

must deal with lots of instruments at once! I.e. Handle rock nicely!

thanks!

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Richardw42,

How about the NAD D7050 partnered with B & W 684 S2's or Q Acoustics 3050's

Should fit the bill and sound good....

Time to audtion a few combinations...

Thanks

The_Master66

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think the Nads a good call. Can't say I'm a huge B & W fan, but you might like them. The QAs too.

I wouldn't necessarily discount stand mounts. You might expect a better speaker for £1k over a floorstander.

I-D-B

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I guess an afternoon in the local HiFi shop is called for. Problem is I've never heard a combo good for rock around this price

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I-D-B said:
I guess an afternoon in the local HiFi shop is called for. Problem is I've never heard a combo good for rock around this price

thats why I recommended the AVIs (they are standmounts). I'm an AVI user (ADM40) and listen to a lot of rock/metal including industrial etc.

jjbomber

I-D-B said:

Cyrus 8a amp for £675 at Creative Audio, Half price.

Tannoy Precision 6.2LE for £899 reduced from £1499 at Creative Audio.

Those will rock.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Considering the rather general nature of the opening question, I think you are simply going to get people recommending their favourite components, which you may or may not like.

Before spending anything like real money I would want to be quite certain that the recordings causing you trouble can actually be made to sound as you want them to sound. There really is no (practical) way to uncompress over compressed recordings and if their is no separation between instruments on the recording, not even the best system is going to sort them out.

Whilst there are some good rock recordings, I often find that most are poor in the areas you mention, separation, dynamic range etc. I deal with this issue differently, since I can not change these limitations I focus on the positive changes I can make. With this kind of material I focus on improving the presence and punch to enhance the 'live rock band' feel and get my enjoyment from this.

I would look at medium sized standmount speakers such as the Adam A7x or perhaps the A8x model if you have a big space. The A7x has a big, punchy sound and sound very 'live', they have a great transient response so sound 'dynamic', maybe this will help with your issues. They cost around £800 if you shop around.

Being active you can drive them off a streamer/pre-amp or a dac/pre-amp depending on what you actually need. For example a Cambridge Stream Magic (if you can find one) will do almost everything as will the newer and more expensive CXN, anternatively the highly regarded M-Dac could be used as a dac/preamp using an AEX and Bluetooth receiver as sources.

rainsoothe

the_master66 said:
Hi Richardw42,

How about the NAD D7050 partnered with B & W 684 S2's or Q Acoustics 3050's

Should fit the bill and sound good....

Time to audtion a few combinations...

Thanks

The_Master66

The 684 might be bass lackluster, and I found the Q Acoustics too bright (ear piercing) when partnered with Marantz. So auditioning is in order. If your room isn't that big, you can do without floorstanders. Personally, I'd look at Quad Vena + Q Acoustics 2050i if you can still find a pair for sale, or maybe with Q Acoustics Concept 40. Don't know if the Quad has wi-fi, though.

If room isn't too big, get Naim Unitiqute 2 (you can gat this even used, Naim have great resale value, and you can save some cash in the process) + Focal Aria 906, which you can later upgrade with Nap100.

In any case, you'll get much better sound from standmounts in this price range. You need to look at around 800 - 1k pounds for decent floorstanders (if buying new).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts