Speaker advice??

Greg W

Sep 18, 2023
Visit site
Hi, sorry if this covering old ground...

I acquired some 2nd hand 1990's Tannoy 637 speakers which run from a relatively high power Yamaha amp. Basically I am happy with them, after previously finding new bookshelf B&W speakers oddly lacking in the lower range.

...BUT - if I were to upgrade at some point...can anyone give some hard advice on speakers to consider which would match or ideally better, the warmth, depth and clarity of the old Tannoys?? And what price are we looking at? (Without going OTT of course). Thank you!

twinkletoes

Hi Greg,

I have found like you I prefer the older sound signatures of speakers, modern speakers especially some budget models can sound a little "brittle" for my taste.

But I have found over the years amps play a massive role with regards to how speakers behave in this regard to.

Tannoy though really do have quite a "fat" sound even to day.

Brands ive tried that sound pretty full/fat are as follows and in no particular order, price is a different kettle of fish.

wharfdale lintons/dentons
roval
jbl
Klipsch heritage with the right amps.
newer higher end missions 700's 770's
harbeth
tannoy

Hope that helps

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I'd second a Mission option and add a Martin Logan consideration.

I also have second-hand Wharfedales that I've moved to a secondary setup and endorse second-hand. Used electronics of most types are a great option.

Fandango Andy

Hi, sorry if this covering old ground...

I acquired some 2nd hand 1990's Tannoy 637 speakers which run from a relatively high power Yamaha amp. Basically I am happy with them, after previously finding new bookshelf B&W speakers oddly lacking in the lower range.

...BUT - if I were to upgrade at some point...can anyone give some hard advice on speakers to consider which would match or ideally better, the warmth, depth and clarity of the old Tannoys?? And what price are we looking at? (Without going OTT of course). Thank you!
You say bookshelf speakers, are you just using the frequently used term, or do your speakers actually sit on a shelf? Of they do, I would recommend a.pair of Mission 701's. They are big, but one of the most forgiving speakers when it comes to placement. The price has crept up in recent years, buy you can normally still pick a pair up for between £50 and £70.

Reactions: JDL

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Fyne Audio if you can find a dealer for them
Some of my favourite speakers are of the now vintage title.
I always loved the old mission 763i for it's deep bass and velvet highs which I struggled to find in newer speakers despite going past it's original price point.

I demoed all sorts settling on QA-3050i at first then after a situation causing me to move them to another hifi I found myself again demoing all the favourites inc the wharfdale Evo 4.4, Bowers and Wilkins 603 etc etc which I didn't really like, only to be wowed by a pair of fayne audio f501s which to me were everything I was missing from the newer over bright speakers or somewhat flat wharfdales I'd heard.
(Maybe a pairing dislike between the Acram sa30 and radia) but dull they were.

Then a guy said I simply had to try the fyne f502s.
Within a minute of wheeling then in on a sack barrow? And playing a favourite track of mine I was enamoured with the things and that was decision made.

Everything I love about a larger drivers sound and a spacious rich textured sound was back but with the added treble sometimes missing with a warmer sound, just times 2.
I don't mean overly bassy I mean effortless music without anything being over or under done.

Ive never heard a sound quite like the fynes recently it's somewhat unique now but was normal yrs ago to have a warm powerful sound that makes you ride the volume dial more than perhaps you should.

The downward firing ports a joy to get along with.
Sensible speaker placement no longer an issue with being close to walls as I have no choice in my listening/bedroom.
I had to run the QA'S with foam bungs inserted which held them back somewhat.

At the price point I couldn't find anything better than them.
Even going a little higher it didn't get near what I get out of the fynes.

Greg W

Sep 18, 2023
Visit site
You say bookshelf speakers, are you just using the frequently used term, or do your speakers actually sit on a shelf? Of they do, I would recommend a.pair of Mission 701's. They are big, but one of the most forgiving speakers when it comes to placement. The price has crept up in recent years, buy you can normally still pick a pair up for between £50 and £70.
Hi, sorry for delay. No, I don't have shelves. the Tannoys are big whoppas which are floorstanders. Thanks for your input.

Greg W

Sep 18, 2023
Visit site
Some of my favourite speakers are of the now vintage title.
I always loved the old mission 763i for it's deep bass and velvet highs which I struggled to find in newer speakers despite going past it's original price point.

I demoed all sorts settling on QA-3050i at first then after a situation causing me to move them to another hifi I found myself again demoing all the favourites inc the wharfdale Evo 4.4, Bowers and Wilkins 603 etc etc which I didn't really like, only to be wowed by a pair of fayne audio f501s which to me were everything I was missing from the newer over bright speakers or somewhat flat wharfdales I'd heard.
(Maybe a pairing dislike between the Acram sa30 and radia) but dull they were.

Then a guy said I simply had to try the fyne f502s.
Within a minute of wheeling then in on a sack barrow? And playing a favourite track of mine I was enamoured with the things and that was decision made.

Everything I love about a larger drivers sound and a spacious rich textured sound was back but with the added treble sometimes missing with a warmer sound, just times 2.
I don't mean overly bassy I mean effortless music without anything being over or under done.

Ive never heard a sound quite like the fynes recently it's somewhat unique now but was normal yrs ago to have a warm powerful sound that makes you ride the volume dial more than perhaps you should.

The downward firing ports a joy to get along with.
Sensible speaker placement no longer an issue with being close to walls as I have no choice in my listening/bedroom.
I had to run the QA'S with foam bungs inserted which held them back somewhat.

At the price point I couldn't find anything better than them.
Even going a little higher it didn't get near what I get out of the fynes.
Yes, I need to have a Fyne demo!! Bit of a budget stretch for the 502, but interesting to hear your comment. These of course have Tannoy ancestry. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts