Speaker Advice

Raffles

May 21, 2022
Visit site
I am changing my Avalon Acoustics speakers after 10 years. I fancy a change and want some advice. I have a high end marantz sacd and an Atc amp. I was thinking of Harbeth, Russel k or the dynaudio special 40. Has anyone had any similar set ups ? Budget about 2k and happy to buy ex demo/second hand.

I am changing my Avalon Acoustics speakers after 10 years. I fancy a change and want some advice. I have a high end marantz sacd and an Atc amp. I was thinking of Harbeth, Russel k or the dynaudio special 40. Has anyone had any similar set ups ? Budget about 2k and happy to buy ex demo/second hand.
Even if they have you really do need to audition for yourself if only because we don't have your ears and the sound signature of the speakers mentioned are likely to be quite different to your Avalons.
Can you get home auditions of any of these listed!
What Avalons do you have?
Do these new speakers have to be standmounts?
I thought Avalons were floorstanders
Last question is 2k what? Dollars, pounds?
For that budget you might struggle as you will have to go second-hand or ex demo which means you cannot audition in your own home to all intents and purposes.
If I was downgrading from Avalons I would certainly look at Harbeth but I don't think you will get much for your budget.
Apologies for all the questions but I feel sure there will be a lot more coming your way... :)

Last edited:

Raffles

May 21, 2022
Visit site
Hello NP Evo 2. £2000. I appreciate I have to listen myself but wanted thoughts on speakers that could be a good fit for a marantz Atc como. Dont have to be stand mounts.

Hello NP Evo 2. £2000. I appreciate I have to listen myself but wanted thoughts on speakers that could be a good fit for a marantz Atc como. Dont have to be stand mounts.
Cheers,
They don't necessarily have to fit that combo they have to fit your room....
You will need decent stands so that is going to knock your budget down a bit, as those you quoted are standmounts.
Still assuming it is pounds.....

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Out of the ones you have mention I have listened to russel k. Though they sound nice and are quite impressive by design (which is quite unique) the design can lead to a lot of port noise if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music. And it happens at all volumes

Reactions: Al ears

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
What is the rest of your system? What do you listen too on it?
The general approach these days is to spend more on the source, if you have a Dual 505 for example, I would suggest a Rega turntable upgrade

Depends on the sound you're looking for. For a very natural presentation Harbeth P3 XD is the way to go but.... at £2500 it's over budget. Not heard these Dyns, again over budget.

The speaker I'm buying is the Dali Rubicon 2. IMO they better the Harbeths and only £1700. They are a small speaker with a big sound. That said, gut feeling is ATC will have the ideal synergy with your amp.

Whatever you choose, for that budget, a home demo is a must. We all have different ears and every speaker will have it's own sonic traits.

You have a number of dealers where you can shop demo. There's a Richer Sounds in Manchester who sell a number of different brands, incl Dalis, Kef LS50, Q Acoustics...

With your budget buying blind is hi-fi suicide. If you can't home demo, a shop demo will give you good idea

Reactions: Al ears

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site

Why are you wanting to change your speakers for some other brand/model?
Are your speakers the weakest link in your setup?

You have stated that you only listen to SACD/CD formats regarding all of your music. If you are happy with your source component(s) then maybe take a look at your amp and/ or preamp as a possible upgrade.

I'm mainly a LP & analog tape guy. To me this format is ideal regarding great sound.
A lot of music became available in the digital format that was not available in LP or analog tape format so I decided to collect SACD/CD's to encompass that music as well.
Unfortunately, digital had some unfavorable sonic issues that for what ever reason didn't seem to mesh well with solid state equipment that I was using or that I had auditioned at various audio shops.
In general, digital always sounded too bright and rather unnatural sounding.

Once I had started to listen to various valve amps & preamps in combination with various CD players did I realize that the brightness had gone and a more natural analog sound became very evident then I began to consider using only tube(valve) equipment instead of solid state for purposes of listening to SACD/CD's as the way to go.

I know have a digital playback system that sounds very natural and analog sounding to me. Using my turntable and tape machine with tubes presented a sound stage that lacked presence and sharpness, whereas as solid state filled everything in rather nicely, but by no means perfect, and provided a unique natural sound that I knew that I could live with permanently. Putting together a new analog playback system was relatively easy for me, a digital playback system proved to be rather difficult.

Just something to consider regarding your desire to change out your current speakers for other speakers.
Music to me is all about the sound and certain components do aid in that sound.
I know many people that change out components as often as they change clothes- they are HiFi hobby junkies rather than music lovers.

I would suggest auditioning as many components as you can before making any changes.
Just my opinions...

Last edited:

Raffles

May 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for an extensive reply. I am happy with the Marantz SA 11S3 and ATC SIA2-150. After 11 years with the same speaker I simply want a change. I am interested in people's thoughts on speakers that may be a good match for a marantz /atc combo. I know about listening myself etc and room size.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for an extensive reply. I am happy with the Marantz SA 11S3 and ATC SIA2-150. After 11 years with the same speaker I simply want a change. I am interested in people's thoughts on speakers that may be a good match for a marantz /atc combo. I know about listening myself etc and room size.
ATC makes excellent speakers. Spendor & Linn is also something to take a look at.

Tinman1952

Nothing wrong with wanting a change....I think it can often rekindle our interest/love of music when we become a bit 'jaded'. The Harbeth is the only speaker I've heard at a show that sounded 'just right'. However if I had the spare cash I would take the Dynaudio Special Forty in a heartbeat.....👍

Nothing wrong with wanting a change....I think it can often rekindle our interest/love of music when we become a bit 'jaded'. The Harbeth is the only speaker I've heard at a show that sounded 'just right'. However if I had the spare cash I would take the Dynaudio Special Forty in a heartbeat.....👍
Unfortunately new Dynaudio Special 40's are now £2800 and I doubt you'll find many second hand.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Raffles

May 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Marantz website and they promote Bowers and Wilkins with their CD players/amps. has anyone used B&W with a Marantz cd or ATC amp?

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Marantz website and they promote Bowers and Wilkins with their CD players/amps. has anyone used B&W with a Marantz cd or ATC amp?
I don’t think they ‘promote’ any brand, though I’ve seen them demo with various brands over the years.

As two others have said already, you seem to be overlooking British made ATCs, which have a transferable 6 year warranty, so are a safe used choice. You could consider SCM19s, which are larger stand mounts. Or used SCM40, which you can find for about £2500 secondhand if you’re patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: A-Line

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts