admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Phillips LCD TV 37PF5521D/12, I also have a Xbox 360 linked to the TV by a HDMI to HDMI cable. I want to connect my Xbox 360 sound to my Home Theater Sound System (which is a Panasonic SC-HT878) but i can see no way to do so as there is not an audio out at the back of the Xbox 360. I am thinking I should connect an audio cable to my TV from my Sound System, thinking that whatever comes on the TV screen the sound system will play the audio for the device that is playing on the TV. Reading the TV connections manual, the TV requires a SPDIF cable to take place of an ordinary audio cable (red and white plugs). The trouble is that my sound system does not have a SPDIF audio in it only has the ordinary audio in (red and white plugs). What is the best option for me to pass sound from my Xbox 360 to my Sound System (which is a Panasonic SC-HT878)?

A

Anonymous

There are 2 audio options. You could connect your xbox to your amp either by optical cable if your amp accepts one or via component AV cable. There are plenty out there made for the xbox. Connect the red, green, and blue color-banded connectors on the HD AV cable to the corresponding color inputs (Y, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr) on your TV. Leave the yellow color-banded composite connector unconnected. Then connect the red & white connectors to your amp. Job done. If the red & white won't reach as happened to me with my nintendo wii just get another red & white audio cable and male to female connector to lenghten it.

Hope this resolves it.

A

Anonymous

ok, first of all, thankyou for your reply

I have found a cable designed for the xbox http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/742126/Joytech-XBox-360-Digital-AV-Component-Cable/Product.html could you look at the cable for me to confirm that it is the right one for my needs please or recommend a cable. Can you confirm that this cable gives picture of an HD quality that I already have as the Xbox is connected to the TV by a HDMI to HDMI cable. Also, looking at the picture of the cable (if it the right one) it has a lot of plugs coming out of the end. I'm confused can you tell me again what I have to do with the plugs, which ones go into the TV and which two go into the Sound System.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="james316"]ok, first of all, thankyou for your reply

I have found a cable designed for the xbox http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/742126/Joytech-XBox-360-Digital-AV-Component-Cable/Product.html could you look at the cable for me to confirm that it is the right one for my needs please or recommend a cable. Can you confirm that this cable gives picture of an HD quality that I already have as the Xbox is connected to the TV by a HDMI to HDMI cable. Also, looking at the picture of the cable (if it the right one) it has a lot of plugs coming out of the end. I'm confused can you tell me again what I have to do with the plugs, which ones go into the TV and which two go into the Sound System.[/quote]

Ok James. Lets help you. Yes the cable you describe will do the job Component cables do deliver High Def sound and pictures. So lose the HDMI lead to your TV. Then:

Connect the red, green, and blue color-banded connectors on the Component cable to the corresponding colour inputs (Y, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr) on your TV. Leave any other colour-banded composite connector unconnected, except the remaining red & white connectors. These go to your amp. You will now have HD

Also follow the 1st link below for pictured instructions that will help and the 2nd link for a top quality cable. Remember the better the cable the better the results.

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/connectionguides/xbox360.html

http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/11391/groupID/707/categoryID/2376/v/af59ac6d-e064-4b55-8712-bec1bfee3781

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's worth noting that if your XBox 360 has an HDMI socket and you are using the component cable, you won't be getting 1080p, just 720p or 1080i. What TV do you have? If it's an HD Ready set, this isn't important really. If it's Full HD, you won't be getting the best quality picture you could be getting if you're using the component cable...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]It's worth noting that if your XBox 360 has an HDMI socket and you are using the component cable, you won't be getting 1080p, just 720p or 1080i. What TV do you have? If it's an HD Ready set, this isn't important really. If it's Full HD, you won't be getting the best quality picture you could be getting if you're using the component cable...[/quote]

True, but as he wanted to sort the audio I thought component was the best solution for him True thou he could keep the HDMI if he has 1080p and just use the component cables red and white audio cables for sound

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, that's what I was thinking. But then if the TV's an HD Ready set, there's probably not much point. I'm surprised the TV hasn't got RCA phono audio out sockets to be honest, as this would sort the issue...

A

Anonymous

you said about if the audio leads don't reach your surround system from your tv, you can use some sort of audio extension lead. can you post a link of the cable so i know what to buy please.

i think you said you were in the same situation yourself.

A

Anonymous

by the way my tv is only hd ready so the 1080p doesn't matter

A

Anonymous

Just go out and buy a normal sterio phono lead and then ask for a male to female connector. I've attached a link you want the DUEL PHONO ADAPTER £1.89 (3rd item down) this will link your extended audio cable.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/st=db/sp=resultsprod/co=yes/sf=prod_group/se=Cable%20Adapters

phono leads on this link

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Stereo%20Phono%20Cables/op=eq/sf=prod_group/se=Audio%20Cables/op=eq.html?id=LyoTReKr

You'l note I haven't picked out to expensive, that my friend is your choice.

Oh and seeing as your TV is not 1080p stick to the component cable and lose the HDMI lead

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Or something like this is cheaper if you want optical and HDMI together!

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Only thing i can't suss out with XBOX360 is 5.1 surround.

Everything is just in Dolby Digital Stereo. Games and DVDs. Strange. This is my second Xbox360. I'm sure (but can't remember exactly!) my old component/optical xbox360 outputted in 5.1.

Any suggestions, as I'd like to use the machine as a wired media streamer

A

Anonymous

Pete Shields:
Any suggestions, as I'd like to use the machine as a wired media streamerÿ

Have you been into the sound menu and chosen Dolby Digital instead of stereo?

A

Anonymous

So you have HDMI > TV, optical > receiver, you are playing DVD/games with a 5.1 soundtrack and the xbox output is set to Dolby Digital 5.1, and you aren't getting 5.1? Is it a game / DVD where you have to choose the 5.1 option from the menus?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Sussed itout!

Xbox360 optical lead plugged into the optical out on my amp!

Now it works fine in 5.1

The digital stereo was going into my TV through the HDMI, and then back to the amp via the TV optical lead.

I believe that he latest Panasonic freesat TV's optical out is only stereo, hence the Dolby 2 signal

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Just watching the electric proms on BBC HD on my Panasonic th- 50pz81b and the signal being sent to my amp is shown as 5.1.

Can't really tell by listening, but it's looking good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts