Soup up my turntable?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have started collecting records for the last 2 years, so obviously I am quite new to the world of turntables. So far, I am quite happy with my budget turntable (project debut). But since my record collection just crossed 200, I have been considering upgrading my turntable (accessories) a bit without breaking the bank. I am contemplating spending $600 on the following items:

1. Ortofon 2M blue

2. Pro-ject Arcyl It Platter

3. Record Doctor V (Vacuum Cleaner)

Are these worthy investments? Your suggestions would be very helpful. Don't want to spend money and end up "not hearing any difference"

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Over 200 records now? I think it's time for a real upgrade like a new Turntable! The Debut is OK for entry level but your large collection deserves more. I would sell your Debut and try to spend $1000 on somthing new. That's just my opnion. What are the other components in your system?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
A new TT was a tempting option but my wife might notice such a big change and kill me. The debut goes into my Rega Fono MM pre-amplifier and then to Moon 250i (previously known as Moon i-1) int. amplifier. The speakers are Tannoy DC6T (not the SE ones).

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you have a nice integrated amp, I have listened to it before, and you also have a good phono stage. You really do need to upgrade that Turntable. What country are you living in? I got a good deal on a Rega RP40 and couldn't be happier. I think a few places still have them and are discounting.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I was going to say there is a place I found in Toronto Canada that is selling the Rega RP40 for $1195 CAD. Just a thought. I don't want your wife to kill you. *pardon*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I actually think you listed some good and sensible items short of changing the turntable.

I am a fan of Ortofons. They tread the middle ground tonally and are well made. The Blue is imo a good choice.

I can't comment on the platter but a record cleaning machine will always come in handy regardless of future upgrades.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was a bit skeptical about the platter. I have been reading reviews of Debut owners who swear the platter "added a lot" to the sound. The cleaning machine is the cheapest vacuum cleaner I could find over Amazon with good reviews.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
platter as an upgrade, I brought one to use on my Debut 3 and found that it improved the sound compared to the standard metal one with the felt mat.

Two questions, have you thought about trying a different mat (cork or plastic) and also do you use a speedbox to change speeds or do you do it manually.

As well as changing the platter, I have also changed my cartridge to a 2M red, added a speedbox and upgraded the wall-mart type power supply to a better one.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

*music2*

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience with the platter.

I used to have a cork mat with my prvious turntable (Project essential). Could be an option and use the additional money to buy more records :). My turntable has power line attached to it so I don't think I can add a speedbox.

Regarding the cartirdge, my TT came with 2M Red.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
FahadAhmed said:
I live in Bangladesh so online purchase is my only option. :( Not too many HiFi options here.

There are few good hi fi shops in bangalore, could be a nice holiday too, something to keep your wife happy aswell.

How is the price of HiFi in India? I usually import my stuff from UK (sometimes US) but end up paying a lot of money for the weight. Any online store you can recommend that can give me some idea about the price?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
FahadAhmed said:
I live in Bangladesh so online purchase is my only option. :( Not too many HiFi options here.

There are few good hi fi shops in bangalore, could be a nice holiday too, something to keep your wife happy aswell.

How is the price of HiFi in India? I usually import my stuff from UK (sometimes US) but end up paying a lot of money for the weight. Any online store you can recommend that can give me some idea about the price?

Sorry I actually live in birmingham, on my last visit to india I visited few hifi shops in bangalore and the price, in comparison to uk, is almost same. I don't think there are many online option. Best to contact them by phone you can negotiate on the price too.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So today i dicovered a used technics sl 1210 in a store, it didnt have any cartridge and the store didnt have a setup for demo. The guy is willing to take my project debut and has asked for an additonal $500 for the technics (I get to keep my Ortofon 2M red and mount it on the technics). Do you guys think it is going to be a good deal? The turntable looks pretty fresh with dustcover and all.

D

Deleted member 108165

Personally I think this will be very much a sideways move unless you fit a very expensive cartridge to the Technics, plus be careful, the Technics is an old model and could have had a hard life as a possible DJ deck. You can seriously modify the Technics but this will cost a lot of extra cash.

As a note I am an ex-owner of a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, I replaced this with a Pioneer PLX1000 + Ortofon 2M Black.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Pioneer PLX1000, did you buy it used or new. Looks exactly like the technics. Spending $500 for a sideways move doesn't sound very logical. I have seen reviews/ opinions wheer people claim the technics one was one of the greatest turntables ever made. I acutally have neveer seen one in action. That's why I am a bit tempted.

iMark

FahadAhmed said:

I used to have a cork mat with my prvious turntable (Project essential). Could be an option and use the additional money to buy more records :). My turntable has power line attached to it so I don't think I can add a speedbox.

We have a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort that came with the acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2M Red. We like the sound very much but will consider changing the stylus. You don't need to take cartridge out, you can simply take the 2M Red stylus out and replace it with a 2M Blue stylus. After that your cartridge sounds like a 2M Blue. You save some money there so you could buy some more records.

Adding a speedbox would be my other upgrading suggestion but you may have one of the models that has the new motor that doesn't need a speedbox.

D

Deleted member 108165

FahadAhmed said:
Pioneer PLX1000, did you buy it used or new. Looks exactly like the technics. Spending $500 for a sideways move doesn't sound very logical. I have seen reviews/ opinions wheer people claim the technics one was one of the greatest turntables ever made. I acutally have neveer seen one in action. That's why I am a bit tempted.

The Technics was/is indeed a spectacular tt and remained almost unchanged until production ceased in 2010, they are very robust hence why DJ's adpoted them, (it also has a dial adjustable VTA, which the Project does not have), but I think the likes of Rega/Project/et al would probably perform better for the price point you have in mind. The Ortofon 2M Blue is a definite upgrade over the Red; I have progressed through the entire 2M range from Red-Blue-Bronze-Black; they are all very good, (the Bronze and Black are outstanding).

I bought the Pioneer new as it was only released last year. Yes it is a DJ-type deck but I admire the looks, and the direct-drive, the reproduction is entirely sufficient for my requirements, overall I am more than happy with it and that is all that matters. Of course I am fully aware that the 2M Black would sound infinitely better on a "proper" tt, and I could have bought a superior tt with the money I have spent on the Pioneer, but the point is it suits me perfectly. At the end of the day it's a personal thing.

So if you fancy a stab at the Technics then go for it is all I can say, just try to obtain as much info as you can regarding its previous use - DJ or domestic use.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Direct Drive Technics decks are very sturdy.

Check by listening in a (very quiet room). It should run absolutely silent. Check for play in the arm although it would be my first upgrade anyway.

I would certainly consider swapping the Project as the Technics will prove a far better base to upgrade but it could be costly (thinking SME ...)

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
FahadAhmed said:

The Technics was/is indeed a spectacular tt and remained almost unchanged until production ceased in 2010, they are very robust hence why DJ's adpoted them, (it also has a dial adjustable VTA, which the Project does not have), but I think the likes of Rega/Project/et al would probably perform better for the price point you have in mind. The Ortofon 2M Blue is a definite upgrade over the Red; I have progressed through the entire 2M range from Red-Blue-Bronze-Black; they are all very good, (the Bronze and Black are outstanding).

I bought the Pioneer new as it was only released last year. Yes it is a DJ-type deck but I admire the looks, and the direct-drive, the reproduction is entirely sufficient for my requirements, overall I am more than happy with it and that is all that matters. Of course I am fully aware that the 2M Black would sound infinitely better on a "proper" tt, and I could have bought a superior tt with the money I have spent on the Pioneer, but the point is it suits me perfectly. At the end of the day it's a personal thing.

So if you fancy a stab at the Technics then go for it is all I can say, just try to obtain as much info as you can regarding its previous use - DJ or domestic use.

Well its either $500 on the used one or I spend the money to upgrade the Platter, Cartridge (2M Blue) and a speedbox for the Pro-ject for almost similar kind of money. If I dont spend more on upgrades very soon, I guess keeping the Project sounds like a better option.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Direct Drive Technics decks are very sturdy.

Check by listening in a (very quiet room). It should run absolutely silent. Check for play in the arm although it would be my first upgrade anyway.

I would certainly consider swapping the Project as the Technics will prove a far better base to upgrade but it could be costly (thinking SME ...)

I just checked out the price of SME tonearms on Needle doctor. Dear God, the cheapest one is $2,400.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
iMark said:
FahadAhmed said:

We have a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort that came with the acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2M Red. We like the sound very much but will consider changing the stylus. You don't need to take cartridge out, you can simply take the 2M Red stylus out and replace it with a 2M Blue stylus. After that your cartridge sounds like a 2M Blue. You save some money there so you could buy some more records.

Adding a speedbox would be my other upgrading suggestion but you may have one of the models that has the new motor that doesn't need a speedbox.
The price difference between the stylus and the entire cartridge would be around $30. The speed box will work on my TT, but different version than the regular one as my TT has a captive power lead.

It is kind of pricy though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Speed-Strobo-Turntable-Controller/dp/B00R7XKP62/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422799775&sr=8-3&keywords=project+speed+box

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The first upragde arrived yesterday. Not for the turntable though. The Record Doctor V vacuum cleaner. I have always wondered what those expensive vacuum cleaners bring to the sound. What this inexpensive one just brought with it...WOW! While spin clean did work and make the records sound "better", it never really did that much to the clicks and pops. This one brought the surface noise down by 80% on average, which I could not previously achieve on brand new vinyls (some of them bought over amazon do come pretty noisy). Amazing little machine. Brings an end to my relationship with the spin clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts